What Should The MVC Do If/When Wichita State Leaves?

Old Titan

Here is some food for thought, and no I did not just hit the communion wine too heavy.  What is the possibility of the Summit picking off a couple of the better Valley schools?  Maybe try MSU and Illinois State?  I know that someone is about to mention the proverbial snowball and Hades, but I thought I would throw it out there.

15 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

Here is some food for thought, and no I did not just hit the communion wine too heavy.  What is the possibility of the Summit picking off a couple of the better Valley schools?  Maybe try MSU and Illinois State?  I know that someone is about to mention the proverbial snowball and Hades, but I thought I would throw it out there.

I don't think there is a very good chance of that happening. MVC schools probably don't realize how devalued their conference is with the loss of Creighton and Wichita.

BUT what if the Horizon or OVC have to replace one of their schools (Murray St., Belmont, Valpo, Oakland) and choose to add IPFW or IUPUI?

The Summit would have to dangle a better TV contract than the current Midco deal.

All about dat action, boss... 8)

Ok, same question about both the Horizon and/or OVC?  Or any other conference?  Who would we go after?

Ok, same question about both the Horizon and/or OVC?  Or any other conference?  Who would we go after?

SOMEONE WITH LIGHTS ON THEIR FRICKING BASEBALL FIELD. #smh

(All kidding aside, UMKC is the obvious one to go after.  They would have a natural rivalry with Omaha, and it's a natural go-to site for a variety of potential athletic events.  Never quite understood why they left in the first place...)

• 3 weeks later...

Omaha seems to be getting interest from the MVC. No matter what team(s) the MVC choose to add the Summit will need to look for replacements.

Shrinking Missouri Valley Conference to evaluate Nebraska-Omaha during visit

Missouri Valley Conference officials will be on the campus of the University of Nebraska-Omaha on Wednesday in an ongoing basketball search to replace Wichita State, a source told CBS Sports.

The Valley already is reportedly interested in Murray State of the Ohio Valley and Valparaiso of the Horizon League. The Valley -- now down to nine schools in basketball -- could be looking to add one or three teams after the loss of Wichita State earlier this month.

That would boost Valley membership to 10 or 12 teams.

Wichita State accepted in invitation to join the American Athletic Conference on April 7. The Shockers had been in the Valley since 1945.

The Valley's visit to UNO was characterized as a site inspection. Nebraska-Omaha became a full-time Division I member in 2012-13, joining the Summit League. The Mavericks have finished no higher than third in the Summit.

Admitting Nebraska-Omaha to the Valley would bring the Omaha market back to the conference. The Missouri Valley lost Creighton to the Big East in 2013-14.

UNO athletic director Trev Alberts and Missouri Valley commissioner Doug Elgin did not immediately return texts seeking comment.

Not a great move by the MVC in my opinion, but hey, my opinion and $1.50 will get you a coffee at Denny's.  I also do not see Murray State as a great move for the MVC.  I think given time the Summit will pass up the MVC.  Actually, with Wichita State gone I don't think there is much separation if any now between the MVC and the Summit.  If UNO goes, who do we get into the Summit?  Perhaps look to raid the Horizon, OVC or another league/conference? 

With all the changes to mid major conferences over the last few years, I think the OVC / Summit / MVC / Horizon should explore a cross-conference tournament. Would help build up some fan enthusiasm and pride. 

• Upvote 1

I did not realize that Omaha and Tulsa have nearly the exact same population.  Both cities' populations are around 400,000 and both metro areas are well over 900,000.  As a result, with the familiarity of the Omaha area with the MVC, I can see why they would pursue Omaha.

I hope Omaha sticks around.  I suspect they would over time regret leaving the Summit League.  Also, the next time the MVC negotiates their TV contract, they aren't going to have near as much to offer as they did when they had Creighton and Wichita State.

If the MVC adds Omaha and Valpo the Summit could be looking for two replacements.

I would think one of the eastern Summit schools (IUPUI & Fort Wayne) would be picked up by the Horizon.

I think it is significant that UND will be joining the Summit League next year.  I believe having all four Dakota schools in one conference, along with the advantage of having the conference tournament in South Dakota, will keep all four Dakota schools as strong Summit League members for many years to come.  It is possible that Omaha is not chosen to join the MVC.  Honestly, having the basketball tournament in Sioux Falls is fairly convenient for Omaha as well from a travel standpoint.  It is much closer than Saint Louis.  In fact, even if Omaha were to join the MVC, they might find out after a couple years that it isn't what they thought it was, just like we did with the Southland.

If Omaha does leave, I suspect the Summit League would have a conversation with UMKC, even though they haven't done much at this point to improve their athletic programs.

25 minutes ago, WingMaaaan said:

With all the changes to mid major conferences over the last few years, I think the OVC / Summit / MVC / Horizon should explore a cross-conference tournament. Would help build up some fan enthusiasm and pride. 

The Summit should definitely look into creating a challenge (e.g. Big 12 vs ACC, MWC vs MVC) with one of these conferences. It could solve some of the scheduling problems.

1 minute ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

The Summit should definitely look into creating a challenge (e.g. Big 12 vs ACC, MWC vs MVC) with one of these conferences. It could solve some of the scheduling problems.

Would be a great way to get quality mid-major games on the schedule. But can you convince league AD's to play for free rather than play a high major program for $100K+? 

7 hours ago, EagleManiac said:

Would be a great way to get quality mid-major games on the schedule. But can you convince league AD's to play for free rather than play a high major program for $100K+? 

You couldn't give up ALL of the high major pay-in games, but a "challenge" like this also gets you the likelihood of a decent home game to attract attendance, so its a desirable situation.

Exactly, TrueBlue.....would Mabee Center fans rather see ORU play Valpo or John Brown?....:geek: