ORU at Tulsa (Mayor's Cup)

ORUalum

Big Albert had 1 rebound last night.....that's 1 more than a dead man......:|

I listened to most of the first half. I started listening when ORU was down 20-17 and listened until the end of the half. I probably listened to the worst stretch of the game, but it seemed like the further we got down, the worst our shot selection was. Too many guys were trying to make up the double digit deficit in one shot. This is something the guys can certainly learn from. When you get down, you have to refocus and make sure you get a good shot every time. Hopefully, this is an area where they'll get better. 

4 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

and What is Harris' injury and the prognosis? Is it a secret?...:|

Adam said in the broadcast that they hoped to have Jontray for the game with OSU

Nit-pick department:  anybody else surprised and/or disappointed to see ORU's new coach, in the TU-ORU game no less, wearing merely a linen sport coat and no tie?

What's next - a Christmas sweater ala Greg Kampe?

Bring back Lake Kelly's $1000 double-breasted suits!

I don't mind the no tie look.  I question the gray shirt paired with gray sports jacket look.

Greg Kampe dressed like he was prepared to go straight to the all you can eat buffet at the Sizzler after the game.

DOmgyF-W0AAh4J4.jpg

• Upvote 1

Back to the game, how about that Bill Haisten take down of TU basketball mediocrity and Coach Haith? 

That photo is sad (not implying the crowd would have been better at ORU).  Where have all the hoop fans in Tulsa gone?

Funny how we both were at the game but have different impressions lol! 

I thought RJ confirmed that he is Big time by the way he was getting to the rim & SCORING against bigger guards. That kid is the real deal. 

Owens was outplayed because he wasn’t on the floor. The foul to start the second half was extremely petty. But once he got in a rhythm later in the second half, it was obvious that he was tough to handle for the TU bigs. 

Free throw shooting was horrendous and the second unit didn’t seem to have much offensive potency. It seemed like they were still learning the plays because they looked lost at times, running into each other. 

There were some defensive lapses but TU also made some really tough shots against good defense. 

Don’t get me wrong, we have a lot to improve. But I think these guys can still be really good come conference play. 

41 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

I don't mind the no tie look.  I question the gray shirt paired with gray sports jacket look.

Greg Kampe dressed like he was prepared to go straight to the all you can eat buffet at the Sizzler after the game.

DOmgyF-W0AAh4J4.jpg

Reminds me of the spare jacket they keep in the coat closet at five-star restaurants:  "Pardon me, sir, but perhaps you would feel more comfortable dining in this...?" LOL

58 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

Back to the game, how about that Bill Haisten take down of TU basketball mediocrity and Coach Haith? 

That photo is sad (not implying the crowd would have been better at ORU).  Where have all the hoop fans in Tulsa gone?

Maybe they should change their longtime PA Announcer?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Oklahoma City.

OKC has one (maybe two) more seasons before becoming a perennial lottery team.

11 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

Maybe they should change their longtime PA Announcer?

I was in the arena last night; the two guys I was sitting with and I made a game of counting how many different ways the TU public address announcer could mangle "Nzekwesi". 

I think he finally stumbled onto the proper version late in the second half; I surmised it was because it was the only variation he hadn't yet tried.  My favorite sounded something like "IN-zee-ECK-wiss-see".

Good thing it wasn't a drinking game, or I would have been HAMMERED. :drunk:

4 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Nit-pick department:  anybody else surprised and/or disappointed to see ORU's new coach, in the TU-ORU game no less, wearing merely a linen sport coat and no tie?

Come on... 

No. 

1 hour ago, vcboy2000 said:

I thought RJ confirmed that he is Big time by the way he was getting to the rim & SCORING against bigger guards. That kid is the real deal. 

RJ showed that he was fearless. And because he has skill, albeit skill in need of development, I think he will be big time for us down the road. But he's not big time... yet. 

23 minutes ago, WingMaaaan said:

RJ showed that he was fearless. And because he has skill, albeit skill in need of development, I think he will be big time for us down the road. But he's not big time... yet. 

I know it's just 2 games and I know this will not be popular, but I see RJ as a good D1 backup PG (but currently the team's best option at PG). 

I think he's an energy guy off the bench that could provide toughness/quickness on the defensive end and an ability to get to the rim on offense.  He does not appear to be a consistent knock down shooter. 

Of course, that is assuming Milton is as good as advertised -- bigger, better shooter/scorer, elite court vision

16 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

I know it's just 2 games and I know this will not be popular, but I see RJ as a good D1 backup PG (but currently the team's best option at PG). 

I think he's an energy guy off the bench that could provide toughness/quickness on the defensive end and an ability to get to the rim on offense.  He does not appear to be a consistent knock down shooter. 

Of course, that is assuming Milton is as good as advertised -- bigger, better shooter/scorer, elite court vision

Yeah, I agree. That's probably true. A good mid-major program should have a solid backup PG and I could see RJ filling that role. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Old Titan said:

What's next - a Christmas sweater ala Greg Kampe?

Bring back Lake Kelly's $1000 double-breasted suits!

At least he wasn't wearing an orange tie! Maybe he can get a custom Vegas gold blazer for big games.