James Conley???

ORUalum

no longer listed on the roster.  just an error with the webpage or has anyone heard anything about this???

5a0ccf86a48ec_Screenshot-2017-11-152017-18MensBasketballRoster.png.8ff901df8a409922d45754d5682053bc.png

Conley’s mother passed away recently. Understandable if basketball isn’t the #1 thing on his mind right now.

Whatever the reason, I wish James the best.

Sorry to hear that. Maybe he was not happy at ORU or with the coaching of Mills.  Who knows?

Losing out to a freshman and a top PG from TX coming in next year was probably a factor.

I wish him well.  I just don't understand why guys don't finish the semester.  They are going to lose the eligibility anyway and injuries can happen.

I have to believe he is still grieving the loss of his mother. That is a hard thing to go through - especially at his age. I am praying for James. I hope he has someone he can go to for counsel - and did not make this decision in a vacuum. 

If it was grief, wouldn't the staff say 'take a week or two and make sure this is what you want to do?'

He has already been removed from the team roster.

It just seem there is more to it.  He is not starting and had to two subpar performances.  Also, some guys just do not respond well to yellers and Mills appears to be a yeller.

Seemed like a really nice guy. That is a tough situation. I wish him well in his future endeavors. 

This appears to be similar to the Chris Crawford situation. It is headscratching - why leave before semester break? He is averaging 10 minutes a game - but not starting. I hope this is not about playing time or his spot on the depth chart. It certainly leaves us short handed on the perimeter. 

God speed to James Conley....but 20-21 year old kids don't always make the most intelligent decisions.....heck, I was already married at that age.....in hindsight...not the best of decisions by TheEagleman.....:blink:

I can only imagine how difficult it must be for Conley having lost his mother, but everything I've heard so far is that this is all about playing time:  he sees that it's Kerns, Fuqua and Ruder this year and Kerns, Fuqua and Milton next year, and he's afraid he's only going to play single-digit minutes for the next two seasons.

But, as we said about Crawford and Jeffries, I can not understand why these guys leave when they do.  This isn't AAU ball; you can't just hop from team to team without paying the penalty in terms of eligibility!

Unfortunate. I would think we'll see Eman playing some more in the 3 spot now to offset some of those lost minutes.

What are you guys talking about? You can't separate grief from any part of life. It sounds to me like there were compounding factors and because he may or may not be dealing with the grief only a son knows in losing his mom, decided it wasn't worth it. I don't blame him at all and honestly, every single post about this should be in 100% support of James.

At some point, basketball does not matter

I think it's just the timing of it all that brings a lot of speculation into the matter......I mean, two games into the season just seems odd....I wish him all the best...

What's the percentage of chance he's playing in the Mayor's Cup in two years?

I am sympathetic to his position and understand that grief can be debilitating. He needs to do what is best for his well being. 

If this is related to playing time and not to his family situation - that is headscratching from a timing standpoint.