Fort Wayne To The Horizon League?

Old Titan

1 hour ago, oruvoice said:

Did you just intimate that UND could make a run at the CFP table?!?!?!?

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the laugh. My day has been brightened!

The Summit League could make a run at a CFP payment of at least $1  mill per fb team.  That's what Tulsa gets.  The next contract could go higher.

I never said UND would be a CFP participant, but plenty of NDSU fans have said they have a chance.

18 hours ago, WingMaaaan said:

You guys are HATERS. :tears-of-joy: I say let the guy come to our board and say what he wants. It's good to have opposing team's (non-aggressive) posters dialogue here. We gotta stop scaring these folks away. Dispute the point, but I vote we chill with all the ad hominem arguments. 

Well, where's the fun in that??

If he's going to slum on here, he should at least bring chips and dip. :clap:

P.S.  Any "rumors" re: Oklahoma or Alabama adding hockey as scholarship sports were formulated in either a bar in Duluth or someone's mom's basement in Fargo, and are worthy of a post on the Facebook page of the "Flat Earth Club". :fubar:

31 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

P.S.  Any "rumors" re: Oklahoma or Alabama adding hockey as scholarship sports...

Dean Blevins becomes an old time hockey fan overnight

• Upvote 1

Here is why the Summit is and will remain a basketball league with other sports but not football.  To get into the FBS/D-IA "arms race" in football is insanity.  According to a report from 2015 in USA Today, North Dakota's annual budget that year for athletics was $24,880,019 for ALL SPORTS.  The smallest athletic budget in the Big 10 that same year belonged to Purdue, whose budget was $78,699,976 or over 3.16x greater than North Dakota's budget.  The largest athletic budget in the Big 10 in 2015 belonged to Ohio State who came in at $170,789,765 or almost 7x's greater than North Dakota.  By way of further example, this year in April after the season was over, Ohio State awarded their MBB Coach (Thad Matta) a bonus of $650,000 even though the Buckeyes failed for the second year in a row to qualify for the "Big Dance".  Then in June Gene Smith, OSU's AD decided it was time to can Matta, so he fired him but agreed to pay him an additional $9,000,000 which represents the remaining portion owed on his contract which runs through 2020.  My point being is that if you eliminate the $$$ drain called FBS/D-IA football or for that matter even FCS/D-IAA football, an institution can fair much better by pumping its resources into MBB.  It is ok to also deeply fund other sports such as T&F, Volleyball, Soccer, Baseball or even Hockey.  That is why Denver, Omaha, IPFW and ORU do not field football teams.  But to try and match the big boys in football is just insanity.  They have the funds to throw at sports like a drunken sailor on shore leave at a Manila cat house.  I do not see the Summit going there, now or in the future.   That is why the Missouri Valley Football Conference exists.  Neither the Summit nor the MVC go there.  

1 hour ago, UNDfan said:

The Summit League could make a run at a CFP payment of at least $1  mill per fb team.  That's what Tulsa gets.  The next contract could go higher.

I never said UND would be a CFP participant, but plenty of NDSU fans have said they have a chance.

Nobody from the Summit (NDSU included) has a snowball's chance at EVER sniffing ANYTHING near the CFP.

NEVER. EVER. NEVER EVER. Not in a billion years. Not in 10 billion years.

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Well, where's the fun in that??

If he's going to slum on here, he should at least bring chips and dip. :clap:

P.S.  Any "rumors" re: Oklahoma or Alabama adding hockey as scholarship sports were formulated in either a bar in Duluth or someone's mom's basement in Fargo, and are worthy of a post on the Facebook page of the "Flat Earth Club". :fubar:

Alabama brass have been touring college hockey rinks for ideas of what they want to build.  Since Saban, their enrollment has nearly doubled and hockey is a way to keep getting Northern kids when Saban moves on.  Tide fans would love the action more than mbb and bring them out of the sun.  There is a method to the Tides magic, but whether you have the intellectual depth to see it is questionable.  UAH already draws well for hockey.

2 hours ago, oruvoice said:

Nobody from the Summit (NDSU included) has a snowball's chance at EVER sniffing ANYTHING near the CFP.

NEVER. EVER. NEVER EVER. Not in a billion years. Not in 10 billion years.

Any NCAA conference that obtains FBS status will be at the CFP bargaining table whether you approve or not.

Dakota fans. Bless their hearts.

This discussion has gone on for 2 weeks before I understood what UND fan was getting at. I had to read through the thread like 4 times.

I think the FBS conference realignment money train left the station at least 5 years ago and it's not coming back to share any revenue with a group of FCS schools located in the most treacherous travel region of the country and with a combined TV market probably smaller than Oklahoma.

