ORU MBB 2017-18 Season Predictions

Dr. Cornelius

ORU MBB 2017-18 Season Predictions  

25 members have voted

1. 1. How many wins will the Golden Eagles have in 2017-18?

• 16 +
    • 14 - 16
    • 10 - 13
    • 6 - 9

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/08/2017 at 10:38 PM

How many wins will the Golden Eagles have in 2017-18?

TheEagleman currently has the over/under for the ORU win total this season at 10.5.....I elevated it slightly due to scheduling of E. Texas Baptist and Nebraska Christian......:geek:

16 wins?....maybe combined over the next TWO seasons.....seems like just yesterday ORU won 27 games in a season .....:eagles:

• 1 month later...

Alright, I guess it's time to get serious about W-L predictions for the season, by posting your own prognostications.

As always, I'm waiting with baited breath (what a great old cliche - wonder what the basis is?) for the annual prediction from "ORUBlue82," which is always well-crafted and reasonable.

Saddened, though, to consider that the ORIGINAL "ORUVoice" may not be weighing in with his typically-rosy outlook, following his forced retirement from PA duties.  Alas, once more, the Law Of Unintended Consequences rears its ugly head, perhaps costing this forum one of its original and distinctive voices, both literally and figuratively.  Hope I'm wrong re: his future participation in our debates!

All grieving aside, what say ye, now that we're on the eve of the Paul Mills Experiment?  Can this team exceed expectations, or are the pundits correct in predicting another lean year?

I didn’t know ORUVoice was no longer doing PA. What their a press release or something? He’d been with the program for a while. 

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Saddened, though, to consider that the ORIGINAL "ORUVoice" may not be weighing in with his typically-rosy outlook, following his forced retirement from PA duties.  Alas, once more, the Law Of Unintended Consequences rears its ugly head, perhaps costing this forum one its original and distinctive voices, both literally and figuratively.  Hope I'm wrong re: his future participation in our debates!

Forget the unintended consequences this decision is just bad on its face. @oruvoice is the best sports PA announcer in the city. Where is ORU going to find a similarly talented announcer? Let alone one who has affinity for the program? Makes no sense.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Mike posted the news on his Facebook page back in September.  Not my intention to drop a bomb; I just figured everybody else had heard the news by now.

The new PA guy actually did an ORU men's game last year in MC's place; sorry I don't know his name.

28 years with the athletic program in one capacity or another. 19 years as PA for men's and women's hoops.

I'll be lurking and attending most home games. But, not feeling into a lot of rah-rah posts, at this time. Will take some time to fully digest this. Doing the games was a true love of mine.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words and I'll see you at the ball games this year, just from a new seat.

• Like 1

This is a travesty!!!.....WE WANT VOICE!!!....:(

The over/under for ORU wins in 2017-18 is still set at  10.5......:blink:

7 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

The over/under for ORU wins in 2017-18 is still set at  10.5......:blink:

I am seriously waiting until ORUBlue82 weighs in, but from what little I've heard re: practices and the RSU scrimmage, that sounds pretty close...

1 hour ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Forget the unintended consequences this decision is just bad on its face. @oruvoice is the best sports PA announcer in the city. Where is ORU going to find a similarly talented announcer? Let alone one who has affinity for the program? Makes no sense.

I’m speechless.... This makes no sense. 

• Upvote 2

Voice got canned?....First Scott....then Voice.....BILLY MUST GO!!!!.....this is a disgrace!...:@

• Upvote 1

Well this news stinks!  Sorry to hear this voice.  Thanks for the many great years of service to ORU basketball.

As far as the season goes --- anything over 11 wins is gravy.  Give me seven D1 wins, ditch foghorn, and include a throwback jersey with the flame and this season will be a smashing success.

What the heck is going on over there??

And can't really give any predictions knowing this. Gotta think Voice was worth a few home W's for ORU.

What other PA announcer can incite a letter to the Tulsa World after a women's basketball game?

TW Letter to the Editor

• 2 weeks later...

If only to humor Old Titan (as if THAT were possible! :P), I've decided to proceed with my annual pre-season prediction.  Frankly, I was going to pass this year, because I feel like I know less about this team's pre-season prospects than at any other time over the past 20+ years.  We have a new coaching staff, a young untested backcourt, a fairly deep and talented frontcourt (in a former coach's scheme, at least - and assuming that Javan White is fully healthy), and NO public exhibition games.  We have NO idea what kind of offense/defense will be run, and whether our guys have bought into the system yet, or will ever.  We do know that the team has averaged just over 50 points per game (ugh!) in two scrimmages against a non-D 1 school and against one of the best squads in the NCAA on paper, but who knows how these scrimmages were approached by the team/coaching staff.

What we DO know about is our schedule, the relative strength of the teams we will play, and a dearth of home D-1 games.  So, without much information, I'm going strictly by analytics, with a little gut feel at the end.  Here we go...

According to most pre-season publications, we are ranked in the lower half of our conference, and Ken Pom and SI both have us around #250 in the country.  Let's just assume that we compare that ranking to each team on our schedule, giving the home team a +50 advantage (so a 250 ranked team would beat a 201 at home, but lose to a 299 on the road, etc.).  I'm also "gifting" us the four non-D1 games on our home schedule.  Under this scenario, we would go 0-9 on the non-conference road, and 0-2 on the non-conference at home, and 1-1 neutral (although the win would come against our "neutral" host Pepperdine at #321).  And, in the Summit we would be 3-11, with a sweep of Western Illinois and a home win against Omaha.  This would tie us for sixth in the Summit with Omaha, and close out our season at 8-23.

While all of that sounds plausible, it also places our record remarkably close with last year, which likely means that the "pundits" don't know anything more about us than we do, and that they've relied solely on last year's results as an indicator of this year's prospects (probably not a bad way to approach it).  However, we do have two extra non D-1 games compared to last year, so we really should see better results.

Color me with rose-colored glasses, but I think last season was an anomaly, and that the players didn't reach their full potential under the guidance of the coaching staff in place.  So, I'm going to give us a little "bump" for new energy and chemistry (and a new logo!) within the basketball program, and raise our initial ranking to 200 vs. 250.  Under the same +50 home advantage, this improves our record to 12-19, by stealing a road win at #278 UALR, and additional home Summit wins vs. NDSU, South Dakota and Fort Wayne.  We would finish 6th in the Summit at 6-8.  This feels more reasonable to me...

However, I'm going to even take it a step further, as I believe that the Summit is a little bit down over last year, and I think we have a decent shot at a winning record in conference play, especially after this team has begun to gel and buy-in to the Mills approach after a brutal non-conference schedule.  As a result, I'm going to predict our Summit record at 8-6, and our final regular season record at 14-17, and that we will be one of those dangerous teams that no one wants on their side of the bracket in Sioux Falls.

W-L by month and cumulative:

November 2-6

December 3-5; 5-11

January 5-3; 10-14

February 4-3; 14-17

OT, it's all yours!!!

• Upvote 1