2019 interest / offers

ORUalum

Spring Signing Day is April 17th; the signing period runs through May 15th.  Following that window, no one is legitimately in the fold until they actually enroll and attend classes in the fall (summer school, too?).

Based on the current roster and state of the program, this signing period is a critical 30 days for the program.  As I always like to say, THIS is the time of year when championships are actually won and lost, and when good mid-to-low-major coaching staffs make their bones on the diamond-in-the-rough prospects.

Max Abmas is ranked 71 out of the top 100 high school players in Texas.  If you compare that to DJ Weaver, who last year was ranked around the top 25-30 in Texas high school basketball.  Will Max see much playing time with Sam and RJ sharing the point guard position next season?  Maybe not but he could be a solid point guard by his second or third season.  

I think Abmas would have great potential to start at PG, if not immediately, then certainly at some point during the season.

If Abmas was a stud, then Kearns could definitely start at shooting guard and RJ would have a battle on his hands for the  starting PG role.

I love RJ but during his freshman year he had some weaknesses in his game partly due to his size.  I think he will provide solid minutes for the team next year, but a stud PG might pass up RJ on the depth chart.  It would provide an interesting battle in practice and the preseason as well and competition brings out the best in everyone.

dead fuck my life GIF

Lazenby?

I may be wrong but these small school players from western OK never work out (Kellen Manek/Corbin Byford).

22 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

dead fuck my life GIF

Lazenby?ORU GRAD

I may be wrong but these small school players from western OK never work out (Kellen Manek/Corbin Byford).

You got to be kidding. We have one Scholarship to give if Abmas comes and ????????????????????????????????????????  I give up because I do not understand this at all.

Doesn't sound like the plan of a guy that is going to walk on.....

“Going into this year, I could never quite work it out how much playing time I was wanting,” Lazenby said. “It just never worked out a whole lot. Coach and I decided together that it would probably be best for me to redshirt this year. At the beginning of the year, Coach Kruger and I sat down and talked and agreed it would be best for me to redshirt and grad transfer somewhere that way I can play my last year of eligibility playing as much as I want and the role that I want, as well.”

“I sure appreciate Coach Kruger, because like I told somebody, he could have just played Ty a few minutes here or there and Ty’s eligibility would have been done,” John Lazenby said. "Instead, he approached him and said they brought in two grad transfers and playing time is looking a little short this year, so have you thought about redshirting and doing the grad transfer thing? We hadn’t really thought about it, but we sat down and talked about it. Coach told Ty he thinks Ty can go to some mid-major and play 25-30 minutes a game.”

56 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

"...We hadn’t really thought about it, but we sat down and talked about it. Coach told Ty he thinks Ty can go to some mid-major and play 25-30 minutes a game.”

It's a nice thought and maybe he will come in and light it up BUT going from playing in one game to playing 25 minutes is quite a stretch. Obanor didn't play 25 per game last season...

• Upvote 2

Yes, the math on this one is a little hard to figure out.  I too hope that Lazenby can come in and light it up, but his current resume is not overly impressive.  Yes he is coming from the Sooners but it is not like he has seen the floor much in his time at OU.  I also hope we find a 6'10" transfer to come in to replace Smith in the Post.

Is this guy on the ORU radar?  This tweet was "liked" by an ORU assistant coach...

Considering ORU's misfortune with Booker T. products of late, it would be interesting to see if he (or RJ) could become the first Hornet to ever finish a full career at ORU.

Can’t ‘sign’ until the 17th....  can announce his verbal commitment. 

Denver is the only other school listed as recruiting him. 

1 hour ago, ORUTerry said:

Can’t ‘sign’ until the 17th....  can announce his verbal commitment. 

Denver is the only other school listed as recruiting him. 

...unless he's signing with a juco or an NAIA school?

The "like" from the ORU coach may have just been a nod to former ORU assistant Conley Phipps, head coach of the state champion Hornets.  Conley's son Trey (Conley Phipps III) was a junior point guard this season and has already committed to TU; his running mate Bryce Thompson (son of former TU star Rod Thompson) is being heavily recruited by blueblood programs all over the country for 2020.

Lots of horses on that BTW squad; there might just be a Ken Tutt-like story hidden amongst all that talent (Ken famously went virtually unrecruited while buried on a star-studded team his senior year of high school in Texas).

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

The "like" from the ORU coach may have just been a nod to former ORU assistant Conley Phipps, head coach of the state champion Hornets.

This was my initial thought.