Scott Sutton Released

WeirdAlORU

1 hour ago, EagleManiac said:

This article is written by Berry Trammel, not Scott. Scott never mentioned his players, or the "rule" here except to say that he was proud of his teams and cherished the memories. He served ORU with class for 22 years, and, for the most part, has continued to be positive about his experience at ORU. 

To insinuate that he is not a stand up guy is baseless, and is in direct opposition of countless posts on this board.

Sutton isn't writing the article but it's not a good look.

The first player Mills signed (Conley) has tattoos so the whole "I wasn't able to recruit players I wanted" isn't a viable excuse. Sutton may change but I very much doubt he will be a head coach in D1 again,

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Sutton isn't writing the article but it's not a good look.

The first player Mills signed (Conley) has tattoos so the whole "I wasn't able to recruit players I wanted" isn't a viable excuse. Sutton may change but I very much doubt he will be a head coach in D1 again,

I understand Scott has been putting his narrative out there, and he should be. He didn't get a press conference to relay his events like Billy did. My only point was that in this article, Scott says nothing but good things about his experience at ORU. There's no need to say anything negative about the guy. 

TheEagleman thinks its a good idea for Scott to travel around next fall and watch some other coaches conduct practice....ORU was doing the same thing over and over and game plans and strategy had grown stale....Coach Sutton needs new ideas and a fresh approach. He will have to go to D-II or D-III to be a head coach....But ya never know.... TheEagleman will always root for Scott wherever he goes....a fine man and a class act....:clap:

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

. He will have to go to D-II or D-III to be a head coach...

4 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Sutton may change but I very much doubt he will be a head coach in D1 again,

I totally disagree.  I believe the Sutton name and connections will give Scott an opportunity to coach in D1 again, very possibly in 2018.

Anything is possible.....but last years 8-22 doesnt look good on a resume. Scott deserves another chance and the change will be positive for him  as well. He is a good man...:|

9 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

I totally disagree.  I believe the Sutton name and connections will give Scott an opportunity to coach in D1 again, very possibly in 2018.

This is correct.

He will have D-1 head coaching offers, this next off season.

Would be interesting if he goes to a mid major in the Midwest and plays ORU....probably wouldn't happen in the near future but it might be fun.....;-)

4 hours ago, oruvoice said:

He will have D-1 head coaching offers, this next off season.

D1 offers next off season???   I'd take that bet. 

It's a bet I would not mind if I lost though.  I just don't see it happening. 

I think he is going to have to go the assistant route for a winning program to get another D1 opportunity.  Barry Hinson had decent success at Missouri St before getting fired and never bottomed out like Sutton did with ORU and he had to go the assistant route. 

19 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

D1 offers next off season???   I'd take that bet. 

It's a bet I would not mind if I lost though.  I just don't see it happening. 

I think he is going to have to go the assistant route for a winning program to get another D1 opportunity.  Barry Hinson had decent success at Missouri St before getting fired and never bottomed out like Sutton did with ORU and he had to go the assistant route. 

I could see Sutton getting the Hinson gig at KU but I don't see him getting a D1 HC job by next offseason. 

18 minutes ago, WingMaaaan said:

I could see Sutton getting the Hinson gig at KU but I don't see him getting a D1 HC job by next offseason. 

call me crazy, but somehow i don't see Sutton putting together goody baskets for Bill Self's hotel room and being the butt of jokes to the coaching staff.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=4797029

Hinson calls himself the human piñata. And he's right. Everyone takes a whack at him.

A former head coach at Oral Roberts and Missouri State, Hinson was hired two years ago by Self, his old college buddy, to handle the team's travel.

Like a movie star who requests a specific stock for his dressing rooms, Self also has a goody basket waiting in his room, all prearranged by request from Hinson.

"I know what he wants -- junk food and extra cheese," Hinson said. "He's the only man I know who will go to a barbecue joint and ask for cheese for his sandwich. It's embarrassing."

"I don't eat any of that stuff," Self says. "I don't know why he gets it for me."

• 2 weeks later...

And you think ORU handled it badly? Its not just us... Ohio State cans Thad Matta 90 days after the season with a career record of 337-123 in 13 years.... Scott Sutton to Columbus???.....;-):-D;-)

Yeah - I can't wait for the Tulsa Sports Talk hacks to rant to their audience that Ohio State doesn't belong in Division 1 because they obviously don't know how to run an athletic program if they fire a coach this late in the year.  Wishful thinking...

• Upvote 3

BTW, according to the Columbus Dispatch, Matta's contract with Ohio State would have run through 2019/20.  They will pay his remaining contract amounting to $9,000,000.  In addition thereto, they paid him a $625,000 bonus in April of this year, even though the Buckeyes did not make the post season.  Heck of a job managing their athletics programs by AD Gene Smith.

• Upvote 1