Potential Changes in NCAA Transfer Rules

Dr. Cornelius

This March I posted a thread about a Sports Illustrated article on the impact of transfers in D1 basketball.

Now there have been reports that the NCAA is considering allowing transferring student athletes to be immediately eligible.

Sources: Major Potential Shift In NCAA Transfer Rules

In a potentially paradigm-shifting proposal, the NCAA members may vote to allow all Division-I transfers to be eligible to play immediately. The restrictions would be that student athletes would be asked to meet a certain academic standard — possibly including a minimum GPA — in order to transfer immediately, and any additional transfer would require the student-athletes to sit out a full year. A source has confirmed that the idea has gained increased traction in recent weeks, and it has been referred to a committee on academics that will meet in a few weeks to discuss the aforementioned academic standard. Among the discussion points will be deciding which metrics best indicate a potential transfer's ability to transition academically at a new school...

Would this necessarily be a horrible thing?

This would be a shocking move. 4-year players are becoming increasingly harder to find, and this rule would eliminate them intirely. Any level of success initiates a move upward. Lack of play time means a move downward. The way I see it, this only benefits P5 schools. 

• Upvote 1

I saw a report that quoted an NCAA representative saying that while more than half of transfers leave D-1 - a good portion (+50%) subsequently return to D-1.

Lets face it....college basketball has become a joke....so many transfers and one and dones....19 year old kids get filled with crap from family, friends and media....the good old days of 4 year players are long gone....plus if a kid struggles his first year then the university wants to run him off....the whole system is broken....Heck, Kentucky just overhauls with new All Americans every year...that's a sham...:puke:

College has become a year to year team building situation for coaches.  A rule change like this would make it easier and harder.  Easier to find kids to fill holes... but harder to keep guys around who are either "over performing" or were backup players who need development.  To me its already pretty sad.  However, I have always thought it was a unfair that coaches can move and players can't so easily.  Good coaches will continually sell their current players on the program and would benefit from this.

I like the current system --- Graduate and play right away or transfer and sit out a year.

Immediate transfers would create a feeding frenzy of P5 schools on mid-major standouts and mid-major schools on low major standouts.

I hope this gets shot down.......the rich will just get richer.

Amen, Alum.....this is not a good thing.....Caleb and DoMo never would have been around 4 years...:|

I would

33 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

Immediate transfers would create a feeding frenzy of P5 schools on mid-major standouts and mid-major schools on low major standouts.

I hope this gets shot down.......the rich will just get richer.

This is probably true BUT what about the 4 guys on the end of most P5 benches that aren't seeing the floor? I'm sure players in that position would be more likely to "transfer down" if there wasn't a penalty.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

This is probably true BUT what about the 4 guys on the end of most P5 benches that aren't seeing the floor? I'm sure players in that position would be more likely to "transfer down" if there wasn't a penalty.

the constant re-recruiting of players is already bad, imagine if there was no "penalty" of sitting a year.  i just think the potential downside would far exceed the upside of getting a bench player or two from a large school.......those guys are going to transfer anyway.  this would all but make it impossible to retain a star player at the mid or low major level.

can you imagine the feeding frenzy for a guy like Mike Daum????

Are there any rules currently regulating recruiting for current D1 players?  I'm always curious when you see a player leave a team and immediately sign elsewhere.  Obviously some recruiting is going on.  So if this rule change is made there could be major issues.  If I were a P5 team I wouldn't even bother with HS kids.

• Upvote 1

I'm almost positive both of those players were heavily tampered with by P5 schools - but stayed at ORU. Being able to move without sitting out a year would probably influenced them a bit - but they might have stayed loyal to the school/coaches/teammates.  

Tim and Rocky - Bill Self alleged tampering by Arkansas.  Nolan denied it, but had to come out and say he would not take them if they transferred and that they should stay at ORU.

Jeffries to Tulsa is really fishy --- when people are posting on twitter the same day that he is going to TU....ORU's only recourse was blocking TU and making him go JUCO and spend a yr of eligibilty before landing at 11th and Harvard.

"Play immediately transfers" would create a wild wild west of player tampering/recruiting.

• Upvote 1

Although it would be interesting is transfers could move and play immediately but only if they get a release from their current school.  Talk about getting shady.  I could see college coaches basically orchestrating trades.

20 hours ago, ORUalum said:

Tim and Rocky - Bill Self alleged tampering by Arkansas.  Nolan denied it, but had to come out and say he would not take them if they transferred and that they should stay at ORU.

Jeffries to Tulsa is really fishy --- when people are posting on twitter the same day that he is going to TU....ORU's only recourse was blocking TU and making him go JUCO and spend a yr of eligibilty before landing at 11th and Harvard.

"Play immediately transfers" would create a wild wild west of player tampering/recruiting.

If I recall this story correctly, Tim and Rocky were getting some really bad advice from an "advisor" who hoped to become their agent post-college; he was the one who convinced them they should be playing on a bigger stage to get more attention, to the point they actually announced they were transferring to Arkansas.

At which point, Nolan Richardson of already-loaded Arkansas said something along the lines of, "Who??"

They both stayed at ORU for their senior seasons with first-year coach Barry Hinson, but neither was the same player they had been their junior campaigns; both came down with a bad case of "Senioritis".

Thanks for the correction OT on who started the contact.  I guess I remembered the charges and not the clarification.

After things became public, it sounds like Nolan tried to do the right thing.  However, he should have called Self after initial contact from the advisor. I'm pretty sure Nolan knew who Tim Gill was since he hung 29 pts on Arkansas a month earlier in an ORU win.  Why would one of the most powerful coaches at the time take some random call from a nobody "advisor" in Tulsa in the middle of the season?  You can't tell me Nolan wasn't interested.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/archives/tim-gill-s-bizarre-transfer-just-this-a-puzzling-saga/article_508d90b4-23b4-5ada-8b32-6700adfe8e11.html

The adviser's contact with Richardson occurred in January, slightly more than one month after Gill had a career game (29 points) in leading ORU to an 86-81 upset of Arkansas, two months before the end of ORU's 21-7 season and almost three months before the sharp-shooting guard shocked Bill Self by notifying the coach of his intentions to leave.

At Self's suggestion, Richardson said he telephoned Gill in an effort to dissuade him. ""I did everything I could to convince the young man to stay at ORU,'' Richardson said. ""I told him all the obvious reasons. I still hope he stays at ORU.''

Richardson said he was offended by unsigned letters and radio talk show innuendos that he tampered with Gill. The timing was especially sensitive to Richardson. He appeared before the NCAA Infractions Committee three weekends ago, at which time he made an impassioned defense of his character.

Arkansas' admitted infractions involve administrative procedures and dishonesty by an academic counselor who has since been fired. ""I told them I don't cheat and hate cheaters,'' Richardson said. ""It tees me off to have to defend myself. You think with all this going on, and at a stage in my career where I am secure and probably not going to coach more than 3, 4 or 5 years, I would tamper with a kid I don't need? I really wish Gill would stay at ORU.''

This rule change would be a great move by the NCAA. Student-athletes should have the freedom to choose the best situation for them without fear of penalty.  You'll never find me feeling bad about a coach's job getting harder. They're being paid to do a job. 

If this happens I'd like to see extremely harsh penalties given to any program that is found to be tampering. I'd also like to see the burden of proof lowered so that coaches feel pressure to avoid even the slightest appearance of inappropriate behavior.