Scott Sutton Released

WeirdAlORU

I believe Billy Wilson is definitely a man of integrity, so if he says that Scott Sutton was informed that he was fired before the players were told, then I trust him.  I can't imagine he would say that if it was not true.  Maybe there is some gray area in there, such as, Scott knew this was most likely going to happen, but he did not feel like he was officially told before the players were told.

• Upvote 1

Hard to defend Billy on this one. There should be no gray area when it comes to letting go of your coach of the last 18 years. We all know this pink slip came straight from the president's desk and it could not have come at a worse time, or in a worse way.

Billy has slowly been losing alumni (and student) support over the last couple years, and this will be a major blow to the confidence and trust placed in his ability to lead the university.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, WingMaaaan said:

The media's ease by which they are editorializing this firing is surprising.  

Is it?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

this is why nepotism rules/laws exist. 

family complicates things. (see the current White House turmoil for example)

Well, this is all very interesting reading as more details become available....the best way to take some of the sting out of the debacle would be to make a splash with the next coach.....here's a name that I thought of, that in my opinion would be a splash....Mark Gottfried....let go by NC State and played one season at ORU in early 80's.....anyone have a thought?

I find it very hard to believe that anyone would ask Scott to fire his brother.  There is no way he would ever do that, so why would you possibly ask?  It is possible that some of the things Scott's supporters are saying might not be fully accurate.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, EagleManiac said:

Hard to defend Billy on this one. There should be no gray area when it comes to letting go of your coach of the last 18 years. We all know this pink slip came straight from the president's desk and it could not have come at a worse time, or in a worse way.

Billy has slowly been losing alumni (and student) support over the last couple years, and this will be a major blow to the confidence and trust placed in his ability to lead the university.

Well said, Eagle Maniac.  This is a dark day for the ORU faithful.  IF this happened they way it appears, it was a move right out of the RR playbook . . .

Miles and miles of trust broken today.

42 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

this is why nepotism rules/laws exist. 

family complicates things. (see the current White House turmoil for example)

Hiring somebody you can never fire is never a good policy.

• Upvote 2

We have multiple players with tattoos... J. Harris has sleeves.

• Upvote 2

If Scott was asked to relieve his brother and didn't (couldn't), I guess that would explain his dismissal. It makes you wonder why Sean would not step down to save his brother's job. Head scratcher....

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

We have multiple players with tattoos... J. Harris has sleeves.

I'm not buying it either. Just searched the student handbook and found no mention of tattoos. The faculty/ adminstration handbook says that their tattoos must be covered. 

Just now, WingMaaaan said:

Just searched the student handbook and found no mention of tattoos. The faculty/ adminstration handbook says that their tattoos must be covered. 

So is this a new "policy" cause it wasn't in place when J. Harris was recruited last season. Or is Gottlieb the source of this?

My goodness. What in the world is a "faith exam"..? This kind of stuff is perfect material for the "ORU is a cult" conversations we've all had to have with friends/coworkers. In no way is this a good representation of our university. 

I am embarrassed for ORU. This thing just keeps getting worse and worse. 

• Upvote 1

I know I always get my most trusted info from a thief like Gottlieb.

I can say with about 99% certainty that at one point, athletes were forced to cover their tattoos (remember the month when Adam Glenville wore those awful short sleeve shirts under his jersey?). I think the rule was shut down by the board, but Billy at least attempted it for a period of time.