Scott Sutton Named OSU Assistant

Old Titan

16 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

Please remember that ORU has a fan base way outside of either Tulsa or the State of Oklahoma who could care less about either what the Tulsa or other Oklahoma press says about ORU.  Why?  Because they have been saying it for decades.  For those of us who support the program from afar, we will continue to do so.  I am sorry for the locals in the Tulsa metroplex who support ORU and have to put up with the local so-called "press", but life goes on.  I am excited for the future of our program.  These next couple of years we will take our lumps, but I personally believe our best days are ahead of us, and no, I am not Joel although I did attended ORU with his brother and sister.  To me when someone mentions "OSU", I personally think of the true "OSU', The Ohio State University.

Yes, life does go on, and that "life" includes trying to convince LOCAL ticket buyers to come to the games, and LOCAL sponsors to support the program, and LOCAL media to report any success to that end.

I suppose when the "support" of out-of-state ORU fans reaches higher levels, local support won't matter. 

But until that day comes, however, it matters GREATLY.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, WingMaaaan said:

Gotcha. Well, I look forward to the countless several few editorials and tweets and you'll be posting proving this point. 

Don't shoot the messenger for reporting how a LOT of folks outside the ORU bubble feel about the program right now.

I'll try to bring nothing but sunshine and lollipops if you prefer, but that's never really been my style...I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

56 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

And why do you think the media (and many in the general public) harbor that kind of animosity towards ORU in general, and men's basketball (now) in particular?

Goes back to one of the oldest sayings in the book:  you reap what you sow.

This is why I don't share the opinion that "Sutton is a decent guy." His continued lies about being hamstrung by ORU in recruiting are classless and Mills is showing them to be false.

Sutton was either completely burned out or thought he was entitled to a lifetime no-show head coaching job.

If the local media wants to continue to run with "Boo hoo, Sutton was so mistreated. He should have been allowed to coach there forever putting in zero effort" story line whatever.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Don't shoot the messenger for reporting how a LOT of folks outside the ORU bubble feel about the program right now.

I'll try to bring nothing but sunshine and lollipops if you prefer, but that's never really been my style...I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

Ha. You do you. I have no problem with any of it being shared but going back to my original point, I think the only people who think this is still a big deal are the ones inside the bubble.

Personally, I don't care what the media in Tulsa thinks about ORU; the university has its issues, that is not up for debate.  But if ORU wins on the court, it doesn't matter what anyone thinks... they'll all be trying to find their way into the bubble. 

• Like 1

There ya go, WingMaaan....when Paul Mills wins 20 (not this season) games,  people won't care anymore about what happened to Scott Sutton....TheEagleman agrees that Coach Sutton was probably burned out as it has been noticeable for a couple years now that he showed no fire on the bench.....and recruiting has suffered since Williams and Hankins left....so change is good and Mills has brought in some interesting players....let's see how it shakes out over the next few seasons....TheEagleman wishes Scott the best at OSU and he is probably best just hanging onto that job for as long as they will have him...:geek:

1 hour ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

This is why I don't share the opinion that "Sutton is a decent guy." His continued lies about being hamstrung by ORU in recruiting are classless and Mills is showing them to be false.

Sutton was either completely burned out or thought he was entitled to a lifetime no-show head coaching job.

If the local media wants to continue to run with "Boo hoo, Sutton was so mistreated. He should have been allowed to coach there forever putting in zero effort" story line whatever.

As I've repeatedly said ad nauseum, this is not about IF Scott Sutton should have been dismissed, all things considered.

It's about HOW the move was made, and how what could have been crafted as an unfortunate necessity instead came out looking cold and amateurish, for which ORU will likely pay a painful price for YEARS to come, whether they win or lose on the court.

Considering how many former Aggies work in the ORU Athletic Department, I'm guessing this tweet might cause some "office envy". 

Which begs to question:  was that the intent?  LOL

Hoover gonna Hoover, at the 9:23 mark.

Scott, as you may or may not expect, tries for the most part to take the high road.

But, still...

I'm no John Hoover fan, but as a journalist he had to ask --- especially if they have been swapping texts in which Scott had been grinching and moaning about his firing.

Hoover opened the door for him to rip ORU (which I'm sure Hoover wanted him to), but Scott took the high road.

I do think this is proof that all the recruiting stuff as an excuse was coming from the Suttons.  The university gave them a 48 hr jump start on the narrative by staying silent after botching the execution and timing of the firing.

I still contend as far as the rules at ORU and the atmosphere on campus --- it has never been easier to recruit to ORU.  (edit: just to be clear it was easier when ORU was winning, but as far as the restrictions of on campus rules, things have never been easier)

• 5 years later...

I like Boynton and think he’s a nice guy - but he has only been to the NCAA Tournament one year out of six(?) seasons. With all of the talent that he and his staff have recruited, OSU has really underachieved. I agree that Boynton has to get to the NCAA’s this year - or else. 

• Upvote 1

Well deserved for Scott Sutton....wonder how long it will take for the wounds to heal and he gets placed in the ORU HOF?.....TheEagleman is guessing another few years at least but it's gotta get done....not likely that anyone will pass Coach Sutton as ORU all time wins leader anytime soon......Image result for scott sutton oru photos   PS....I'd put Sutton in the HOF long before Mills.....😎

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Well deserved for Scott Sutton....wonder how long it will take for the wounds to heal and he gets placed in the ORU HOF?.....Image result for scott sutton oru photos   PS....I'd put Sutton in the HOF long before Mills.....😎

Agreed. He belongs there. However, I think Mills  belongs there, too. He resurrected a program that was worse than mediocre and returned it to national recognition at a lofty mid-major position. He just did what every aspiring, competitive, career minded coach would do. He picked the fruit while it was ripe. If he is successful at Wichita State he won't be there as long as he was at ORU. And all of a sudden Shocker Nation won't be the best fans in the world and Wichita State won't be the perfect fit for him. It'll be Texas Tech or A&M or Houston. That's just the way the coaching carousel turns. Put 'em in.

• Upvote 1

Paul Mills in the ORU HOF???....HAHAHAHA!!!.....NOT!!!....i think it was debatable until the Duke fiasco and then how he left 7777 So. Lewis in the beginning of a long term contract.....no thanks but I understand that with a 106-84 record and a Sweet 16 appearance some may disagree....right now the wounds are still too fresh for me along with his overall insincerity but TheEagleman is willing to let history take its' course....and I fully understand that Scott Sutton left under pathetic circumstances after a couple of down years but over all his teams won 300+ games and he's at the top of the list at ORU even over Ken Trickey.....so it's really a no brainer.....but I am willing to listen to the opinions of others......🍺

• Haha 1

IMO the two achievements: 1. Reaching the sweet 16 and 2: making the tournament last year and achieving the undefeated conference schedule. Plus turning the program around qualifies him for the ORUHOF. 

• Upvote 2

Scott Sutton had his faults but the guy won a ton of games and is a poster boy for integrity and sincerity....but would agree he brought a in few players who did not personify the Whole Man concept. Paul Mills on the other hand recruited top notch student athletes who represented ORU values well and won games the past two yrs...those wins over OSU and Florida are priceless....I just think in the end he lacked sincerity and left ORU for more $$$$.....after signing a long term contract he simply "better dealed" us....TheEagleman felt betrayed because I believed the smoke he was blowing up my --- for 6 seasons. But I am over it and happy to have Russell Springmann....good riddance!!! #ILoveSpringmann....😍

• Upvote 1

But what TheEagleman really wants to know is....what does Old Titan think?? 🤔

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1