Jarmichael Morgan requests release

ORUalum

And so it begins......:blink:

Sorry to hear this. Morgan would have provided a nice skill set to the team. Have to think that the loss of Coach Stricker hurt because his KC connections. Also have to wonder if any tampering took place. 

8-22 might not sound so bad....next year get ready for 5-25.....:tmi:

Yet another setback. It's highly unlikely but if we get a coach in place and retain Perry perhaps we can convince Morgan to recommit. If not I might need to go into Golden Eagle hibernation for a while. 

We may and probably will take more hits before this is over but in the end if we get the right staff in place, I think we will be fine in the long haul.  Hate to see Mr. Morgan go and wish him the best of luck.  Also wonder about the "tampering" aspect but we will never know, so move on.  As for next year, even with Sutton and company at the helm I did not think we would be more than 5-25.  Why, because if it was a repeat of this year and I think it would have been, we would be up at half time and then about the 10 minute mark of the 2nd half we would find a way to lose the game.  Love the 4 guard approach (please note the sarcasm).  I think we have talented kids on the roster that given the right staff will perform.  I also think it will take time for our program to dig out of the hole/undo the train wreck that we have been for the past 4 or more years.

On 11/16/2015 at 11:23 AM, Old Titan said:

The "VWBA" mentioned in the Twitter post and adorning the hat in the proud coach in the picture is the "Victor Williams Basketball Academy", a Kansas City-based summer league program headed by the former player of Eddie and Sean Sutton's at OSU. 

Roderick Pearson was another KC product of that program.  Good pipeline for ORU!

Morgan played in Victor William's VWBA (like Dez & RJ did). Have to think that after Sutton was removed Williams steered Morgan away from ORU.

release granted.  i thought they might ask him to wait until he could talk to the new coach. 

no more bad press needed -- probably right just to go ahead and give him his release and move on. 

Is it really "tampering" with a kid when the staff that recruited him just got unceremoniously dumped?

Though I doubt many schools do it, one of the first orders of business for the remaining staff (or the AD) should be contacting the Fall signees and saying the following:

1.  We want you to stay; please be patient while we name a new coach and give him a fair shake when it comes to "re-recruiting" you.

AND.... (and this is the sticky part)

2.  If you decide now, or after meeting with the new coach, that you want a release from your commitment, we will honor it (which in Morgan's case it appears ORU did - props to Mike Carter or whoever made that call).