What Should The MVC Do If/When Wichita State Leaves?

Old Titan

I have a soft spot for folks who don't settle for the safe route all the time. Big thanks to Doug for the love but unfortunately this university isn't the "maker no little plans" school it used to be. 

Edit: 

I realize it isn't that simple.  While I do believe there are far too many settlers in positions of power at the university, mostly I'm just frustrated. 

While I doubt it would be offered or accepted, ORU would make a lot of sense from a geographic standpoint.  Great travel partner for Missouri State, which without Wichita State or ORU would be out on its own island...

Much appreciation to Gottlieb for throwing our name out there, but I'd have no interest in going to the Valley. With this move, they are a floundering league, and unfortunately by adding us would become even worse. Assuming Wichita goes, the Summit will pass them in top-to-bottom quality in the next few years, if not next season. 

I did a little research on where we stand regarding our Men's Basketball Budget as compared to both the MVC and the Summit.  It makes for an interesting read. 

This is where we would be if we were in the MVC in the 2015-16 basketball season, the first figure establishes where the school ranks MBB budget wise in the MVC, the second figure establishes the respective school's MBB budget, and the third figure establishes where that school's MBB budget ranks in D-I basketball in the nation: 

1. Wichita State - $6,920,933 - 56
  2. Bradley - $3,128,419 - 121
  3. UNI - $2,899,699 - 132
  4. Evansville - $2,899,667 - 133
  5. Loyola - $2,745,553 - 139
  6. ORU - $2,741,483 - 140
  7. Drake - $2,472,212 - 153
  8. Illinois State - $2,452,961 - 156
  9. Missouri State - $2,279,917 - 171
  10. SIU - $2,241,413 - 175
  11. Indiana State - $1,832,975 - 208.

If you remove Wichita State from the equation, the separation between Bradley (who is the next highest in the MVC) and us is $386,936.  However, the separation between us and the next highest (UNI) is only $158,216 which in today's world is not a very big gap to overcome.

When you look at the Summit, using the same reporting criteria for the 2015-16 basketball season, it is as follows: 

1. Denver - $3,361,111 - 114
  2. ORU - $2,741,483 - 140
  3. UND - $1,579,108 - 251
  4. IUPUI - $1,564,479 - 253
  5. SDSU - $1,443,001 - 274
  6. NDSU - $1,417,450 - 278
  7. UNO - $1,288,481 - 300
  8. IPFW - 1,269,206 - 303
  9. WIU - 1,238,197 - 304
  10. USD - $1,156,551 - 313. 

Even though our fellow comrades in the Summit are spending less than what our MVC counterparts are spending, I still feel that the Summit is equal to the MVC without Wichita State when it comes to upside.  What the Summit may want to do is look to raid the MVC when Wichita State leaves and get a couple of their better teams to come to the Summit.

• Upvote 2

I think we're discounting the brand of the MVC just a little. Hoop nerds like us might understand that from a quality basketball standpoint the Summit and Valley (sans Wichita) are very similar but most people don't (including most recruits). Sure the Valley is going to have to make some big adjustments to keep the brand value high(ish) but make no mistake, in terms of perception, this would be a big step up for ORU. 

Thanks for posting that research 82. Interesting information. More than anything I'm shocked by the numbers of the Dakota schools. They're having a lot of success up there for the amount of cash they're putting in. We're spending nearly double what XDSU's are spending and still getting smoked by them year after year. Troubling. 

Yes EagleManiac, it is troubling.  Our budget is double what the others are spending with the exception of Denver, and our program is headed in the wrong direction.  If that trend is not reversed this year, wholesale changes will need to be made.

That guy is a moron and a homer for NDSU and the rest of the Dakota schools. 

It has one of the best mid-major basketball conference tournaments around at the Denny Sanford Premier Center in Sioux Falls, S.D., and the caliber of overall play has taken a noticeable leap in recent years.

How else do you explain Oral Roberts finishing last?

ORU finishing last has more to do with the program collapsing on itself than the overall caliber of league play leaping us. Our NCAA tournament teams from 06-08 would have faired very well in the league today. In fact you're telling me that a George Hill IUPUI team wouldn't haven taken SDSU to task this year? GET OUTTA HERE. 

I will admit that top to bottom the league is more competitive but clearly his myopic explanation for why we finished last rubbed me the wrong way. I'M GOING TO SLEEP. 

Totally agree. Our Caleb Green, Ken Tutt, Larry Owens, Shawn King, Jonathan Bluitt, etc. teams would have dominated the league. 

We need players like we used to have. 

It's time to take back the Summit....MAKE ORU GREAT AGAIN!!!.....Changes have to be made.....no more four guard line ups...we all know the definition of insanity...|(

• Upvote 1

I think that writer has been reading our message board.  Maybe the Valley might choose not to add anyone.  Maybe the baseball coaches from the other Valley schools will be glad to see WSU leave so they have a better shot at earning the auto bid to an NCAA regional.

FYI, just came across this article about possible replacements for Wichita State in the MVC.  If true and even if the MVC lands both of these schools, the Summit is now as good as the MVC.  Kind of shocked the MVC would go for Valpo and/or Murray State, but that is their call, not mine.  Here is the link:  www.fanragsports.com/news/mvc-targeting

I would be shocked if either of those schools considered a move to the MVC. They are in established leagues (Horizon and OVC) with relatively long histories. Valpo has a good basketball history but below average facilities and are very weak in other sports.

I read somewhere that Murray State would have to pay a $750,000 exit fee and wait two years (and forfeit conference money during that period).

What bothers me is that if Wichita State had received a 3, 4, 5, or even 6-seed in this year's tournament (much closer to the type of seed they deserved) instead of a 10-seed and being considered a bubble team if they didn't win the MVC this year, this move might not have happened.  Wichita State clearly deserved a much better seed and basically the NCAA Selection Committee just damaged a storied conference with a rich history by putting WSU in this position.

The bias against preferable seeding for very good teams in mid major conferences is somewhere between aggravating and inexcusable.

I think even worse than underseeding was the fact that numerous "bracketologists" (most notably Jerry Palm of CBS) ran with the narrative that Wichita wouldn't get in unless they won the MVC tournament.

Interesting article about the top candidates to replace Wichita State in The Valley.

Having been through this process ourselves when Creighton left and was replaced by Loyola of Chicago, we all know just how important large metropolitan areas are to The Valley presidents, who will ultimately have the final say in the matter.

Which is why someone squirrelly like UMKC or Omaha may actually have a better chance than people realize of being added, perhaps along with the likes of strong-but-more-remote programs like Valpo and/or Murray State.