Sign in to follow this  
mvfcfan

Would you support ORU moving to the MVC?

Would you support Oral Roberts moving to the Missouri Valley Conference?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support ORU moving to the MVC?

• Yes
    • No

mvfcfan    1
mvfcfan
17 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Check out the "Fort Wayne To The Horizon League?" thread for some spirited give-and-take on the Southland vs. Summit argument. 

The main thing I saw on there that intrigued me was that UNDFan thinks that the Summit League is going to sponsor FBS football and add he Montanas, Idahos, and EWU. What he fails to realize is that you cannot simply just move up to FBS. You have to be invited to a FBS conference to move up. There is one exception to this and that is they could all join the WAC and go FBS that route, since the WAC is still technically an FBS conference. But it is impossible for the Summit League to sponsor FBS football. 

He also seems to be in self denial. The reason UND joined the Summit League was for travel and to rejoin the other 3 Dakota schools. The Big Sky didn't even make UND pay an exit fee, that's how bad they wanted them out. Although the Montana and Idaho schools could come to the Summit League I just don't see it happen and if it does happen it will be as an FCS conference. Just thought I should clear that up. 

I think as far as the Summit's League's future is concerned I definitely see Ft Wayne leaving. In that case I think The SL needs to invite Chicago State for baseball reasons. Without IPFW the Summit League would be down to 5 schools for baseball and that isn't enough to get an auto bid. I'd also try to get UMKC to come back. Long term I think that the Summit and WAC will probably end up merging. Both conferences are in trouble and I think the only way they survive as separate organizations is if they can get some more D2 schools to join. The only teams in most cases the WAC and Summit can poach are teams from each others' conferences. That's just not going to work forever. North Dakota was a special case because they joined just to rejoin the other Dakota schools. Also other conferences are going to eventually poach more teams from the WAC and Summit League. Just not a lot of options out there for either conference. 

From my perspective I think if ORU can't get into the Missouri Valley after next season then ORU needs to try to go back to the Southland Conference. I think the Southland overall is a better fit for ORU and I think that it is a lot more stable. Hopefully you guys just get an MVC invite along with Murray State though. :D

ORUParentLurker    2
ORUParentLurker

I personally think the MVC is a great fit and would be all for it.  Joining with the WAC would be a nightmare.  That league is the most random gathering of schools around.

Old Titan    479
Old Titan
15 hours ago, mvfcfan said:

The main thing I saw on there that intrigued me was that UNDFan thinks that the Summit League is going to sponsor FBS football and add he Montanas, Idahos, and EWU. What he fails to realize is that you cannot simply just move up to FBS. You have to be invited to a FBS conference to move up. There is one exception to this and that is they could all join the WAC and go FBS that route, since the WAC is still technically an FBS conference. But it is impossible for the Summit League to sponsor FBS football. 

He also seems to be in self denial. The reason UND joined the Summit League was for travel and to rejoin the other 3 Dakota schools. The Big Sky didn't even make UND pay an exit fee, that's how bad they wanted them out. Although the Montana and Idaho schools could come to the Summit League I just don't see it happen and if it does happen it will be as an FCS conference. Just thought I should clear that up. 

I think as far as the Summit's League's future is concerned I definitely see Ft Wayne leaving. In that case I think The SL needs to invite Chicago State for baseball reasons. Without IPFW the Summit League would be down to 5 schools for baseball and that isn't enough to get an auto bid. I'd also try to get UMKC to come back. Long term I think that the Summit and WAC will probably end up merging. Both conferences are in trouble and I think the only way they survive as separate organizations is if they can get some more D2 schools to join. The only teams in most cases the WAC and Summit can poach are teams from each others' conferences. That's just not going to work forever. North Dakota was a special case because they joined just to rejoin the other Dakota schools. Also other conferences are going to eventually poach more teams from the WAC and Summit League. Just not a lot of options out there for either conference. 

From my perspective I think if ORU can't get into the Missouri Valley after next season then ORU needs to try to go back to the Southland Conference. I think the Southland overall is a better fit for ORU and I think that it is a lot more stable. Hopefully you guys just get an MVC invite along with Murray State though. :D

Can't imagine the Southland presidents allowing ORU back into the league after the messy divorce.

I'm not sure it's unfathomable that a Summit League team without baseball might add the sport.

Wondering what the rules are about adding a D-2 baseball program into the Summit League as an affiliate member in that sport only?

Yes, UNDFan is laughably delusional.