Early Regional Projections

ManiacAlum

Since there was no baseball today and because we are about a month away from the conference tournament, I thought I would check out some of the regional projections. This is about the time of year they start getting a little more consistent.

The projections put out this week at Baseball America and D1 Baseball (Kendall Rogers) both had us as a 4-seed in Fayetteville. Interestingly enough, the projected 3-seed in this regional could be Oklahoma or Texas. 

I would imagine if one of those teams shows up as a #3 with ORU in the field it would have to be one of the toughest regionals in the country.

Baseball America Projected Field of 64

D1 Baseball Projections

Warren Nolan has ORU as a four seed in Fort Worth.  Must admit I would prefer to avoid TCU and their pitching rotation this year. 

Any chance we pull a 3 seed? Or had the summit schedule doomed us again? 

It would have helped our cause to get a 3 seed if we would have won at least 2 of 3 in the Minnesota tournament instead of going 0 for 3.  However, this team is playing like a Top 50 team right now since they have figured out their pitching, so IMHO they deserve a 3 seed at this point.

ORU is a top 40 team that will get hosed with a 4 seed because of the weak Summit League....We might not get a 3 seed even if we run the table....watching 6th ranked Texas Tech play 5Th ranked TCU on ESPN right now and the Red Raiders are up 9-2 in the 3rd...lots of hitting so far...:|

That Warren Nolan projection in Fort Worth would be brutal! I also have no desire to see TCU or their pitching again. I can't say that I'm sad not to see Dallas Baptist in these projections either. But, Texas A&M would be another tough 3-seed to run into. They're ranked in a couple of the polls. OU was a top-10 team just a couple of weeks ago, and Texas is Texas.

The disappearance of the usual top programs as hosts in the state of Texas and out west made for some tough regionals last year and will cause even more havoc this year. For example- ORU running into Arizona State in an elimination game last year. 

In any given season, there are 8 regionals west of Fayetteville, essentially splitting the country evenly. Last year there were only 3, this year there may be 4. Add to that, the Big 12 is going to place seven teams in the field this year with only 2 hosts (TCU, Texas Tech) with tough teams like OU, Texas, Baylor and Texas A&M making the field after missing out last year, but not good enough to host. 

Our RPI hanging around the 110 range will keep us in a 4-seed. This is an exceptionally bad year even by Summit standards. No other team has an RPI higher than 250, which would be the equivalent of playing an entire conference schedule versus 300+ teams in basketball. Our record versus the Top 50 is actually 3-4, which would be helpful in any other season.

• Upvote 1

This is why we need to be in the Missouri Valley. I think this is a good time to promote our school to the powers that be. You can call me crazy but with basketball and baseball, we are a natural fit. I played baseball at Indiana State and we were tough. I would love to see us in the Valley.

• Upvote 1

TheEagleman wants no part of any regional with TCU or TTU either.... But I would sign up to go to Fayetteville with the Hogs, Houston and OU....we can beat all 3....Who knows....maybe we could get sent back East....:eagles:

No one wants us in their regional as a #4 seed....

• Upvote 1

I think being in the Valley for baseball, much like our time in the Southland, would definitely be more interesting and improve our RPI. But it's just impossible for teams outside of the power conferences to get at-large bids without an RPI in the Top 25.

And while it would help our seeding if we got in, we wouldn't have the luxury of an "automatic" bid that we enjoy in the Summit.

The Sun Belt has the defending national champion in Coastal Carolina and 6 teams(!) in the Top 100 and looks like it will only get in the tourney champion. The Southland has 3 teams in the Top 100 and is still usually a one-bid league.

Dallas Baptist has an RPI in the Top 50 and won't get in without winning the MVC. And we saw how tough they are, taking a series from us in Tulsa.

ORU was a 3-seed in Stillwater just two years ago. We have received higher seeds while in the Summit. Sometimes it's just about getting a good draw, and no matter what, beating the teams in front of us.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Warren Nolen (5/9)

1. TCU (4)
  2. Ole Miss
  3. UTA
  4. ORU

Baseball America (5/10)

1. Miss St (7)
  2. Texas
  3. La Tech
  4. Oral Roberts

D1 Baseball (5/10)

1. TCU (5)
  2. Arkansas
  3. La Tech
  4. Oral Roberts

• Upvote 1

Come on, Starkville!  (Insert praying hands Emoji here)

Go big blue! 

Rob

Warren Nolen (5/16)

1. Arkansas
  2. Wake Forest
  3. La-La
  4. ORU

Baseball America (5/17)

1. Oklahoma
  2. Fullerton
  3. Indiana
  4. ORU

D1 Baseball (5/17)

1. Oklahoma
  2. Nebraska
  3. McNeese
  4. ORU
  • Upvote 1

Would be great to squeeze into the Norman regional! I could make it for a game or two.  

OSU beat OU twice yesterday (9 to 7 and 5 to 2). I hope we get matched against the Sooners in the Norman regional. Less travel and we have faced them before. 

2 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

OSU beat OU twice yesterday (9 to 7 and 5 to 2). I hope we get matched against the Sooners in the Norman regional. Less travel and we have faced them before. 

Hopefully this doesn't knock the Sooners out of a hosting spot altogether. We need both to play well at the Big 12 tourney, for our RPI and for OU to hang on as a host.

Warren Nolan (5/23)

1. TCU (6)
  2. Houston
  3. La Tech
  4. ORU

Baseball America (5/24)

1. Arkansas
  2. Oklahoma
  3. McNeese
  4. ORU

D1 Baseball (5/23)

1. Arkansas
  2. Missouri St
  3. Texas
  4. ORU

At this point, there are only 11 teams with 40 or more wins, and ORU is one of them.  Our RPI is currently 87th.

• Upvote 1