ORU Changing Radio Broadcast Partners

Dr. Cornelius

John Hoover wasn't very kind to ORU during the Scott Sutton firing, but then again Pat Jones from the Sports Animal wasn't either.  I hope their signal is good at nighttime.

Getting bumped constantly from 97.1 to 1300 because of the Thunder probably played a big part in the move.

I assume since it is not mentioned, ORUWBB and ORUBase will stay with 1300.

As long as The Franchise puts all the ORUMBB games on their TuneIn app, I'm happy.

The Franchise seems to have better streaming from what I've experienced. Plus, does The Franchise have any other local sports partners? I doubt we will be getting bumped as much.

Good move! :thumbs-up:

• Upvote 1

I've been told that ORU women's basketball and baseball will now be going to "internet streaming only" from the ORU website and apps, which is probably fine since that's how so many people listen to broadcasts these days anyway, and the signal quality should be better, since ORU will be controlling the production instead of some Hourly Pay Joe at the Sports Animal.  ORU can now have have any and all the station breaks during those broadcasts, which means more spots to sell.  And, I'm also told that The Franchise may from time to time pick up the ORU internet production of high-profile women's basketball and baseball games, for radio broadcast.

I really like this move:  The Franchise operations in both Oklahoma City and Tulsa have the powerful backing of Tyler Media, while "Sports Animal-Tulsa" has always been a red-headed stepchild to the Oklahoma City version, and to its Stephens Radio Group big brother in Tulsa, KXOJ/KCFO.  Tyler Media's technology is much further along than the Sports Animal, in terms of their mobile app, their streaming capabilities, their social media presence, and their website.

And, like him or not, John Hoover is a tireless writer who blogs on anything and everything pertinent to sports in Oklahoma on The Franchise website.  I can't imagine he won't be opining on ORU's fortunes (good or bad) even more, now that the Golden Eagles are "family".

Smart move by Scott Higgins and crew, if for no other reason than ORU's men's basketball broadcasts are no longer going to get bumped by Union High School girl's basketball and the like.

• Upvote 1

As someone who doesn't have any "apps" and has never streamed anything, moving from radio is going to be an adjustment.

But, I guess I'll have to suck it up and enter the 20th century!?!

• Upvote 1

The ONLY downside to this is that streaming does away with listeners who may stumble onto the broadcast. But realistically how many could there be? Do causal radio listeners really stop on a college baseball game if they pick it up on the radio while driving? Doubtful.

On the whole this is a really good move.

3 hours ago, oruvoice said:

As someone who doesn't have any "apps" and has never streamed anything, moving from radio is going to be an adjustment.

But, I guess I'll have to suck it up and enter the 20th century!?!

Unless you're planning to start wearing a top hat and riding in a carriage, you mighty want to try entering the 21st century instead.

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Unless you're planning to start wearing a top hat and riding in a carriage, you mighty want to try entering the 21st century instead.

I know. It was an attempt at humor.

Although, I do like a good top hat.

2 hours ago, oruvoice said:

I know. It was an attempt at humor.

Although, I do like a good top hat.

If you ARE in fact thinking of entering this century, your wardrobe might be good place to start! :rofl:

4 hours ago, Old Titan said:

If you ARE in fact thinking of entering this century, your wardrobe might be good place to start! :rofl:

WOW!

It's been a tough offseason for ol' Voice.

54 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

WOW!

It's been a tough offseason for ol' Voice.

LOL - like I'm one to talk...

business-cas-meme-239x300.png