2017-18 (Roster, Schedule, etc)

ORUalum

I assume the Euros aren't back on campus yet???

.....but no Jordan Doyle? Jordan Gilbert? or Alexa Scott?

Starting from Chris Wallace's left and going around it looks like:

• Mayberry
  • A. Beatty
  • Ihim
  • ???
  • Torrey? (face blocked)
  • Lippe
  • Hurst
  • Skalnik
  • L. Beatty
  • Coach Binam
  • Schumacher
  • ???

10 hours ago, ORUalum said:

I assume the Euros aren't back on campus yet???

.....but no Jordan Doyle? Jordan Gilbert? or Alexa Scott?

• Mayberry
  • A. Beatty
  • Ihim
  • ???
  • Torrey? (face blocked)
  • Lippe
  • Hurst
  • Skalnik
  • L. Beatty
  • Coach Binam
  • Schumacher
  • ???

I think they typically let the internationals stay home until late July when the entire team gathers on campus for workouts, etc. prior to the start of the school year.

Can't speak for the Jordans, but since they are upperclassmen they might not be required to attend summer workouts.  I think as in years past the summer workouts are primarily for incoming freshmen, and maybe incoming transfers, and maybe they're open to local players or even players that are taking summer classes, like Lakota.  I am pretty sure that Alexa Scott won't be back, I saw something recently on social media that referred to her as a 'retired athlete' and I believe she's moved back home to Norman for good.

Good job on who's who in the picture, from what I can tell almost everyone is identified correctly.  I've filled in the ??? and I see only one correction, which is for Coach Binam, that is Jaci Inman (formerly Jaci Bigham, who I think is still our DOBO (Director of Basketball Operations)):

• Mayberry
  • A. Beatty
  • Ihim
  • ??? (I'm almost positive that this is Katie Kirkhart, she was on the women's golf team last year, I'm not sure if she is a walk-on or what)
  • Torrey? (face blocked) (I think you are right)
  • Lippe
  • Hurst
  • Skalnik
  • L. Beatty
  • Coach Binam (Jaci Inman, Director of Basketball Operations, I believe)
  • Schumacher
  • ??? (I'm pretty sure this is Sarah Garvie, she played last season at NOC-Enid and signed with us in April, she will be a sophomore)

A few notes of interest:

Lakota had back surgery right after graduation in early May and everything went well, she is on track to start working out again late this summer or early this fall and should be ready to play when next season starts.

Congratulations to Jaci and her husband Tyler, they welcomed their son Brooks into the world in late April.

Congratulations to Assistant Coach Janae Voelker, who got married recently.  Her married name is now Janae Inman.  Same last name as Jaci, but I'm not sure of the family connection.

Individual and team camps are getting ready to start, it's always a good time for the coaches to be able to identify and evaluate players with potential and start (and continue) relationships with area players and coaches.

I have to think that Maria Martianez and Montse Brotons will be back next season, but I'm not sure about Mia Marti.  I also saw something recently, and then heard something recently, that we might have another international player joining us for next season, but I can't confirm.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, BlueGold said:

Good job on who's who in the picture, from what I can tell almost everyone is identified correctly.  I've filled in the ??? and I see only one correction, which is for Coach Binam, that is Jaci Inman (formerly Jaci Bigham, who I think is still our DOBO (Director of Basketball Operations)):

haha.....i mangled her maiden and married names and landed on former player and coach Krista Ragan Binam.....sorry about that

thanks for filling in the rest of the blanks.

i would be not be surprised if Scott did not return, but any thoughts on Doyle and Gilbert?  are they just out w/injuries or not returning?

ORUalum, I wish I could answer the questions you have, but unfortunately I'm not really that close to anyone within the program.  Most of what I know or end up finding out is either by what I see on social media or find out by luck or chance.

