Preseason Publications & Polls

Old Titan

Athlon's has ORU 7th of 8; Albert and Emmanuel on 2nd Team:

59af042a1d5fe_Athlons2017.thumb.jpg.fa21c19f9e0de8ade218db50a8df9b0f.jpg

Frankly, I think those two things are mutually exclusive:  if those two guys are good enough to make all-conference 2nd Team, then ORU will finish better than 7th Place.

Consequently, if ORU finishes in 7th Place, I don't see how both of those guys will wind up making 2nd Team all-conference...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

It's SDSU and then everybody else.

I think given all the attrition among Summit teams the conference will be down compared to the previous 3-5 seasons.

Could we finish 7th? Sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up in the top 4. 

Sporting News:  obviously not "a fan of the show".  (LOL)

DJOa6i7XUAASNHH.thumb.jpg.1206ce90234b7f3f94afd9554bc3ff15.jpgI

I'll say it again:  anyone inside the ORU program - or just a fan - who thinks HOW Scott Sutton was fired won't resonate for YEARS, is fooling themselves (see: "Hayes, Ken; circa 1983").

• Upvote 1

I promise you no current high school kids playing basketball in Texas will be influenced one bit by a Tulsa World article or any perceived mishandling of Sutton.  In Oklahoma?  Maybe since their coaches and parents will be paying attention.  But still.. programs have nasty breakups all the time and it never lingers if the new guy is good.

BTW, I think Fort Wayne is set up for a very good season.  They have a nice core returning and signed some JC guards.

5 hours ago, ORUParentLurker said:

I promise you no current high school kids playing basketball in Texas will be influenced one bit by a Tulsa World article or any perceived mishandling of Sutton.  In Oklahoma?  Maybe since their coaches and parents will be paying attention.  But still.. programs have nasty breakups all the time and it never lingers if the new guy is good.

You don't say. 

I deduce from your username that you're likely the parent of just such a recruit, and I don't doubt you are right in a limited sense:  recruits (and typically their parents) are oft times painfully unaware of the history (both wonderful & terrible) of the schools they visit and ultimately sign with.

But, as this article from a NATIONAL publication exhibits, I'm talking about a MUCH bigger picture than whether a coach from ORU can convince some recruit to sign, or even if that coach can win with those recruits, in the post-Sutton world we find ourselves in.

I'm talking about whether, after going to so much trouble, anyone OTHER than that coach/those recruits/THOSE RECRUITS' PARENTS will begrudge ORU ANY respect in the wake of Sutton's botched firing.

The bigger picture is what recruits think. It's crass but true, if the program wins,  no one will care about how the Sutton era ended. 

• Upvote 1

I will be ecstatic with a 5th place finish......setting my expectations at a 7th or 8th place finish.  Rome wasn't built in a day.

On 9/8/2017 at 10:59 PM, Old Titan said:

You don't say. 

I deduce from your username that you're likely the parent of just such a recruit, and I don't doubt you are right in a limited sense:  recruits (and typically their parents) are oft times painfully unaware of the history (both wonderful & terrible) of the schools they visit and ultimately sign with.

But, as this article from a NATIONAL publication exhibits, I'm talking about a MUCH bigger picture than whether a coach from ORU can convince some recruit to sign, or even if that coach can win with those recruits, in the post-Sutton world we find ourselves in.

I'm talking about whether, after going to so much trouble, anyone OTHER than that coach/those recruits/THOSE RECRUITS' PARENTS will begrudge ORU ANY respect in the wake of Sutton's botched firing.

I understand what you're saying.  I"m just saying basketball recruiting in particular doesn't work this way.  Maybe it did back in the day.  I've been following recruiting for about 10 years now and I can tell you that kids and parents are finicky but they care about a limited numbers of things and how the previous coach was fired doesn't make the list.  There is almost no firing handled well in this business.  The head coach, facilities, perceived ability to compete, the quality of the education (for some families) and PLAYING TIME.  Over 700 kids transfer every year searching for PT.  IMO most families have their priorities screwed up but if you're a head coach you kinda have to accept it.

BTW, I heard the young Sutton kid on the team just got awarded a scholarship.  Do you think the Tulsa paper will report that?

• Upvote 1

Of course not.....:|

I'm glad the coaching staff gave Spencer the scholarship. We had two available. From all appearances he is a good teammate. I'm sure Sean is happy about it too. 

On 9/11/2017 at 10:31 AM, ORUParentLurker said:

I understand what you're saying.  I"m just saying basketball recruiting in particular doesn't work this way.  Maybe it did back in the day.  I've been following recruiting for about 10 years now and I can tell you that kids and parents are finicky but they care about a limited numbers of things and how the previous coach was fired doesn't make the list.  There is almost no firing handled well in this business.  The head coach, facilities, perceived ability to compete, the quality of the education (for some families) and PLAYING TIME.  Over 700 kids transfer every year searching for PT.  IMO most families have their priorities screwed up but if you're a head coach you kinda have to accept it.

BTW, I heard the young Sutton kid on the team just got awarded a scholarship.  Do you think the Tulsa paper will report that?

All well and good, much of which I already agreed to, but has nothing to do with my original point:  a lot of people who matter in the college basketball world - and a significant portion of potential fans - will prove to have elephant's memory when it comes to Sutton's mishandled firing, because fair or not, they hold ORU to a higher standard of behavior than other schools. 

They will use the the "HOW" element (instead of the "WHY") as an excuse not to buy tickets/be a sponsor/say nice things about ORU basketball on TV or on the radio or in print/vote for them in polls/etc.

We've seen it before; they'll see it again...

That's fair.  However, it is interesting how fans and supporters have really high standards until their program starts losing consistently. 

Back to the topic at hand:

(...sadly, ORU's thumbnail doesn't make the first page in this pic from the Summit League Twitter account.  The epitome of relegation, I suppose:  "Not Pictured" LOL)

DJoM6wAW0AAmewP.thumb.jpg.08e274dc03273a47335ab392374fe869.jpg

Bleep them....:-P

23 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Back to the topic at hand:

(...sadly, ORU's thumbnail doesn't make the first page in this pic from the Summit League Twitter account.  The epitome of relegation, I suppose:  "Not Pictured" LOL)

DJoM6wAW0AAmewP.thumb.jpg.08e274dc03273a47335ab392374fe869.jpg

* This conference also seems to include ORU

• 3 weeks later...