Top 144 Preview (collegesportsmadness.com)

Old Titan

In sunnier times, this daily countdown was a lot of fun:  where would ORU be ranked?  would they be picked first in the Mid-Con/Summit?  would they be projected to make the NCAA or NIT field?

But, during the current drought, it's become merely a strength indicator of ORU's opponents:  who will be ranked from the Summit League?  who will be picked to win the conference title?  how many of ORU's non-conference foes will be ranked?  who will be highest?

Still an interesting read, if simply to while away the summer days till the season starts:

Top 144 Preview (collegesportsmadness.com)

I've been hearing A LOT of really good things about some of the new players and some really positive comments from the veterans about how the new staff is doing things.

I think we are going to be very pleasantly surprised about what we see on the floor next year!

2 hours ago, oruvoice said:

I've been hearing A LOT of really good things about some of the new players and some really positive comments from the veterans about how the new staff is doing things.

I think we are going to be very pleasantly surprised about what we see on the floor next year!

Although your optimism is appreciated, when last year's preseason Summit League poll had ORU picked to finish 6th in the conference, I believe your quote was, "Lots of folks underestimating ORU this year. Going to surprise a lot of people. We have depth, size, and experienced guard play." So... 

• Upvote 1

So where was Voice wrong?....ORU did surprise last year by winning only 8 games....and Coach Sutton played lots of experienced guards....usually at least four at a time.....:-P

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, NH2OK said:

Although your optimism is appreciated, when last year's preseason Summit League poll had ORU picked to finish 6th in the conference, I believe your quote was, "Lots of folks underestimating ORU this year. Going to surprise a lot of people. We have depth, size, and experienced guard play." So... 

Just telling you what I've heard. May be right. May be wrong.

Last year I was wrong.

• Upvote 1

TheEagleman will set the early line for ORU Men's Basketball wins in 2017-18 at 11.5......:geek:

10 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman will set the early line for ORU Men's Basketball wins in 2017-18 at 11.5......:geek:

I'd take the over. 6-7 Summit wins would get us there.

There's no way to predict how the team will fair this season until the following milestones occur:

1.  Full schedule released.

2.  Full roster finalized after classes start.

3.  Eligibility, redshirt, and injury status at season start.

4.  How quickly the roster adjusts to new style of play and new coaching staff.

Any predictions before those criteria are met are just guesses, pure and simple.

• Upvote 2

After further analysis....TheEagleman is revising the early summer O/U line for ORU wins to 10.5....:grimacing:

On 6/22/2017 at 8:23 AM, oruvoice said:

Is this pile on oruvoice day? LOL!!

Meant to reply to this. My original post was missing one of these :stuck-out-tongue-winking:. It's all love. I wish you were right. 

• Upvote 1

How about getting some winnable D-1 home games on our schedule....right now it's gonna be hard to see more than 1 or 2 wins in November....:blink:

18 hours ago, WingMaaaan said:

Meant to reply to this. My original post was missing one of these :stuck-out-tongue-winking:. It's all love. I wish you were right. 

It's all good.

But, I have been hearing some positive things. Evidently the players are buying into the new coaching staff.

1 hour ago, oruvoice said:

It's all good.

But, I have been hearing some positive things. Evidently the players are buying into the new coaching staff.

There's a lot to be said for fresh, inspirational energy. Even if that's all Coach Mills brings season 1 (which I think is selling him way short) I think we'll see an improvement from last year. I'm not surprised the players are buying in. 

Coach Sutton is a very good guy and a fine man....he will land somewhere and hopefully be energized by his new position....but it was obvious watching ORU over the past couple seasons that things had gotten stale ....the offense was going nowhere and the defense was non existent on many nights.....the 4 guard offense was a total disaster....we would play well in spurts then be unable to hold onto leads in the 2nd half....it was just not working out anymore and time for a change....sounds like Coach Mills may be a breath of fresh air to this team and some new fresh blood on the court will help also....winning breeds winning and our attitude and body language wasn't real positive since about 2014-15.....TheEagleman looks forward to a more exciting product on the court in 2017-18...:eagles:

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

No. 127 - South Dakota State

First Place in Summit League

NCAA Automatic Bid