On 6/6/2017 at 9:49 AM, ORUalum said:

haha.....i mangled her maiden and married names and landed on former player and coach Krista Ragan Binam.....sorry about that

thanks for filling in the rest of the blanks.

i would be not be surprised if Scott did not return, but any thoughts on Doyle and Gilbert?  are they just out w/injuries or not returning?

On 6/6/2017 at 11:55 AM, BlueGold said:

ORUalum, I wish I could answer the questions you have, but unfortunately I'm not really that close to anyone within the program.  Most of what I know or end up finding out is either by what I see on social media or find out by luck or chance.

Katie Kirkhart is joining the Women's Basketball team as a walk-on. She is also on the Women's golf team. 

Jordan Doyle and Jordan Gilbert are still recovering from surgeries during the off-season. They will be ready for the well before the season starts again. Lakota is also recovering from a back surgery as well. 

Alexa Scott has transferred from ORU. 

6 hours ago, I am Eli said:

Katie Kirkhart is joining the Women's Basketball team as a walk-on. She is also on the Women's golf team. 

Jordan Doyle and Jordan Gilbert are still recovering from surgeries during the off-season. They will be ready for the well before the season starts again. Lakota is also recovering from a back surgery as well. 

Alexa Scott has transferred from ORU. 

Thanks for all of the updates and confirmations!

All Star games in June....please....give it a rest....no wonder we see so many injuries....praying that she is back on the court in 4 months....:unsure::sweat::worried:

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any insights on the schedule yet?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2017 at 0:00 PM, titansforever said:

Does anyone have any insights on the schedule yet?

Confirmed:

December 1 vs. Long Beach State (at the University of Montana Lady Griz Classic)

December 2 vs. Cal State Fullerton (at the University of Montana Lady Griz Classic)

Everything else is just speculation for now, but I'd expect that we might or should have games:

@Tulsa in the continuing home-and-home series for the annual PSO Mayor's Cup

@Missouri State (we've played them home-and-home in seven of the last eight seasons and in each of the last three)

@UT Martin (a return game)

Home vs. Houston Baptist (a return game)

Home vs. Little Rock (we've played them home-and-home for the last six seasons)

I'm holding out hope that maybe Arkansas will, or has to by obligation, return a game to us at the Mabee Center.  We've played them at their place the last two seasons, and maybe we agreed to a 2-for-1 deal, so it's possible that it would be their turn to play us in Tulsa this season.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us schedule at least two non-D1 teams this season, we've played at least two non-qualifiers every season for the last three.

In terms of the roster, I managed to find one online that I'm assuming is tentative since it hasn't been released or uploaded officially to the athletics website.  I actually found it by changing the year from 2016-17 to 2017-18 in the website URL for last season's roster on the athletics website.  Here it is:

5958046e95bdc_2017-18WBBroster_tentative.thumb.jpg.afaa8ad791bec3895eb92a6f5628d682.jpg

No Maria Marti, Alexa Scott, and it reflects the loss of Ashley Beatty :(.

Fourteen players, 13 that are eligible for 2017-18, Rylie Torrey has to sit out due to NCAA transfer rules.  I'm not sure if we will add anyone else, we have 13 that I would assume are on scholarship, unless Katie Kirkhart has had her status upgraded from a walk-on to a scholarship player.  The NCAA limit for women's basketball is 15 per season, and the staff might be holding off on extending us up to the maximum.

Hopefully Keni Jo is recovering well from the foot injury she suffered in the All-State game in early June, and I hope that both Jordans, and Lakota, are also recovering well from their injuries/surgeries.

Maria and Montse have both been named to junior-level Spanish national teams that will be playing in high-level tournaments during this summer, so congratulations to both of them.  It shows well on them and on our staff that they were named to these teams, they are both in select company.  

• 1 month later...

Looking at the Summit League's schedule for WBB--unless I'm reading it wrong, we have no home games this fall. Our first home game is in January, and we only have 7 home games altogether. Wow. (To clarify--I meant league home games, not home games in general. I should have been more specific.) :smile: 

Edited by titansforever
add info

here are some non-conference games i found...

