ORU at Tulsa (Mayor's Cup)

ORUalum

Kenpom has the score at 81-69 Tulsa, so that line is spot on...

Last year's game was not pretty for ORU, so my head says that Tulsa will pull away, but my heart tells me that Paul Mills is the real deal, and that his experience in big games could alone be a difference maker...

I'm not betting money, so I'll go with my heart and say ORU 76 Tulsa 72......LET'S DO THIS!

Wish Harris was available & healthy. Their guards are taller and more athletic - which could cause all kinds of problems. Hopefully they won’t shoot well from the perimeter. Wonder if we might employ a zone defense to limit dribble penetration? If so, it could negate our rebounding advantage. 

We need a lot of things (high shooting percentage, rebounding, low turnovers, etc) to go right - and for TU to struggle from the field/free throw line. It’s our first road test and will give us a glimpse of this team’s mental toughness. 

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

That line is getting pretty close to becoming tempting...I love an underdog to cover in a rivalry game.  8)

I️ was thinking the same thing. This early in the season it’s almost impossible to predict a rivalry game one way or the other. But it’s hard to say whether this game will really be treated like one by coach Mills. Unless he’s able to REALLY get the guys excited about this one, I️ think TU runs away with I️t.

Big first test for Mills. 

If the coach needs to get his guys excited to play well then we have the wrong players.  I think we have some competitors.  No prediction on score, but they will play hard throughout. 

I have to say, pretty surprised by the double-digits lines all the way around. I don't know about TU running away and hiding in this one, especially if they're getting pushed around by Lamar. They were as bad as we were last year.

Just found out the ORUWBB game against UTA will be on ESPN3 starting at 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time tonight.  Looks like I will be watching the ladies on ESPN3 while listening to the guys on The Franchise via the TuneIn app.  Go Golden Eagles!

• Upvote 1

Not sure that ORU will win tonight but TU can't be good getting pushed around at home by stinkin' Lamar.....I kind of like ORU +12 but hard to bet on a team that I haven't even seen play yet......but I lean towards ORU tonight with the points....:geek:

Pre-game scouting report from Ben Johnson at the Tulsa World.

I swear - I like Ben, but his tone of voice when he writes makes me sound downright cheerful. 

I didn't think that was possible!

ORU took the TU punch to start the game, but Tulsa killed that ORU second unit with Conley and Miller on the court

Kind of what I expected; ORU down 15 at half.

I probably would have re-inserted Owens with 2 fouls to try and slow down Etou even it meant risking a third foul.

Nice half from DaQuan.....he filled up the stat sheet.

Unlike Sutton, good to see Mills is not adverse to calling a timeout to try and end a run.

Poor free throw shooting and defense.

19 turnovers.

Have to improve.

Love the toughness the guys showed to keep fighting to the end. Lots to improve on from this performance, but not much time before heading to Stillwater. 

Sounds like TU hammered us good. No D and poor shooting a bad combo...and our big men didn't dominate which was needed to have a chance....could see quite a few games like this over the next 5-6 weeks....:|

Thoughts from tonight - probably my only chance all season to see the Golden Eagles in person.

Plain and simple...  whichever team had Junior Etou on their squad was going to win the game tonight.  He was by far the most talented player on the court.  Unfortunately, his jersey was white with the name Tulsa written on it.  Game over.

As expected, our guards were too small to make a positive impact in the game.  While R. J. is a bulldog (just as Coach Mills describes him), he looked like a middle schooler on the court tonight compared to the Tulsa guards.  Our guards were constantly being challenged to even move the ball around the perimeter, much less getting it into the paint.  This may/will be a recurring theme through the 2017-18 campaign.

Javan White was solid tonight - active on the boards and driving to the basket.  He seems to be fully recovered from his injury and should continue to improve this season as the rust wears off.

Albert was virtually non-existent, betting pushed around on offense and drawing two quick fouls in the first half before riding the pine.  His night was essentially over when he re-entered the game to start the second half, and picked up foul number three eight seconds into the half.

E-Man was very active on both sides of the court, but I'm pretty sure the coaching staff was not pleased with his three "launches" from downtown, with none of them connecting.  He can add so much more to this team closer to the basket, but he was probably frustrated at the difficulty of gettting the ball to him when he was closer to the basket.

Austin Ruder is going to hit some big shots for us this season - just not many tonight. 

If we can't improve our free throw shooting, we will lose some games that we should have won.  And, as there may not be many games that fall into the "should win" category, we really don't have the luxury of giving any away. 

The most disappointing part of the evening was the crowd (or lack thereof) in the Reynolds Center. There was no energy in the building - because there were no PEOPLE in the building.  The announced attendance was 4,437, but my estimate of actual fans in the door was 2,500 - 2,800.  College basketball in Tulsa has fallen way further than I had imagined.

Foul trouble and terrible FT shooting.  Thats a recipe for an uphill battle no matter who you play.

I didn't think the defense was terrible.  They hit quite a few contested shots and did a lot of damage at the line.

Having small quick gaurds can be an advantage.  Unfortunately when you want to run everything through the post the lane is clogged a lot.  It seemed like Sam and RJ had bigger and slower guys on them all night.  Sam got to the line  a couple times but not enough.  I think those two should be able to put a lot of stress on a defense.  Harris hopefully gets cleared soon as well.  He was sorely missed in this game.

Albert Owens seems to have a history of coming up small in big games....ORU really needed him to dominate last night and sounds like he was the one who was dominated plus perhaps took some silly fouls?....granted, TheEagleman did not see the game so I am interested in what those who were there have to say......I guess I was hoping for better play out of our big senior center this season....and What is Harris' injury and the prognosis? Is it a secret?...:|