Sign in to follow this  
Old Titan

What Should The MVC Do If/When Wichita State Leaves?

ORU82

Yes EagleManiac, it is troubling.  Our budget is double what the others are spending with the exception of Denver, and our program is headed in the wrong direction.  If that trend is not reversed this year, wholesale changes will need to be made.

WingMaaaan

That guy is a moron and a homer for NDSU and the rest of the Dakota schools. 

It has one of the best mid-major basketball conference tournaments around at the Denny Sanford Premier Center in Sioux Falls, S.D., and the caliber of overall play has taken a noticeable leap in recent years.

How else do you explain Oral Roberts finishing last?

ORU finishing last has more to do with the program collapsing on itself than the overall caliber of league play leaping us. Our NCAA tournament teams from 06-08 would have faired very well in the league today. In fact you're telling me that a George Hill IUPUI team wouldn't haven taken SDSU to task this year? GET OUTTA HERE. 

I will admit that top to bottom the league is more competitive but clearly his myopic explanation for why we finished last rubbed me the wrong way. I'M GOING TO SLEEP. 

ORUTerry

Totally agree. Our Caleb Green, Ken Tutt, Larry Owens, Shawn King, Jonathan Bluitt, etc. teams would have dominated the league. 

We need players like we used to have. 

theeagleman5

It's time to take back the Summit....MAKE ORU GREAT AGAIN!!!.....Changes have to be made.....no more four guard line ups...we all know the definition of insanity...|(

• Upvote 1

Old Titan

And now, it's The Valley's move...get yer popcorn.

George-Costanza-Eating-Popcorn.gif

ORUJason

I think that writer has been reading our message board.  Maybe the Valley might choose not to add anyone.  Maybe the baseball coaches from the other Valley schools will be glad to see WSU leave so they have a better shot at earning the auto bid to an NCAA regional.

ORU82

FYI, just came across this article about possible replacements for Wichita State in the MVC.  If true and even if the MVC lands both of these schools, the Summit is now as good as the MVC.  Kind of shocked the MVC would go for Valpo and/or Murray State, but that is their call, not mine.  Here is the link:  www.fanragsports.com/news/mvc-targeting

ORUTerry

I would be shocked if either of those schools considered a move to the MVC. They are in established leagues (Horizon and OVC) with relatively long histories. Valpo has a good basketball history but below average facilities and are very weak in other sports.

I read somewhere that Murray State would have to pay a $750,000 exit fee and wait two years (and forfeit conference money during that period).

ORUJason

What bothers me is that if Wichita State had received a 3, 4, 5, or even 6-seed in this year's tournament (much closer to the type of seed they deserved) instead of a 10-seed and being considered a bubble team if they didn't win the MVC this year, this move might not have happened.  Wichita State clearly deserved a much better seed and basically the NCAA Selection Committee just damaged a storied conference with a rich history by putting WSU in this position.

The bias against preferable seeding for very good teams in mid major conferences is somewhere between aggravating and inexcusable.

Dr. Cornelius

I think even worse than underseeding was the fact that numerous "bracketologists" (most notably Jerry Palm of CBS) ran with the narrative that Wichita wouldn't get in unless they won the MVC tournament.

Old Titan

Interesting article about the top candidates to replace Wichita State in The Valley.

Having been through this process ourselves when Creighton left and was replaced by Loyola of Chicago, we all know just how important large metropolitan areas are to The Valley presidents, who will ultimately have the final say in the matter.

Which is why someone squirrelly like UMKC or Omaha may actually have a better chance than people realize of being added, perhaps along with the likes of strong-but-more-remote programs like Valpo and/or Murray State.

ORU82

Here is some food for thought, and no I did not just hit the communion wine too heavy.  What is the possibility of the Summit picking off a couple of the better Valley schools?  Maybe try MSU and Illinois State?  I know that someone is about to mention the proverbial snowball and Hades, but I thought I would throw it out there.

Dr. Cornelius
15 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

Here is some food for thought, and no I did not just hit the communion wine too heavy.  What is the possibility of the Summit picking off a couple of the better Valley schools?  Maybe try MSU and Illinois State?  I know that someone is about to mention the proverbial snowball and Hades, but I thought I would throw it out there.

