Huge Basketball Recruiting Scandal

ORUTerry

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Talking-and-tweeting heads say another round of indictments and arrests is just around the corner; Scott Drew of Baylor has been mentioned as a possible target.

(if that happens, here's a line to read between regarding this post:  _____________________________________________________ ) :doh:

Has Baylor ever recruited at the level of the other schools wrapped up in this scandal so far (Louisville, Arizona, even OSU)?

1 hour ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Has Baylor ever recruited at the level of the other schools wrapped up in this scandal so far (Louisville, Arizona, even OSU)?

Assuming that's not a rhetorical question:  the persistent rumor among coaches in the region ever since SD took over at Baylor is that he had/has the leading "traveling team" coaches in Houston and the Metroplex in his back pocket, from either booster money or shoe company money.

Which doesn't guarantee getting the best players on those teams, but it sure helps.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/critical-coaches-who-is-perceived-to-be-the-biggest-cheater-in-the-sport/

Sour grapes on the part of the also-rans?  Maybe.

But, I never heard anyone in the biz say that sort of thing about the likes of Lon Kruger at OU, or Rick Barnes when he was at Texas, and they've always managed to sign 4-and-5-star guys....

I’ve always thought it was sour grapes or jealousy. If they had anything on Scott Drew it would have been released by now given the apparent animus towards him. 

On 10/9/2017 at 7:30 PM, Old Titan said:

Assuming that's not a rhetorical question:  the persistent rumor among coaches in the region ever since SD took over at Baylor is that he had/has the leading "traveling team" coaches in Houston and the Metroplex in his back pocket, from either booster money or shoe company money.

Which doesn't guarantee getting the best players on those teams, but it sure helps.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/critical-coaches-who-is-perceived-to-be-the-biggest-cheater-in-the-sport/

Sour grapes on the part of the also-rans?  Maybe.

But, I never heard anyone in the biz say that sort of thing about the likes of Lon Kruger at OU, or Rick Barnes when he was at Texas, and they've always managed to sign 4-and-5-star guys....

There could be some truth to the Scott Drew rumors. I just wonder how much smoke there really is and not just "Baylor doesn't know their place; don't they know they aren't supposed to beat Texas!" But would I be shocked if Drew was one of the next coaches named... uh not really. :wiking:

'Tip of the iceberg': More charges expected this month in college basketball scandal

:astonished:

Two people involved in the case, who spoke on the condition they not be identified because of the ongoing legal proceedings, said they expect more college coaches and others involved with grassroots basketball programs to be charged later this month.

“This is the tip of the iceberg,” one of them said.

One former high-major college coach who retains deep connections in the business said he believes the case will lead to 40 to 50 job openings for head and assistant coaches by the spring.

That’s great news for Coach Scott Sutton. 

• Upvote 2

UNC had fake classes and fake student / athletes, but will receive no punishment.  The NCAA is a complete joke.

8 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

UNC had fake classes and fake student / athletes, but will receive no punishment.  The NCAA is a complete joke.

I like how UNC's defense for all of this is "The UNC athletic dept doesn't have the responsibility for fake classes at our university"... so basically UNC is a diploma mill.

• Like 1

If UNC Greensboro or Davidson set up the same classes ---- let's see what happens.

The NCAA can't penalize academic fraud, but thank God they are monitoring the Youtube channels of punters at UCF!

Agree - if a non Power conference did this the NCAA would throw the book at them. The hypocrisy is stunning. How could this not be a violation?

What worth is a degree from UNC? This was comprehensive and occurred over a number of years. How in the world do they keep their accreditation ? 

4 hours ago, ORUalum said:

If UNC Greensboro or Davidson set up the same classes ---- let's see what happens.

I think this proves that there is just too much money involved for a Power 5 school to ever be punished again. Media rights holders count on certain teams being available for programming on their schedule. If UNC or a team of that caliber is banned from the post season that would hurt potential viewership and plans already in place.

"Must...not...point...out...same...thing...existed...back...in...early...Eighties..."  :tmi:  :x 

#Statistics101

#Humanities

#HolySpiritInTheNow

#EtcEtcEtc

apples and oranges --- those classes actually met (lectures, quizzes, multiple exams, discussion groups etc); required more than a final paper; and no chance that a one paragraph final paper receives an A-

universities have always steered athletes to less rigorous classes --- UNC just took it to another level; but their excuse that these no show / no classroom courses met their academic standards is simply laughable

the future of academic fraud is going to be online courses for athletes.....much easier for others to do the classwork and difficult to prove

• Like 1

Holy Spirit in the Now and 20th Century Evangelism really helped TheEagleman's GPA....and who couldn't love Humanities with Dr. Paul and Dr. Morgan....gosh I loved those guys....know Dr. Paul has passed but anybody know if Dr. Morgan is still around???..:oru-logo:

On 10/16/2017 at 4:11 PM, Old Titan said:

"Must...not...point...out...same...thing...existed...back...in...early...Eighties..."  :tmi:  :x 

#Statistics101

#Humanities

#HolySpiritInTheNow

#EtcEtcEtc

Personally I found humanities difficult.  I much preferred my computer, math and business classes.

I was speaking to a current student who is an accounting major last week.  She was complaining about how hard the Old Testament class is.  And she is a straight A student (except for PE).  :)

• 3 weeks later...

OSU seems nervous........tick, tock......

OSU Withholds Guard Jeffrey Carroll From Play

Posted: Updated:
By: NewsOn6.com

STILLWATER, Oklahoma -

Oklahoma State University is withholding guard Jeffrey Carroll from play indefinitely, sources tell News On 6. 

The senior from Rowlett, Texas, has a long list of recognitions listed on the OSU basketball website including Second-Team All-Big 12 Conference honors (Associated Press & Coaches), First-Team All-District by the National Association of Basketball Coaches and U.S. Basketball Writers Association Second-Team All-District.