Forecasting The Next ORU Men's Basketball Coach

Old Titan

Yeah...because of that buyout and the seeming lack of concern for athletics from Mr. Snake Wilson....our next coach might only be getting $500 per week plus mileage.....:|

Do we know for a fact we have to pay Scott anything?  Secondly, for as long as Scott was with the program some coaches would be given what is called an "ever green" contract which means the thing automatically renews itself at the end of each season unless either party wants out.  As for salary increases there is often provided a "reopener" clause to permit a salary/bonus increase by the parties.  Also, because the contract rolls on year to year, there is language which provides for grounds for either party to terminate the agreement if both sides cannot voluntarily agree to do that, such as consistently bad performance by the coach in terms of wins/loses.  I do state that I have no idea what is in the contract, but in the industry it is not uncommon to have a contract which contains what I outlined above if you are talking about a coach who has been around that long.

After Denver and Scott's $465K, the next highest HC salary in the Summit is $300K or $165K less than what we pay.  And from there the gap in pay really increases.

It's assumed to be known that he had two years left on his contract, which would indicate he has a normal contract and not what you are mentioning. The problem is that it's a private university so the contract doesn't have to be released, so no one truly knows what was in his contract. But I think it's safe to assume there's going to be a hefty buyout. It doesn't sound like Scott did anything that gave ORU a right to get out of the contract. Guess we'll find out. Either way, I'd bet my car that the next coach won't be making close to the kind of money Scott was making.

A couple of things on here. First they will have to pay out the last 2 yrs on the contract. Lump sum up front. No breaks on that end.

2nd part : ORU is not paying anyone near what Scott was making. Looking mostly at D2 guys or young guys that will take somewhere around $200,000 per year. It will be a tough rebuild and I would take a chance on a young guy that will put in the work.

If in fact we have to pay Scott $930k upfront, who is to say that money has not already been provided by outside contributions?  That does happen and could be a reason Pres. Wilson waited til now to pull the trigger.

Okay, beside the obvious candidate of Rod Perry - who else do we think is in the mix? From the press conference it appears that the candidate mix might be bigger than I suspected. I do know that we are not paying the next coach anywhere close to what Scott is currently making. Will this deter candidates? There are a very limited amount of D-1 basketball coaching jobs and a lot of people who want them. Evidently the timeframe will be quick - by the end of the month.

Some names to consider:

• Kyan Brown
  • Chad Wilkerson
  • Tom Hankins
  • Chris Crutchfield
  • Corey Williams

Fran Fruchilla???.....but he would want more than $250-300K....:oru-logo:

TheEagleman would contact Mark Gottfried and pay him whatever he wants....we need a big time guy....and sorry but don't tell me that Mart Green and friends wouldn't chip in....chump change for Mr. Hobby Lobby....;-)

I agree Eagleman, Gottfried would be a nice get with the ORU ties...I think he'd come for very little money to start, but would end up getting paid big time if he wins 

2017 Coaching Vacancies:

Alambama A&M

Coppin State

Florida A&M

Grambling St.

New Mexico St.

San Diego St.

I certainly have no inside knowledge, but my money is on Rod Perry.  He's been a head coach, already has a relationship with the players (and probably most of the recruits) and.......he's affordable.  With the money we have to work with on this position, our options are limited to the up-and-comers.  If the next coach is successful, he won't be here more than 2-4 years. If the next coach isn't successful, he won't be here more than 2-4 years. :)

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Bogus Smith said:

I certainly have no inside knowledge, but my money is on Rod Perry.  He's been a head coach, already has a relationship with the players (and probably most of the recruits) and.......he's affordable.  With the money we have to work with on this position, our options are limited to the up-and-comers.  If the next coach is successful, he won't be here more than 2-4 years. If the next coach isn't successful, he won't be here more than 2-4 years. :)

100% agree.

But, I hope we give the search a full effort. I'd be happy with Rodney, but also have an affinity for Chris Crutchfield.

I would also love to see Tom Hankins, but I think with the family situation, he may recuse himself.

• Upvote 1

TheEagleman has to concur.....we won't spend a lot of $$$....so it's going to be Perry or possibly one of the prior ORU assistants mentioned....If Perry is popular with the lads...then it just makes sense....:eagles:

1 minute ago, oruvoice said:

100% agree.

But, I hope we give the search a full effort. I'd be happy with Rodney, but also have an affinity for Chris Crutchfield.

I would also love to see Tom Hankins, but I think with the family situation, he may recuse himself.

Crutch would be a great "get", but I have to believe that Crutch is making more than what we are paying.  He would be hard pressed to go from ORU to another P5 head coaching job if that is his ultimate career objective, so there would be another interim HC position to extend his quest.  However, I wouldn't be surprised if Crutch is in the mix.

Agree that Tom Hankins would have been elevated if he was still here, but I wouldn't want to succeed my brother-in-law under these conditions.  It's a no-win situation on many fronts (although I am sure Scott would encourage anything that would further Tom's career).

The process should run its course, but hopefully analysis paralysis will not take its hold to delay a good hire and damage the recruiting process further, although this recruiting season is probably gone for us - thus setting us back a couple of seasons.