Exhibition Game - Oct 21

ORUTerry

This is really last minute.... I had heard yesterday that we were playing North Texas in a closed scrimmage on Saturday afternoon. 

Yeh, the Athletics website says it will be in the practice gym with no seating due to "work" being done in the main arena.  Also, no mention of any type of either audio or video broadcast.

Not sure about the legalities involved, but from a fun, "insider" perspective, this has Facebook Live written all over it - maybe from one of the team managers, or Sports Marketing students?

The NCAA allows for two scrimmages or exhibition games.  Ours are with North Texas and Wichita State (both closed).  They are allowing a third one this year for charitable purposes only.  That's why this is last minute.  Although, I'm not sure what proceeds there will be to donate to anyone since it's closed and in a gym with no seats.

Do we have a final score??...:geek:

I hate to ask, but did they play a regulation 40 minutes?  If so, 54-49 sounds pretty pedestrian to me - or a lot of turnovers or lousy shooting on both sides...

However, Sam Kearns with 20+ points gives me a lot of hope...since our guard play has many unknowns! 

Some general observations from the scrimmage:

* There were three refs, but they let the guys play. Not a lot of stoppages. Only free throws were for shot fouls. 

* RSU was athletic and long. Most of their players are back from the squad we saw last year - including the guard with long braids. They also had three decent post players.

* We played a 1-3-1 zone the whole game. Very active; we trapped at half court a lot. 

* Conley and Fuqua were in ‘street’ clothes (shorts and long sleeve shirts) and did not play. They were walking around and did not look seriously hurt. Manek and Ahmedic were dressed but did not play. 

* Kearns played point guard most of the time; when he was out Ruder handled things. Kearns seems steady and is a decent ball handler & passer. Seemed confident and can make an entry pass. He is a good shooter; made 4 of 5 three pointers. 

* We played White, Owens and EMan for an extended timeframe. Owens got some good looks but missed several chip shots. EMan missed several jump shots. Miller looked good on offense. He has soft hand and quick feet. 

* Harris is athletic and needs playing time to get comfortable. He missed a couple of jump shots. 

* Mills was verbal from the bench and encouraged players at timeouts. He was calling out plays/sets and making sure players were positioned correctly in the zone.