Scott Sutton Released

WeirdAlORU

Some questions / opinions:

• How do we know Sutton was fired? Sutton had 2 more years left on his contract. Would ORU pay that off? I doubt it.
  • Sutton deserved to be removed. It's only the timing that's a problem. How can you possibly find a replacement at this late date?

I've seen a few people mention these restrictions. The assumption being that since Billy became President new restrictions have been placed on students ORU can recruit. Does anyone know any details about this? 

Terrible mistake.

Get out in front of the story, or else it buries you.

The national and local media spent all of five minutes talking about "why" Scott was fired, and the story ever since (and will forever be) has been "how" it was done.  The tail is wagging the dog, and it's a big, nasty tail.

AMATEUR HOUR AT 81ST & LEWIS - in terms of public relations and community relations, some things never change. #smh

Don't believe everything you read....

Sutton is a good man and did a lot of good for the ORU basketball program. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, WingMaaaan said:

I've seen a few people mention these restrictions. The assumption being that since Billy became President new restrictions have been placed on students ORU can recruit. Does anyone know any details about this? 

I find it really hard to believe that ORU is more restrictive now than in the past (Richard Roberts era).

Lots of OSU Cowboys weighing in on ORU sports when they probably couldn't tell you the first thing except a Sutton was head coach.

• Upvote 2

All of this is definitely not going to make the next head coach's job any easier.  It is possible that the ORU PR department might not have been consulted due to the sensitive nature of the situation.  Obviously the way this was handled appears to have been a huge mistake.  There also might be some inaccurate information out there as well.  Scott Sutton loyalists could simply be piling on with inaccurate information.

For instance, if Scott was told that he would have to get rid of Sean and he wasn't willing to do it, then it sounds like Scott probably did know he was going to be fired.

• Upvote 2

I wonder if we are going to lose Mike Carter as well.

A very sad day, not only for the basketball program, but for the University as well.

10 minutes ago, WingMaaaan said:

Heard that coaches were told to require all tattoos to be covered. That was quickly overturned by the board. Doubt that had anything to do with recruiting as it lasted about a month.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, WingMaaaan said:

Well...

A lot of local media has no idea what they are talking about.

ORU's athletic dept exists to help promote ORU not OSU.

The media's ease by which they are editorializing this firing is surprising. Journalist after journalist is taking personal shots at the university and while I agree this was an amateur move by Billy, it's starting to feel like they just finally have an excuse to publicly hate on ORU. 

Upon reflection, it appears you might be able to believe most of what you are reading...

It's not ORU's finest moment. 

30 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

Heard that coaches were told to require all tattoos to be covered. That was quickly overturned by the board. Doubt that had anything to do with recruiting as it lasted about a month.

That makes sense and also explains how those two-and-three-people removed from the university might think here's actually a tattoo restriction. 

Wilson trying to do damage control.

ORU sucks at PR.......you don't let a guy go after 18 years like this.  get your ducks in row and do it properly.

Scott Sutton deserved to be let go, but not like this if the reports are true.

• Upvote 1

Some thoughts about this situation:

1.  To be perfectly honest, I do not think this would have happened in this way under Mark Rutland.  I like Billy Wilson, and supposedly he was not even pursuing the President's job when it was offered to him.  I believe he is doing his best.  He recently went and lived in EMR for a couple days in order to be more in touch with the student body.  But this was a huge mistake to mishandle this firing and he certainly had to be involved in that process.

2.  Unfortunately this will affect some of ORU's goodwill in the community.  That goodwill has been built up over many years and certainly some of that will be lost.  

3.  Haters are going to hate and this provides them with an opportunity to pile on.

4.  This is pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if Mike Carter was possibly not totally in agreement with the firing decision and was perhaps trying to persuade the administration to take a different approach, but the administration did not let him know that the final decision had been made, therefore he was not able to tell Scott Sutton before it happened.  

5. Mike has worked hard in fundraising to gain support from outside of the traditional ORU circles, and this could possibly (hopefully not) affect our ability to fundraise for the athletic department in the future.

6.  Hopefully the athletic department/university has a press conference tomorrow to address this situation and put a more positive spin on it, if that is possible.