Scott Sutton Named OSU Assistant

Old Titan

• Old Titan changed the title to Scott Sutton Named OSU Assistant

Good for Coach Sutton......wish both brothers nothing but the best in their new gigs.

......you could also argue it's a smart move for both parties if the recruiting scandal sweeps up Boynton and he has to be let go during the season.

55 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

Good for Coach Sutton......wish both brothers nothing but the best in their new gigs.

......you could also argue it's a smart move for both parties if the recruiting scandal sweeps up Boynton and he has to be let go during the season.

I second this. 

What better insurance could OSU have in case Mike Boynton has to be let go? Scott Sutton would be a good interim head coach at the least (if Boynton is implicated in the recruiting scandal). 

Still really surprising that Holder would welcome a Sutton back to OSU. 

That's great news....Coach Sutton is a fine OSU alumnus and a good Christian man....TheEagleman misses him......:clap:

Scott comes out smelling like a rose on this deal:  looks like he's doing his alma mater a favor by accepting the gig, when in fact he's perfectly positioning himself for another climb up the coaching ladder (a lot easier now for some D-1 athletic director to hire Scott as his new head coach from a Power 5 assistant's role, as opposed to trying to win the press conference with an unemployed guy who got fired following an 8-20 season at a low-major).

And once again, ORU's self-righteousness and utter clueless-ness when it comes to public opinion leaves Carter, Wilson, et al still looking like insensitive jerks in this whole affair, while Scott is portrayed as the victim who now gets to return home to OSU where he will be properly appreciated.  It even makes OSU AD Mike Holder look like a hero for allowing a Sutton to return to Stillwater, thus closing the ugly wounds with father Eddie and brother Sean.   Mike Holder now a sympathetic character?  I didn't even think that was possible!

Leave it to ORU's botched handling of Scott's dismissal to put all these wheels in motion, where everyone wins in the court of public opinion - except ORU.  The local and statewide sports media will claim they are neutral on such things, but I can't imagine they don't all want to see OSU and Scott Sutton beat the dog out of ORU on Nov. 16th, joined in that sentiment by most college basketball fans other than the most ardent ORU supporters.

And, based on public perception, can you really blame them for feeling that way?

• Like 3

+1....That's a really good post by OT....really captures all the important points.....ORU's botched handling of that whole Sutton firing still stings....but we shall move on because Paul Mills is now our coach and that's a really good thing.....ORU will still have a difficult first 6 weeks of the season with that schedule but hopefully we will be more competitive than last season with improved PG play......not sure how the OSU-ORU game will go but yeah, that's likely going to go in the L column for us....it will be interesting to see if OSU ever returns the game at Mabee Center but I am guessing not.....besides, Coach Sutton may be in charge of another program in the next year or two anyway.....:geek:

I hope Sutton puts just as much effort into coaching OSU as he did here the past 4-5 years.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Scott comes out smelling like a rose on this deal:  looks like he's doing his alma mater a favor by accepting the gig, when in fact he's perfectly positioning himself for another climb up the coaching ladder (a lot easier now for some D-1 athletic director to hire Scott as his new head coach from a Power 5 assistant's role, as opposed to trying to win the press conference with an unemployed guy who got fired following an 8-20 season at a low-major).

And once again, ORU's self-righteousness and utter clueless-ness when it comes to public opinion leaves Carter, Wilson, et al still looking like insensitive jerks in this whole affair, while Scott is portrayed as the victim who now gets to return home to OSU where he will be properly appreciated.  It even makes OSU AD Mike Holder look like a hero for allowing a Sutton to return to Stillwater, thus closing the ugly wounds with father Eddie and brother Sean.   Mike Holder now a sympathetic character?  I didn't even think that was possible!

Leave it to ORU's botched handling of Scott's dismissal to put all these wheels in motion, where everyone wins in the court of public opinion - except ORU.  The local and statewide sports media will claim they are neutral on such things, but I can't imagine they don't all want to see OSU and Scott Sutton beat the dog out of ORU on Nov. 16th, joined in that sentiment by most college basketball fans other than the most ardent ORU supporters.

And, based on public perception, can you really blame them for feeling that way?

ORU and Scott aren't big enough names in Oklahoma to keep the conversation going. I suspect more than anything Scott getting hired at OSU will put this whole ordeal to bed.

Scott isn't a good enough recruiter or tactician to expect major success as a HC anymore. The game is evolving and what he was once able to cover up with a great crew of assistants, has been exposed. That said, Scott seems like a fantastic person and a great ambassador for the college game. Like I said before I hope this turns into longterm success for him but I think his best bet is to hold tight to his assistant role at OSU.  

Sutton could have gone the next 10 yrs at ORU winning 8 to 12 games a year and never received a negative article from anyone in the Oklahoma press.  They did not care because it was just ORU and he was a Sutton.  Now that he is working at a university they care about there will be some expectations from the media.

Like I said above, I wish Scott well, but he's not exactly a recruiting dynamo and was not much better as a strategist / bench coach.  This hire was first and foremost an insurance policy for Holder and OSU and a bit of goodwill with the fan base.  On it's face, the hire does not make much sense.

The one thing that can not be questioned is that Coach Sutton will bring integrity to that program.....there is no doubt about that.

5 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

Sutton could have gone the next 10 yrs at ORU winning 8 to 12 games a year and never received a negative article from anyone in the Oklahoma press.  They did not care because it was just ORU and he was a Sutton.  Now that he is working at a university they care about there will be some expectations from the media.

And why do you think the media (and many in the general public) harbor that kind of animosity towards ORU in general, and men's basketball (now) in particular?

Goes back to one of the oldest sayings in the book:  you reap what you sow.

12 minutes ago, WingMaaaan said:

ORU and Scott aren't big enough names in Oklahoma to keep the conversation going. I suspect more than anything Scott getting hired at OSU will put this whole ordeal to bed.

LOL - I can assure you this "ordeal" is nowhere near "put to bed".

In fact, the party of public opinion is just getting started - ain't nobody goin' to bed any time soon.

4 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

LOL - I can assure you this "ordeal" is nowhere near "put to bed".

In fact, the party of public opinion is just getting started - ain't nobody goin' to bed any time soon.

Gotcha. Well, I look forward to the countless several few editorials and tweets and you'll be posting proving this point. 

Please remember that ORU has a fan base way outside of either Tulsa or the State of Oklahoma who could care less about either what the Tulsa or other Oklahoma press says about ORU.  Why?  Because they have been saying it for decades.  For those of us who support the program from afar, we will continue to do so.  I am sorry for the locals in the Tulsa metroplex who support ORU and have to put up with the local so-called "press", but life goes on.  I am excited for the future of our program.  These next couple of years we will take our lumps, but I personally believe our best days are ahead of us, and no, I am not Joel although I did attended ORU with his brother and sister.  To me when someone mentions "OSU", I personally think of the true "OSU', The Ohio State University.

• Like 2