DeShang "DJ" Williams-Weaver (6'7" F)

ORUalum

I like his length and athleticism. Also like that we have a recruit out of Houston. According to my math, we have one scholarship left. 

Very impressive!!!....Paul Mills and staff doing some serious work down in Texas....looks like this kid can score the basketball.....can't ever have too many of those....in fact, we haven't had many over the past several years at ORU....:eagles:

Found this post on Hogville (the Arkansas forum)

Excellent news. Go Reggie.

Any new evaluations out on DeShang Weaver? I have not paid attention to his ratings.
247Sports just did an update of its 2018 rankings (actually, seems like that site tweaks the rankings once a week) ... as of now, 247Sports rates DJ the No. 52 prospect, a 4-star, but that's likely to change once all the updates are made ... his composite (aggregate of the 4 major services) is No. 200, a 3-star ... after missing 18 months with the knee injury and still playing monitored minutes since returning 6 mos ago, it's almost impossible to rate him.

My personal view is that DJ is a very good basketball player, I'd say top 75-100 if fully healthy. Had he not missed so much time (which severely limited his development), he might be Top 25-50.

• Upvote 1

Great find Doc C!  Sounds like they found a good one.

Like ORUTerry mentioned above --- how about his wingspan?  will play taller than 6'7"

So this DJ kid is a top 100 player in the entire nation???...Or just Texas???...:geek:l

I like that he can shoot and appears to be a really good passer, both essential  attributes in modern post players. He also appears to be a eager rebounder. 

9 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

So this DJ kid is a top 100 player in the entire nation???...Or just Texas???...:geek:l

ESPN has Weaver listed as the #21 recruit in TX for 2018.

Like @ORUalum posted above 247sports has Weaver ranked:

The composite rankings (averaging out ranking across several recruiting services)

• #17 PF in TX
  • #53 PF Nationally
  • #218 recruit for the 2018 class

10 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

I am always a bit dubious of rankings - but it appears Weaver is/was projected as a top 200 player (US). He is currently rated a “3 Star” recruit and some sites had him listed as a “4 Star” in the past. 

Once you get familiar with how these rankings are put together.. you realize they are pretty much trash outside of the obvious top ten or so.  I see kids ranked high all the time who I'm positive cannot play.  The problem is its a "who you know" network and a strange caldron of performance vs. potential. 

A good coach should not ever look at these rankings and do all evals independently.  I'm pretty sure Mills and staff do their own so we should just trust they will offer kids with good character who can play for real. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...