ORU at Tulsa (Mayor's Cup)

ORUalum

The line opens with TU as a double digit favorite at home.......-11.5

Looks like early money has already taken a point off

Who knows how this game will play out....TheEagleman would not be shocked if ORU won the game or lost by 20.....the game on Friday night vs. Avila had some positive points but this was an NAIA opponent who scored 72 points against us....but TU did play poorly in a home loss against an average mid major....not sure if Lamar is going to be as good as they were last year.....so anything could happen tomorrow night at Reynolds....but I sure am hoping that ORU kicks the snot out of them....hard to believe no local TV in Tulsa...it's The Mayors Cup for crying out loud....that's pathetic.....:^)

Mayor's Cup: TU, ORU to meet in a clash of star big men

For the 53rd edition of the Mayor’s Cup, two star big men will go head to head.

Leading Oral Roberts into the Reynolds Center on Monday night is Albert Owens, who poured in 23 points and nine rebounds in Friday’s season-opening 86-72 victory against NAIA-level opponent Avila.

On the other side of the matchup, TU boasts Junior Etou, the top scorer and rebounder from last season. Etou was limited by foul trouble Friday, resulting in the Hurricane’s 74-67 loss to Lamar.

“He got three offensive fouls,” coach Frank Haith said. “That is something you don’t plan (for) because we’re prepared to keep him out of fouls if he does his work early on the defensive end. It took him out of his game.”

FULL ARTICLE

Point spread sounds about right (probably even closer than what I would have thought a few weeks ago). Our frontcourt is an even match up or maybe even a little better that TU's... the question will be if our guards can keep up with theirs.

Is this game being broadcast on any TV?  The ESPN Family of Networks does not have it listed, not even on ESPN3.  Is TU that cheap that they cannot afford a broadcast on ESPN3?

1 hour ago, ORU82 said:

Is this game being broadcast on any TV?  The ESPN Family of Networks does not have it listed, not even on ESPN3.  Is TU that cheap that they cannot afford a broadcast on ESPN3?

CBS Sports Network holds the media rights for the AAC. CBS Sports Network is only in 60-70,000 households (no hard numbers because the network is not Neilson rated) so not a very good deal for the conference. With that limited reach it's better to have a OTT solution like ESPN3 with a much larger viewer footprint.

I would love to see ORU win this one but it's hard for TheEagleman to pick the Good Guys tonight....I honestly think we may in the long run have the better talent and if this game were played a month from now ORU would be a much more cohesive team....but so many new faces and a new system....plus playing in TU's building....no easy task tonight....this is surely a game we could steal if we get big performances from our front court and another inspired performance from RJ Fuqua...just maybe RJ wins one for his dad but I just can't predict it.....oh, what the heck...TheEagleman can NEVER predict a TU victory...it's not in me...I detest them......EXPECT A MIRACLE...ORU finds a way and carries Coach Paul Mills to a 2-0 record with a stunning 77-75 victory.........:eagles::tb-blue::eagles:

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

I think TU wins going away........88-65

Growing pains...

Unfortunately I think this may be pretty close

I'm expecting a typical ORU-TU early-season struggle:  poor shooting perecentages, lots of turnovers, both sides mad at the refs, etc.

ORU's rebounding and TU's poor foul shooting keep it somewhat closer than expected, but eventually a predictable outcome:  TU pulls away by double-figures, final score predicated by just how may double-bonus free throws are taken.

I haven't seen Tulsa play at all so I don't have a prediction.  I'm sure they don't want to start the year 0-2 at home so I expect the energy level to be high.

TU isn't Kentucky.....they stink.....I know we have issues and are just coming together but anything can happen....agree with OT that this will probably be an ugly game....the pressure is all on TU to win....ORU playing with house money.....as stated before, we can lose by 20 or we could steal a win.....TheEagleman can't stand TU and their fans....EXPECT A MIRACLE!!...:eagles:

I'm expecting TU to win, but I don't think they will win going away.

I actually think there's a way for ORU to win. We have the better and deeper frontcourt in my opinion. If Albert and Eman can assert themselves, they should be able to get the TU bigs in foul trouble. Also, this is a prime opportunity for Coach Mills to use the big lineup with EMan at the 3. That lineup should feast on the boards and EMan could have a special game. 

The big question is if Fuqua and company can hold their own in the backcourt. I think that they'll make a valiant effort, but will end up with some key turnovers that decide the game. In the end, the good guys will lose a close one but will have tu fans panicked for all 40 minutes. 

42 minutes ago, ORUParentLurker said:

I haven't seen Tulsa play at all so I don't have a prediction.  I'm sure they don't want to start the year 0-2 at home so I expect the energy level to be high.

I followed GameTracker and their message board throughout the Lamar game. They sound very similar to recent years:  athletic but not particularly well-coached.  Not much size at all (the big Australian Magnay unexpectedly turned pro five weeks ago).  Weaknesses include rebounding and free throw shooting.  They will play a LOT of guys; one or two typically have a career night against ORU.  Couple of streaky 3-point shooters who could go off against ORU's still-suspect perimeter defense.  Also have a couple of slick guards who can get to the rim, but are not great finishers.

Ironically, DaQuan Jeffries may be the one to worry about:  tough match-up for ORU with Jontray Harris in a boot, and no doubt will be insprired to show ORU what they're missing with his transfer.

TU fans will jump into the Arkansas River if ORU wins this game tonight....I think that would be fun to watch.....there would be a definite suicide watch at 11th and Harvard if TU falls to 0-2......let's make it happen.....:-P

12 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

...tough match-up for ORU with Jontray Harris in a boot...

Looking beyond the TU match up we need Harris back as quick as possible to have a chance in the non-conference.

Anybody know what Dontray Harris' injury is and the prognosis???.....ORU-TU line is ORU +12 as of noon today....:eagles:

23 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Anybody know what Dontray Harris' injury is and the prognosis???.....ORU-TU line is ORU +12 as of noon today....:eagles:

That line is getting pretty close to becoming tempting...I love an underdog to cover in a rivalry game.  8)