Anonymous Letter To Billy Wilson

Old Titan

not sure there is much impact w/out any names attached.

it took the faculty stepping up and voting no confidence in RR to have him removed.

until prominent names are attached, i don't see this going anywhere.

not downplaying the allegations - they may all be factual (i have no way of knowing)

3 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

not sure there is much impact w/out any names attached.

it took the faculty stepping up and voting no confidence in RR to have him removed.

until prominent names are attached, i don't see this going anywhere.

not downplaying the allegations - they may all be factual (i have no way of knowing)

Not a big fan of anonymous letters myself (says the "grown" man using an online handle and a Chris Farley avatar).

Not impressed. The allegations are weak, relatively non specific and unsubstantiated. What is this - junior high school? If you feel strongly about it, sign your name. And don't spread it out via the news media. Go directly to him or the Alumni Board or the Board of Trustees.

I am not defending Wilson necessarily - just pointing out my opinion of this document.

• Upvote 2

• The points related to the use of Oral's name are ridiculous. The entire campus is erected in his honor. And while we can look back on OR's life and admire many of the things he accomplished, he also did a lot of things that compromised the legitimacy of the university (even to this day). That said, finding a way to move forward, instead of moving on, is a smart move IMO. 
  • The overlapping of BW's personal ministry and university interests has been a concern of mine since the beginning. This was a problem for RR and is most definitely a conflict of interest. His main and only priority should be running the university. 
  • The claims of intimidation are things I've heard from people who have worked at the university during his tenure. You can't ignore that these claims did not emerge as frequently, if at all, under Rutland.  
  • Upvote 2

Just now, WingMaaaan said:
  • The points related to the use of Oral's name are ridiculous. The entire campus is erected in his honor. And it stands to reason that while we can look back on OR's life and admire many of the things he accomplished, he also did a lot of things that compromised the legitimacy of the university (even to this day). That said, finding a way to move forward, instead of moving on, is a smart move IMO. 

thought the same thing......it was definitely written by an OR super fan.

i know it will never happen, but as i've posted before, i wish "Oral" would be removed from the name of the university.

TheEagleman is just wondering...has anyone ever seen Billy Wilson and Vladimir Putin in the same room together?.....just sayin'.....:geek:

It is irrelevant what allegations are made if the letter is unsigned.  Sign the letter and we can begin discussing it.  As it stands now, the letter should be totally disregarded.

ORU BOARD OF TRUSTEES REPORT

The Oral Roberts University Board of Trustees wrapped up its spring meeting today and is extremely pleased with the performance and outcomes achieved at ORU during the past four years of Dr. William Wilson’s presidency. Under Dr. Wilson’s leadership, ORU has achieved key milestones including record-setting enrollment and freshman retention rates; operating 100% debt free for the past four years; full accreditation following the most recent Higher Learning Commission visit; and the announcement on April 19th that ORU has raised $50.1 million for a comprehensive campaign launched in conjunction with the 50th Anniversary of the University. This is the largest and most successful single fundraising campaign in the history of ORU.

The Board appreciates Dr. Wilson’s demonstrated commitment to hear feedback and receive input from all of ORU’s constituencies. For example, during this current academic year Dr. Wilson conducted a “Listening Tour” where he met with every department’s faculty, every staff team, all of the administration, and student groups to hear feedback and field any questions. Dr. Wilson also spent time in February as a “Resident President” when he lived in the dorm, attended classes, and participated in student activities in order to listen to, learn from and experience life as an ORU student.

In order to gather feedback from faculty and staff, ORU participated in a comprehensive, voluntary survey called “The Chronicle’s Great Colleges to Work For” in both 2014 and 2016. Based upon ORU employees’ high ratings in multiple categories submitted to the Chronicle the University is now recognized as a “Great College to Work For”.

Dr. Wilson’s initiatives in pursuit of our founder Oral Robert’s vision that commissions us “….to the uttermost bounds of the earth” have propelled ORU to a greater scope of diversity that includes 90 nations, all 50 states and every major ethnicity in America.

“Dr. Wilson and his team are accomplishing the high standards of excellence we as a board have set before them as part of our long term adaptive plan,” said Dr. Mike Rakes, Chair of the Board of Trustees. “We are pleased with the direction ORU is headed and know that Dr. Wilson is the right person to lead ORU. As Dr. Wilson enters his fifth year as President of ORU, the Board of Trustees is more excited than ever about building Holy Spirit-Empowered leaders to impact the world with God’s healing.”

This was posted on the Oral Roberts University Facebook page about one hour ago.  I would say the Board has spoken loud and clear regarding Dr. Wilson. 

While I think Billy has done a lot of good things for the university, there are PLENTY of alumni and staff that Billy has lost favor with. Sounds like the board is completely unaware of the friction he's creating. 

I'm sure they're aware. Raising $51 million can make your detractor's voices seem pretty small.

I've heard good and bad things about Billy Wilson's leadership style. Rutland had detractors too. Every strong leader will.

I'm wondering though if presidential term limits could be beneficial to ORU to ensure that things never return to how they were under the last half of Richard Roberts administration.

• Upvote 2

On 4/19/2017 at 5:56 PM, ORU GRAD said:

I 2nd that motion. If it were me, I would remove it.

We get anonymous letters and phone calls every once in awhile at the church. Sometimes I have an idea who sends them. I've told people, from the pulpit, that gutless people said anonymous letters. It's remarkable that I rarely see those people that I suspected, ever again--except when they want something.