Tulsa homecoming ‘crazy’ for Thunder rookie Terrance Ferguson

Dr. Cornelius

Tulsa World: Tulsa homecoming ‘crazy’ for Thunder rookie Terrance Ferguson

Story on OKC Thunder rookie Terrance Ferguson coming back to Tulsa and his friendship with R.J. Fuqua...

“When we were younger, you could see Terrance’s potential, and now he’s in the NBA,” R.J. Fuqua said. “The kid I played basketball with is in the NBA.”

When Ferguson’s family moved next door to Fuqua’s family, the result was a permanent friendship. When Ferguson was a second-grader, he and Fuqua began a five-year run as Tulsa Bulldogs teammates.

After having driven Booker T. Washington to last season’s Class 6A championship game, Fuqua now is a freshman member of the Oral Roberts University basketball team.

Caleb Nero, who would become an All-State performer for a state title team at Memorial, also was a Bulldog with Ferguson and Fuqua.

Had Ferguson not moved to Dallas, he says he also would have been a Booker T. Washington Hornet. His 6-foot-5 father, Terrance Ferguson Sr., played football at Booker T. Washington and Oklahoma State.

“The day I moved next door to R.J., I saw him sitting on the curb,” the younger Ferguson recalled. “He had a basketball goal set up, so we played every day. His dad (ORU basketball legend Richard Fuqua) would shoot with us. His dad would take us to school and pick us up. We would do homework at R.J.’s house. He and I were super close. We still are.”