2019 interest / offers

ORUalum

According to Verbal Commits, we offered Trevon Reddish (6'4" - SG from McDonough, GA) and Isaac McBride (6'1" - PG from Little Rock) on July 22nd. Both attend Christian high schools.

I count at least 10 offers outstanding for the class of 2019.

Story about Max Abams from the Jesuit Dallas web site:  

Abmas, Hatzmann Capture Major Awards, Five Rangers Earn All-District

Two member of the 2017-18 Jesuit Dallas basketball squad earned major awards to headline the University Interscholastic League (UIL) All-District 9-6A team, announced after a vote by the district coaches on March 5. Senior Reid Hatzmann earned District Defensive Player of the Year plaudits, while junior Max Abmas was named the Co-Offensive Player of the year.

Abmas was the Rangers' leading scorer with 16.1 points per game, adding 565 points to his career scoring column while ended the year shooting a 46.3 clip. Burying a team-leading 106 three-pointers for a 43.4 three-point shooting percentage, Abmas was the team's top free-throw shooter with a 84.5 success rate and 93 converted attempts from the charity stripe.

Link:    http://jesuitrangers.org/news/2018/3/26/basketball-abmas-hatzmann-capture-major-awards-five-rangers-earn-all-district.aspx

I'm sure we have discussed this before, but how do these offers work?  Are they conditional that the kid won't accept it right away and wait and see what happens in the fall?  According to VC, ORU has 8 offers pending to PG's.  I assume they would want to sign 1 or 2 at most. 

I'm sure they are ranked by priority of which ones the coach most wants and it's not first come first serve.  Can a kid immediately say upon an offer, "I accept" and the coach has to honor it?  Or are not all offers created equal --- here's an offer and you can  commit right away, or here's an offer and you can commit in the fall, or here is an offer but we need to see how are roster shakes out in the spring and who leaves?

I assume that most of these offers are conditional in some way, if only because the number of offers exceeds open roster spots.

Do we even have any remaining spots for next season?

• Upvote 1

Preston Urbancic stats:

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/preston-urbancic/NhfMi4fREeW-8KA2nzwbTA/gendersport/basketball-stats.htm

From his last name he is apparently Slavic.

Last year he averaged 19.9 point per game; shot 52% (69/133) from the 3-point line and 67% (123/183) from 2-point. Pretty efficient.

He recently played in the Sunflower Showcase in Kansas City for "Team Speights". The squad went 1-4... losing the four games by 4,4,3 and 9 points. Their one win (last game) was by 29 points. I could find reference to Preston for three of the games where he scored 27, 27 and 25 points. Looks like he got on the radar as a result of his shooting.

• 2 weeks later...

Per Verbal Commits:   JUCO PF Isaiah Jones (6-8, 240, 2★) has received an offer from Oral Roberts.

Link:    https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/isaiah-jones-az

He is a juco (Conners State) from Phoenix that signed/played (2017-18) with Biola University previously... Played for Shadow Mountain High School (coached by MIke Bibby), which appears to be a basketball factory. Graduated in 2016.

From Biola web site:   https://athletics.biola.edu/roster.aspx?rp_id=2896 

Germany would be a nice pick up. Seems to have interest from several Power 5 schools....