Paul Mills Named Head Basketball Coach

Old Titan

According to the ORU website he is. 

IMG_2737.PNG

Still rooting for this guy to get a shot on a college basketball staff. 

@ChadWilkerson4

IMG_2738.PNG

• Upvote 3

Good. I have liked what Coach Perry has done over the last few weeks. I also think keeping Steve Upshaw helps with team continuity. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, vcboy2000 said:

Still rooting for this guy to get a shot on a college basketball staff. 

@ChadWilkerson4

IMG_2738.PNG

Me too

• Upvote 2

I too like what Coach Perry has done over the last couple weeks.  I also think this can be a really great staff.  May God bless them and guide and direct them in all they do!

• Upvote 2

I am not surprised that the annual salary is around $200K.  Once Paul Mills proves something, there will be plenty of room to move him up significantly and that is a nice carrot to keep him motivated.  

While I know there is a feeling that such a low salary shows a lack of commitment to athletics, it is in line with the Summit League average, and ORU just paid $900K to Scott Sutton plus probably some guaranteed money to Sean Sutton to fulfill their contracts just in order to get another coach in here who could actually get things headed back in the right direction.  That actually shows a significant financial commitment to athletics IMHO. 

• Upvote 2

I am very pleased with the pick. I believe we not only have a solid head coach with good speaking skills but hopefully we are looking at a coach who knows the x's and o's. He is a proven coach and has worked with many good to great players, so I am thankful that we have this hire. I believe Rodney will be dynamic as an Assistant and will become a top recruiter. I already see these skills in action. We are looking at two different skill sets that are very positive. Rodney is a player's coach and can relate. I see Mills as a teacher of the game. Just my take. We are better as a BB team today than we have been for the past few years without playing a game. Now, if we hire another good assistant by the name of Chad Wilkerson, I will be totally satisfied.:oru:

• Upvote 2

I too am not impressed with the salary if it is in the $200k range, but we are spending a ton to get rid of the Sutton Bros. which does show a commitment to athletics.  BTW, that salary range is in line with the rest of the Summit, save for Denver.  As this staff gets the program back on track and the fans start coming back, address the salary issue appropriately at that time.  I am excited for the future of our program.

I would imagine that he took a pay cut to come to ORU. That means he is motivated to run his own program. I like that he met with the players. Hopefully he and his staff can add a player or two to the roster.

It will be interesting to see what style of basketball we play. Baylor plays an uptempo offense - shooting lots of threes. And they primarily play ZONE defense 

Through all this mess, I have been so impressed with Coach Perry.  A botched firing by ORU, back channel sniping through the media against the university administration, and all the while Coach Perry held everything together.  I hope the administration lets him know what a great job he has done and that they appreciate his effort. 

Thank you Coach Perry  :clap::eagles::clap:

• Upvote 2

On 4/28/2017 at 4:04 PM, Old Titan said:

Great "content"!   #Irestmycase

What exactly would you rather the official school PR account say about that picture?

Bill Haisten just can't get over the fact the the Suttons were fired by ORU.  Let it go man, let it go.

He's probably written more articles about ORU basketball in the last four weeks than he did in the previous four years.

Despite the denials of Carter and Wilson, Haisten is still pushing as fact that Sutton was only allowed to recruit Christians.

Bill Haisten: From a festival of mistakes at the start, ORU basketball transition has a clean finish - TW

First: You don’t fire an 18-year, 328-victory head basketball coach — Scott Sutton — after a revised recruiting policy made it difficult for him to recruit winning players. You sit down, you make compromises and changes, and then you move forward with a man who might have coached for 18 more seasons.

Second: You don’t fire a coach 47 days after the end of the season. It’s a sorry play in that it makes it difficult — if not impossible — for Sutton and his brother, assistant coach Sean Sutton

In 66 games before Wilson was promoted to the presidency, Sutton’s record was 49-17. Now, he’s unemployed.

The most prominent of all questions: Will the university make it easier for Mills to recruit than it was for Sutton the last three years? Will Mills be allowed to sign athletes who aren’t already professed Christians, with a history of church attendance?

Haisten and the rest of the local media don't seem very interested in reporting actual facts.

I'm sure we'll all see stories on ORU's turnaround when this same collection of players wins more than 6 D1 games next season. :smirking:

Haisten's article proves he is nothing more than a schill for the Sutton family.  The sad fact is that we were a train wreck that happened over the past several years.  Attendance tanked, our record tanked, players and coaches left like those trying to get off the Titanic, we almost had an open revolt amongst the players mid season, we continually blew halftime leads, did not make the post season Summit League Tourney, and the list goes on.  The truth is it was probably long past when a change should have been made.  Thank God we finally did act.  As for the lie about only recruiting Christians, that certainly has not affected our baseball team which continually gets it done on a lot smaller budget.

• Upvote 1