Matt Whatley wins 2017 Johnny Bench Award

ORUTerry

WOW!!!....that's amazing for a 2nd team Summit League catcher....:-P...can we get a recount on that vote??....congrats to Matt and he is now a shoo- in for the ORU Hall of Fame.....:clap:

At 9:00 am on Friday morning, a quick check on the Tulsa World web site shows absolutely no mention of Whatley or his award.....

I know the award was not made until around 10:00 last night - which seems silly given media deadlines, but you would think the Tulsa World would have some mention of it in its electronic version. Maybe they will have a story tomorrow.....

• Upvote 1

When it comes to ORU....Tulsa World = FAKE NEWS or no news at all......it's an epidemic in this country...somebody call Sean Hannity or Tucker Carlson....;-)

4 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

At 9:00 am on Friday morning, a quick check on the Tulsa World web site shows absolutely no mention of Whatley or his award.....

I know the award was not made until around 10:00 last night - which seems silly given media deadlines, but you would think the Tulsa World would have some mention of it in its electronic version. Maybe they will have a story tomorrow.....

You'd think, if they can make mention that Dane Evans(very deserving BTW) has a new contract with the Eagles(announced just a couple of hours ago), they could mention something online or twitter about Matt Whatley's amazing award.  He's in their own back yard for goodness sake

I know that this should not bother me as much as it does, but the fact that the Tulsa World only gave this story three sentences is amazing to me. Whatley is a local kid (Claremore) and he won a national (Johnny Bench) award for being the best college catcher. Johnny Bench is an Oklahoman too...

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

I know that this should not bother me as much as it does, but the fact that the Tulsa World only gave this story three sentences is amazing to me. Whatley is a local kid (Claremore) and he won a national (Johnny Bench) award for being the best college catcher. Johnny Bench is an Oklahoman too...

Agreed, it's pretty shabby.  

I mean what else do you want?  It's almost too perfect a story if you're the Tulsa World.  Local kid, major national award, Oklahoma connection.

The Tulsa World Sports Dept. is probably too busy working on  its' next Sutton interview.....;-)

• Upvote 2

This is a nice story about Matt Whatley in the 7-6-17 Tulsa World. Good to see him get the noteriety he deserves. Kudos to the Tulsa World.

------------------------------------

Now a pro baseball player, former ORU and Claremore standout Matt Whatley recalls 'surreal' experiences

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/oru/baseball/now-a-pro-baseball-player-former-oru-and-claremore-standout/article_5d37b3bb-e052-5203-b108-427f04c0c8ca.html

(Via Tulsa World)

Enough "coverage" now?

595e7299002da_WhatleyTulsaWorld.thumb.jpg.99ab7339e0f905f003d79737ce8b4080.jpg

Nice job by Kendrick Marshall, and properly covered as a feature story - much more interesting to get Matt's thoughts after the fact, than just the nuts-and-bolts that night.

As a follow-up, Matt was promoted earlier this week from Rookie to Class A (short-season) Spokane.  It is normal for teams to use a brief stay in the Arizona Rookie League as an "orientation to Minor League Baseball", so the promotion was not unexpected.  But it's good to know that he is on his way...