I don't think there is a very good chance of that happening. MVC schools probably don't realize how devalued their conference is with the loss of Creighton and Wichita.

BUT what if the Horizon or OVC have to replace one of their schools (Murray St., Belmont, Valpo, Oakland) and choose to add IPFW or IUPUI?

Old Titan

The Summit would have to dangle a better TV contract than the current Midco deal.

All about dat action, boss... 8)

ORU82

Ok, same question about both the Horizon and/or OVC?  Or any other conference?  Who would we go after?

Old Titan

Ok, same question about both the Horizon and/or OVC?  Or any other conference?  Who would we go after?

SOMEONE WITH LIGHTS ON THEIR FRICKING BASEBALL FIELD. #smh

(All kidding aside, UMKC is the obvious one to go after.  They would have a natural rivalry with Omaha, and it's a natural go-to site for a variety of potential athletic events.  Never quite understood why they left in the first place...)

Dr. Cornelius

Omaha seems to be getting interest from the MVC. No matter what team(s) the MVC choose to add the Summit will need to look for replacements.

ORUTerry

Who are candidates for expansion?  

UMKC?

ORUalum

Shrinking Missouri Valley Conference to evaluate Nebraska-Omaha during visit

Missouri Valley Conference officials will be on the campus of the University of Nebraska-Omaha on Wednesday in an ongoing basketball search to replace Wichita State, a source told CBS Sports.

The Valley already is reportedly interested in Murray State of the Ohio Valley and Valparaiso of the Horizon League. The Valley -- now down to nine schools in basketball -- could be looking to add one or three teams after the loss of Wichita State earlier this month.

That would boost Valley membership to 10 or 12 teams.

Wichita State accepted in invitation to join the American Athletic Conference on April 7. The Shockers had been in the Valley since 1945.

The Valley's visit to UNO was characterized as a site inspection. Nebraska-Omaha became a full-time Division I member in 2012-13, joining the Summit League. The Mavericks have finished no higher than third in the Summit.

Admitting Nebraska-Omaha to the Valley would bring the Omaha market back to the conference. The Missouri Valley lost Creighton to the Big East in 2013-14.

UNO athletic director Trev Alberts and Missouri Valley commissioner Doug Elgin did not immediately return texts seeking comment.

ORU82

Not a great move by the MVC in my opinion, but hey, my opinion and $1.50 will get you a coffee at Denny's.  I also do not see Murray State as a great move for the MVC.  I think given time the Summit will pass up the MVC.  Actually, with Wichita State gone I don't think there is much separation if any now between the MVC and the Summit.  If UNO goes, who do we get into the Summit?  Perhaps look to raid the Horizon, OVC or another league/conference? 

WingMaaaan

With all the changes to mid major conferences over the last few years, I think the OVC / Summit / MVC / Horizon should explore a cross-conference tournament. Would help build up some fan enthusiasm and pride. 

• Upvote 1

ORUJason

I did not realize that Omaha and Tulsa have nearly the exact same population.  Both cities' populations are around 400,000 and both metro areas are well over 900,000.  As a result, with the familiarity of the Omaha area with the MVC, I can see why they would pursue Omaha.

I hope Omaha sticks around.  I suspect they would over time regret leaving the Summit League.  Also, the next time the MVC negotiates their TV contract, they aren't going to have near as much to offer as they did when they had Creighton and Wichita State.

Dr. Cornelius

If the MVC adds Omaha and Valpo the Summit could be looking for two replacements.

I would think one of the eastern Summit schools (IUPUI & Fort Wayne) would be picked up by the Horizon.

ORUJason

I think it is significant that UND will be joining the Summit League next year.  I believe having all four Dakota schools in one conference, along with the advantage of having the conference tournament in South Dakota, will keep all four Dakota schools as strong Summit League members for many years to come.  It is possible that Omaha is not chosen to join the MVC.  Honestly, having the basketball tournament in Sioux Falls is fairly convenient for Omaha as well from a travel standpoint.  It is much closer than Saint Louis.  In fact, even if Omaha were to join the MVC, they might find out after a couple years that it isn't what they thought it was, just like we did with the Southland.

If Omaha does leave, I suspect the Summit League would have a conversation with UMKC, even though they haven't done much at this point to improve their athletic programs.

ORU82

How about approaching Oakland for a move back to the Summit or maybe UALR?