Carlos Jurgens (6'3" Guard)

ORUalum

I realize the hazards of evaluating players based on a mixtape of highlights. That said, based on his highlight video in the other thread, I am going to share some observations. Jurgens appears to have good ball handling skills, solid passing ability, and a quick release on his shot. 

His ball handling is what impressed me most. He is very purposeful and fundamentally sound. He doesn't waste dribbles, even his "flashy" moves are disciplined and to the point. He seems methodical and precise. He catches the ball, reads the defense, makes a quick crossover or hesitation to get the defense off- balance, and then uses only one dribble (at most two) to get into the lane and make a play. 

His passing is really solid too. He seems very capable. The only thing that bothered me is that there was one instance where he had a teammate wide open for a layup, but he chose to drive it in himself. All he needed to do was make a quick, easy pass and his teammate would have had a layup.

As for his shooting, he seems to have a quick release and good range. I am assuming he is a consistently good shooter, since the team was running plays with the purpose of getting him open looks from three. 

Overall, Jurgens looks like he could be a really good find by Coach Mills and company. 

• Upvote 1

You can never have enough talented point guards. Especially point guards with size...

Kind of to Idig32's point above, how do official visits work?  I assume coaches are allowed to work out a player, but can they put them through the paces in a team practice or live scrimmages with current players?  I would think it's tough to evaluate based on tape alone and I'm not sure the talent level of Estonian basketball.

I like that he will be a 20 yr old freshman so he will be more experienced and I assume will have spent time playing internationally on EST junior teams.

I don't believe a visitor can participate in a practice. All they could do is run in an open gym with no coaches present.  Unfortunately since regular season practices have started I doubt there are any open gym sessions being run by the players.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, ORUParentLurker said:

I don't believe a visitor can participate in a practice. All they could do is run in an open gym with no coaches present.  Unfortunately since regular season practices have started I doubt there are any open gym sessions being run by the players.

thank you for the clarification ORUParentLurker

Can't speak for the current regime, but in the "old days", the recruit would have a current player (let's say a Jonathan Bluitt or a Moses Ehambe) acting as his host , who would tell the recruit that they were going to join "some of the guys" for pick-up ball that evening on the Mabee Center floor.

While the recruit was playing with the guys, an assistant coach might just happen to be lurking in the end zone entrance, or up at the top of the Gold section, just to see how the recruit was getting along with the fellas.  While no one on the roster takes it easy on a recruit in these situations, they do typically try to "set him up" to showcase his talents during such runs.

I stood and watched in the East Vom for an hour one evening while this lanky kid with big feet and dreads lit everybody up on just such a visit - was very happy to learn later that Dominique Morrison was committing to ORU.

Could Jurgens come at semester and play in January? We have an open scholarship 

4 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

Could Jurgens come at semester and play in January? We have an open scholarship 

He's listed everywhere as a 2018 recruit, so I'm guessing no...

7 hours ago, ORUalum said:

I guess the official visit went well....

What does ('98) mean in this tweet?  His birth year?

Would this kid be an older freshman, ala Luke Spencer-Gardner?

Some of these foreign kids attend the equivalent of a prep school after high school ("universitat"), so they are sometimes 19-and-20-years-old by the time they make it over here...

Audentes SG/Noortekoondis, known as G4S Noorteliiga for sponsorship reasons, is a basketball club based in Tallinn, Estonia. The team plays in the Korvpalli Meistriliiga (KML). Their home arena is the Audentes Sports Centre.[1]

The Korvpalli Meistriliiga (English: Basketball Champions League), known as the Alexela Korvpalli Meistriliiga for sponsorship reasons, is the highest level tier and most important professional club basketball competition in Estonia, and is controlled by the Estonian Football Association.

Estonia Jürgens, Carlos 1.90 m (6 ft 3 in)   18 – 27 October 1998

http://basketball.eurobasket.com/player/Carlos-Jurgens/Estonia/BA-Tallinn-Kavel-U20-team/318741

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audentes/Noortekoondis

• 1 month later...