ORU at Oklahoma St.

theeagleman5

The Good Guys head over to Stillwater tonight for a big game vs. OSU....The Pokes have been struggling of late at 20-15 and they lost 2 of 3 last weekend at Kansas so they won't be overlooking the Golden Eagles....ORU playing great ball all the past couple weeks at 26-9 and have won 7 in a row....we need this one since OSU is one of the higher RPI opponents left on the schedule.....expecting RH Logan Michaels to get the mid week start tonight....weather looks good with first pitch temps around 80.....GO BLUE!!!...:eagles:

It is time to even up the record with the Pokes. Keep the winning streak alive boys!!!

Yes...tough extra inning loss for the Golden Eagles....Those lead off walks will usually come back to haunt you....I think I read a major league stat a couple years ago that stated close to 80% of lead off walks end up scoring.....we sent our closer Stout out there for a 3rd inning of work....not sure about the wisdom of that but TheEagleman didn't see the game so I can't criticize....ORU now 26-10 and we head to Brookings for a weekend series with the Jacks.....:eagles:

GREAT game, but once again Allie P. Reynolds Stadium is proven to be a joke as a Division-1 baseball facility.  It plays more like a slow pitch softball field the way every ball in the air to the outfield gets blown out by the most modest of south winds.

Can you imagine what ORU's offensive stats would look like against Summit League pitching if Johnson Stadium was so configured (third base line running from south to north)?

And how does OSU ever convince decent pitchers to enroll there?  It's like being in the starting rotation for the Colorado Rockies.

Here's hoping that if and when OSU builds the new stadium they've had on their drawing board for decades, it either sits differently or has longer fences.

P.S.  Any thoughts on why RF chose not to steal with a runner on first and less than 2 outs in the 10th or 11th innings of a tie game?  Was the OSU catcher that much of a threat to throw anyone out?

This is the first time that OSU has beaten ORU over the last 3 years.  In case anyone thought that beating ORU isn't a big deal to OSU, take a look at the picture of their celebration after this win.

• Upvote 1

Yeah....well there is a rematch at JLJ in a couple weeks....ORU coaches should replay that celebration for the players prior to that game....thought Pokes just clinched an NCAA  Regional...:|

Yeah, that was pretty surprising. It was a midweek game that sounded like a regional from all the celebrating. I also laughed at the amount of chest thumping on the game winner, which basically looked like a fly ball hit over the outfield playing in (I'm guessing). 

I love seeing college kids celebrate wins.

As ORU fans, we should all be proud that a Power 5 program that played in the College World Series last year thinks enough of our program to celebrate a victory like that. 

I thought it was AWESOME (well, as awesome as losing to your in-state rivals in extra innings can be).

P.S.  Got a kick out of listening to Tom Holliday doing the color commentary on the Fox Sports Oklahoma cable broadcast.  He's not only the father of OSU coach Josh Holliday and MLB All-Star Matt Holliday, he was also the pitching coach on the those fantastic OSU teams of the early-to-mid '80's when the Cowboys, OU, ORU and Wichita State were all nationally-ranked.  He has so much respect for ORU's baseball history, and for what Ryan Folmar is doing now at ORU, that it was almost like having a former Golden Eagles coach in the booth.  He was particularly complimentary of catcher Matt Whatley - said he already has major league skills.

Oh yeah, I didn't mind it all, was just surprised by that intensity for a game against ORU. You may not see that kind of celebration for a walk-off Bedlam win. But I guess that's what happens after we have won 4-0 and 15-5 there the last 2 years.

They at least treat us with the respect of an in-state rival. Which is more than I can say of OU during the Sunny years.