You're talking about adding an entire conference to a system where the non-power conference members already split just 25% of the profit. Why would anyone go for that? Because you guys are good at hockey? The TV ratings for last years Frozen Four equated to about a 1/4th of an average Big Monday telecast.

And as ORU82 already mentioned, it would take a significant increase to athletic budgets that are already heavily subsidized.

ORU should probably be prepared for some movement among basketball-centric conferences, but by the time any MVFC or Big Sky schools are headed for the FBS, it will be because we're all in three NCAA subdivisions and the power schools left the little guys out completely.

29 minutes ago, ManiacAlum said:

This discussion has gone on for 2 weeks before I understood what UND fan was getting at. I had to read through the thread like 4 times.

I think the FBS conference realignment money train left the station at least 5 years ago and it's not coming back to share any revenue with a group of FCS schools located in the most treacherous travel region of the country and with a combined TV market probably smaller than Oklahoma.

You're talking about adding an entire conference to a system where the non-power conference members already split just 25% of the profit. Why would anyone go for that? Because you guys are good at hockey? The TV ratings for last years Frozen Four equated to about a 1/4th of an average Big Monday telecast.

And as ORU82 already mentioned, it would take a significant increase to athletic budgets that are already heavily subsidized.

ORU should probably be prepared for some movement among basketball-centric conferences, but by the time any MVFC or Big Sky schools are headed for the FBS, it will be because we're all in three NCAA subdivisions and the power schools left the little guys out completely.

Eggzactly.

Like I said...not in 10 billion years is any Summit/MVC/Dakota school ever going to be at the table with the SEC/Big 10/Etc.

Period.

55 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

Eggzactly.

Like I said...not in 10 billion years is any Summit/MVC/Dakota school ever going to be at the table with the SEC/Big 10/Etc.

Period.

Yet, Louisiana-Monroe and Coastal Carolina have a seat on that table.  How can anyone rationalize that, but this board does.

The future Summit has a formidable Senate consortium that want their schools represented.  This board just doesn't understand money and power.

1 hour ago, ManiacAlum said:

Many NDSU fans are so sure they will get in the MWC and MAC and become an FBS school.  No one wants to go to Fargo, as the MVC has repeatedly rejected them.

Sometimes being in a humble corner of the USA one has to get together with other humble institutions and work to the forefront where talents take you.

15 minutes ago, UNDfan said:

Yet, Louisiana-Monroe and Coastal Carolina have a seat on that table.  How can anyone rationalize that, but this board does.

The future Summit has a formidable Senate consortium that want their schools represented.  This board just doesn't understand money and power.

Did you just say that ULM and CC have a seat at the Power 5 table?

This just keeps getting more funnier and more funnier.

Well Monroe has been in the Sun Belt since 2001, so that's different. But why would you want to be ULM, or why would anyone want you to be their ULM?

And I'm pretty sure Coastal was only approved to get rid of Idaho, which was booted from the Sun Belt. Why travel to Moscow, ID when you can play conference games in Conway, SC (Myrtle Beach) and keep your conference title game.

44 minutes ago, UNDfan said:

Many NDSU fans are so sure they will get in the MWC and MAC and become an FBS school.  No one wants to go to Fargo, as the MVC has repeatedly rejected them.

Sometimes being in a humble corner of the USA one has to get together with other humble institutions and work to the forefront where talents take you.

I think you accidentally keep answering your own questions.

38 minutes ago, ManiacAlum said:

I think you accidentally keep answering your own questions.

But why does ORU want Fargo?  I was born in Fargo, but prefer Grand Forks, even though live a thousand miles away.

1 hour ago, oruvoice said:

Did you just say that ULM and CC have a seat at the Power 5 table?

This just keeps getting more funnier and more funnier.

Only to morons such as you.  The G5 has a place at the FBS table too, and it will be a G7 in a few years.

19 minutes ago, UNDfan said:

But why does ORU want Fargo?  I was born in Fargo, but prefer Grand Forks, even though live a thousand miles away.

Huh?

I just think that's how conferences work, especially at this level. It doesn't mean you get to invite yourself to a seat at someone else's expensive table.

57 minutes ago, UNDfan said:

Only to morons such as you.  The G5 has a place at the FBS table too, and it will be a G7 in a few years.

The American, Mountain West, MAC, C-USA and Sun Belt all receive between 12 - 15 million annually from the ESPN / Playoff contract (1/6th of the Power 5's take). So each Group of Five school ends up receiving $1 million (maybe more) but does that cover costs?

While revenue generated by athletics continues to rise, it is being outpaced by expenses, according to an NCAA study of athletic department budgets in 2013.

The report found that expenses exceeded revenue at all but 20 schools in the Football Bowl Subdivision. The average loss among the Power 5 conferences was $2.3 million.