• @ UT Arlington -- Nov 13
  • OK Panhandle -- Nov 17
  • Arkansas -- Nov 20
  • @ Tulsa -- Nov 29
  • Dec 15 & 16 -- Alcorn St and Chicago St (@ WSU -- Shocker Winter Classic)

23 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

here are some non-conference games i found...

• @ UT Arlington -- Nov 13
  • OK Panhandle -- Nov 17
  • Arkansas -- Nov 20
  • @ Tulsa -- Nov 29
  • Dec 15 & 16 -- Alcorn St and Chicago St (@ WSU -- Shocker Winter Classic)

Thanks for that, ORUalum! I hope we have some other non-conference home games this fall.

2 hours ago, titansforever said:

Looking at the Summit League's schedule for WBB--unless I'm reading it wrong, we have no home games this fall. Our first home game is in January, and we only have 7 home games altogether. Wow.

I think you are correct that there are no conference games before January.

Last year, there were 9 teams in the Summit League but with IUPUI backing out (at the last minute), there are only 8 teams this season.  That means everybody only gets 7 home and away conference games.  That also mean that every team will make the conference tournament.

Next season, UND will join the conference so it will go back up to nine teams.  That means one team will be left out of the tournament but everybody will get back to 8 home/away conference games.  

We will have to wait and see if the conference will be gaining, losing or staying pat with 9 teams after that.

I would guess that ORU has about 14 non-conference games that will all be played before January 1st (except for maybe one non-D1game) that they might try to fit in to make up for the two lost IUPUI games.  Hopefully about half of those games are at home.

NW Oklahoma St - 11/4

@ TCU -11/11

@ UT-Arlington 11/13

Panhandle State 11/17

Arkansas 11/20

Houston Baptist 11/25

@ Tulsa 11/29

@ Long Beach St/Cal State Fullerton (Griz Classic in Missoula, Montana) 12/1-2

@ UMKC 12/6

@ Missouri State 12/10

@ Chicago State/Alcorn State (Shocker Winter Classic in Wichita, Kansas) 12/16-17

@ Utah 12/21

@ Omaha 12/30

@ Fort Wayne 1/4

@Western Illinois 1/6

North Dakota State 1/11

South Dakota State 1/13

South Dakota 1/17

Denver 1/20

Central Christian College 1/23

Fort Wayne 2/1

Western Illinois 2/3

@ North Dakota State 2/8

@ South Dakota State 2/10

@ Denver 2/15

@ South Dakota 2/17

Omaha 2/21

55 minutes ago, I am Eli said:

NW Oklahoma St - 11/4

@ TCU -11/11

@ UT-Arlington 11/13

Panhandle State 11/17

Arkansas 11/20

Houston Baptist 11/25

@ Tulsa 11/29

@ Long Beach St/Cal State Fullerton (Griz Classic in Missoula, Montana) 12/1-2

@ UMKC 12/6

@ Missouri State 12/10

@ Chicago State/Alcorn State (Shocker Winter Classic in Wichita, Kansas) 12/16-17

@ Utah 12/21

@ Omaha 12/30

@ Fort Wayne 1/4

@Western Illinois 1/6

North Dakota State 1/11

South Dakota State 1/13

South Dakota 1/17

Denver 1/20

Central Christian College 1/23

Fort Wayne 2/1

Western Illinois 2/3

@ North Dakota State 2/8

@ South Dakota State 2/10

@ Denver 2/15

@ South Dakota 2/17

Omaha 2/21

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I am Eli! 

0 home games in December???:grimacing:

7 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

0 home games in December???:grimacing:

On the road for over 6-1/2 weeks from November 26 - January 11.  Go figure!

I guess they will get to go home from Utah for Christmas and show back up on Christmas night or the day after.  That will be a welcome break for the team.