Paul Mills Town Hall (July 17)

ORUTerry

I received this in the mail.... I won't be able to attend, but do have some questions I will submit. I'm sure they will take questions from fans that are out of town.

IMG_3148.JPG

why not hold it in the new Baby Mabee theater and stream it?  they jut spent millions on technology for that building.

-- Will you consider taking the giant chicken off the floor of the mabee center?

-- Can we get a throwback jersey w/the Holy Spirit flame?

• Upvote 1

What's the over/under on how many feet away from Coach Mills that Mike Carter will be monitoring the crowd during the Q&A session? :^)

FIVE COACH MILLS QUESTIONS I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW THE ANSWER TO:

1.  What are your top three personal goals for the team this coming season?

2.  Aside from your own personal goals, what do you feel are the expectations of your bosses at ORU, in both the short and long term, and are they too much, not enough, or right in line with yours?

3.  How will recruiting to ORU differ from recruiting to Baylor, in terms of scope and approach?

4.  Have you reached out to many of Scott Sutton's former players, and what has been their response?

5. You and one other Baylor assistant applied for the ORU job, another has joined your staff in Tulsa, and yet another just took an assistant's job at Iona.  Is everyone flying the coop down in Waco in anticipation of major NCAA sanctions that will include Scott Drew's program?

Hey Paul....do you have any tattoos?....;-)

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

FIVE COACH MILLS QUESTIONS I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW THE ANSWER TO:

1.  What are your top three personal goals for the team this coming season?

To compete every game 
Play our style of basketball  
Be excellent in everything we do

2.  Aside from your own personal goals, what do you feel are the expectations of your bosses at ORU, in both the short and long term, and are they too much, not enough, or right in line with yours?

Championships. This program has a rich history of championships and we want to continue that tradition. 

3.  How will recruiting to ORU differ from recruiting to Baylor, in terms of scope and approach?

It won't. We rarely recruited "big time" players at Baylor. We were at our best when we found the diamonds in the rough and we'll do that here too. 

4.  Have you reached out to many of Scott Sutton's former players, and what has been their response?

We have and they’ve already started joining us on campus. In fact pro ball player Larry Owens was with us just a few weeks ago. 

5. You and one other Baylor assistant applied for the ORU job, another has joined your staff in Tulsa, and yet another just took an assistant's job at Iona.  Is everyone flying the coop down in Waco in anticipation of major NCAA sanctions that will include Scott Drew's program?

Security. Will you please show this man out?

Minus your last question, I wouldn't expect much from your questions. This would be my bet on his answers. 

On 6/29/2017 at 2:42 PM, WingMaaaan said:

Minus your last question, I wouldn't expect much from your questions. This would be my bet on his answers. 

That's why I would like to see them truly answered - not just spun. :!:

• 3 weeks later...

Was anybody able to attend? I was interested to hear Coach Mills but couldn't make it.

I was there. I'll share some of his talking points a little later. 

Coach Mills was on point with everything he said.  Extremely complimentary of the Suttons.  Explained how he's had multiple conversations with them and that they love these players and truly want to see the program succeed.  ORU will play fast and furious this season.  Starting five looks great.  Stacked up front and lots of help in the backcourt compared to last season.  Stressed hitting the offensive glass and improving the assist/turnover ratio.  Definitely an upgrade from last year's team and a top three conference contender.  LET'S DO THIS!

• Upvote 1

I would love to see a home/home with Valpo.  I also like the idea of keeping Oakland and Mo. State as regulars on the schedule.  I agree with trying to get the better mid-majors in Mabee on a home/home basis.  Finally and it will take time but I want our program to strive to be like the Butler's,  Gonzaga's, George Mason's and VCU's of the basketball world.  It will take time.  It will also take people like us stepping up our levels of giving and support.  But, it can be done.  Also, I like his commitment to the vision of our institution.  

If nothing else, the guy has ambition. Still very skeptical until I see the product he puts on the court.

I've yet to hear a new coach come into a program and tell the fans its going to be a terrible year.  One thing Mills has going for him is some pretty low expectations (judging by this forum).

TheEagleman sets the Mid-Summer over/under on ORU wins at 11.5....adjustments could come once full schedule is released.....:eagles:

42 minutes ago, ORUParentLurker said:

I've yet to hear a new coach come into a program and tell the fans its going to be a terrible year.  One thing Mills has going for him is some pretty low expectations (judging by this forum).

Well, it is reasonable for expectations to be down after the past few years. How fast Mills can implement his system remains to be seen.

Some reasons to be positive:

• The guards Mills has brought in the year seem to be a BIG upgrade over the past few seasons.
  • Our front court has the potential to be very productive (especially in the Summit) given the assist numbers the incoming guards put up at their previous stops. The past few years ORU had a problem feeding the post, hopefully those problems are gone.

I wasn't watching the team last year so I can't comment on the differences.  But I can say based on what I've seen the balance should be better.  Sometimes all it takes to use the post better is to have better threats from the outside pulling the defense.

It seems unlikely they will be a Bobby Huggins pressing team in year one though.  I don't see the depth.  But maybe they'll all get into great shape and pull it off.  Who am I to tell some kids they can't do it?

Based on a tremendously difficult OOC schedule.  It think a reasonable goal is to go at least .500 OOC and develop the confidence and chemistry to have a chance to win the Summit.