2017 Summit League Tournament

theeagleman5

TheEagleman is wondering why ORU was the "visiting team" last night. Seems to me that the top seed should earn home honors....it just seems only right. That's why you play to win the regular season title. This coin flip stuff is BS...:geek:

I agree!!  The only time we should be visitors is if a second game on Sat is needed.

How do other leagues do it?

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman is wondering why ORU was the "visiting team" last night. Seems to me that the top seed should earn home honors....it just seems only right. That's why you play to win the regular season title. This coin flip stuff is BS...:geek:

Yeah, that threw me for a while.

I heard there is a somewhat complicated Summit League rule for determining the home vs. road team designation beyond the 1st 2 games where initial seeding determines the home team.  I have not yet researched that to verify it.

TheEagleman thinks the current system is unfair....we play 30 games for tournament seeding....the better seed should be the home team in every game. That's earned by regular season performance....its a huge advantage to be the home team....this needs to be reviewed....:!:

• Upvote 1

Looks like we will be playing NDSU tomorrow....Bison up 8-0 over the Jacks in the 7th at JLJ....:|

Final score....NDSU 8. SDSU 2...so tomorrow afternoon it's ORU vs. the Bison....hopefully Ausua will put them away peacefully.....:eagles:

It is a common practice in baseball tournaments for the home team to be determined by comparing the opponents' prior tourney games to balance the home and visitors over the course of the tournament.  Since SDSU had been the visitors in game one, and ORU the home team in game two, SDSU became the home team for our matchup.  As NDSU has been home team in two games, and visitors once - and ORU has one of each - ORU should be the home team in the championship game.  If NDSU forces the "if necessary" game, the Bison will be the home team in that game.

The NCAA regionals follow a similar format.

• Upvote 1

I hear ya but thats just a dumb way to do it.....so what good is winning all those games and earning a higher seed? As the #1 seed we have earned the right to be the home  team in every game....:geek:

I found the rules relating to the "home team" designation, and it is basically exactly what TrueBlue82 mentioned.  As long as the team that comes in 1st place in the previous season keeps being allowed to host the following year's postseason tournament, I honestly do not care if this "home team" designation stays as it is.  It seems to allow all the teams in the tournament to feel like they are being treated fairly even though they are effectively playing road games at ORU every year during the Summit League Tournament.

Section 16. Home Team

The home team for the first round of the championship will be the higher-seeded team. In subsequent games, the home team shall

be determined according to the following formula:

1. The Championship Manager shall designate as home team the institution that has been home team the fewer times in the

championship.

2. If two teams have been home team an equal number of times but visiting team an unequal number of times, the team that

has been the visitor more often shall be designated as home team.

3. If the two teams are equal in the number of times that they have been home and visitors, the Championship Manager shall

observe the following procedures in order:

a. The team that was visitor in its preceding game shall be the home team, unless both teams were visitors in their

preceding games.

b. If the two teams have met previously in the championship, the visitor in the previous game shall be the home team in

the game in question.

c. If the above procedures do not resolve the matter, the home team shall be the higher seed. (Amended June 2014)

https://cbua.arbitersports.com/Groups/103681/Library/files/summit_15-16.pdf

While looking through the Summit League Baseball Tournament rules, I found this interesting nugget.  Two days of rain would lead to a single elimination tournament, if the first 2 days are played, but the rest of the tournament is rained out, then the 2-0 team would move on, and if rain cancelled the whole tournament, the #1 seed would move on.  It makes sense, and is interesting.

If rain cancels two consecutive days of the competition a single-elimination tournament will be played.

G. If rain cancels the championship game the game will be postponed until weather permits the game to be played.

H. If rain prevents the completion of the championship game prior to the date and time when the NCAA requires notification for

selection to the NCAA tournament the following procedure will determine the automatic qualifier:

1. The team with the fewest tournament losses,

2. If both teams have the same number of losses, the team with the best head-to-head tournament record,

3. If the teams have split in their tournament games, or have not yet played in the tournament, the team that was the higher

pre-tournament seed.

I. If the entire championship is cancelled, the regular season champion or the number one tournament seed (in the event of a

regular season tie) shall advance to the NCAA Championship. (Adopted June 2009)

https://cbua.arbitersports.com/Groups/103681/Library/files/summit_15-16.pdf

Thanks for the explanation 82 and Jason. I've always wondered how they determined who played as the home team.

I agree with you Eagleman. Unfortunately, in American sports the regular season has almost no meaning. The end of season tournament is all that matters. Any opportunity to make regular season games more relevant and meaningful should be taken. 

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!!!.  7-0 complete game by Miguel Ausua a 5 hitter...a 5 run 6th put the game away. 42-14 and ORU awaits the pairings on Monday...:eagles:

Miguel Ausua with "the Maddux" masterpiece- CG shutout on only 85 pitches. Just an incredible performance.

He faced just 2 batters over the minimum thanks to 3 ORU double plays.

• Upvote 1

That was a really fun game today.  Ausua was in complete control.  He received the MVP award for the Summit League Tournament.

Our pitching staff will be well rested for the regional.