Michael Weathers - Miami (Ohio)

ORU82

Just read that Michael Weathers, a point guard for the Miami, Ohio Red Hawks is transferring along with his brother, Marcus Weathers.  They are from Shawnee Mission, Kansas and went to Shawnee Mission North High School graduating in 2016.  Since Miami just fired their MBB Coach John Cooper, these two announced their intentions to transfer.  They have not chosen a new school yet, and realize that if they go to another D-I school they will have to sit out a year.  Miami has given them their releases.

Michael is who you want to look at.  He is a 6'2" point guard who was the MAC Freshman POY.  He averaged 16.7 PPG, 4.2 RPG, 4.8 APG, 28.6 Minutes and had a 43.1% FG.  In high school his senior year he was ranked 189 National - 2 Kansas and was a 3 star recruit.  In high school I know that besides Miami, Creighton, Southern Mississippi, South Dakota State, UMKC and Missouri State all offered.

His brother Marcus is a 6'5" small forward and also a freshman at Miami and graduated high school in 2016.  He is averaging 9.7 PPG, 6 RPG, 24.6 Minutes and had a 51.3% FG.

I believe that they want to transfer as a "package", meaning you do not get the one without the other.  Both have stated they "want to transfer closer to home".

They would be a nice 'package deal', but unfortunately could not help us next year. We have had success in the past with transfers (Adam Liberty) and juco players (Larry Owens). 

If a coach leaves the program and a player is granted their release, I thought they would be eligible to play the following year.

You may be right Jason, the articles I read said they had to sit out a year, but I am not sure.

Here is another source of information about transfer rules.  Based on what ORUTerry posted, it does appear that even if you are granted your release from another school, you still can't play right away at the next school.  You would have to sit out for a year.  

So then why does it matter whether or not the previous school "releases" you from your commitment/scholarship.

Have they changed the rules since Darian Harris transferred from Creighton and played immediately for ORU? 

Or, was he a special exception because he red-shirted his freshman year in Omaha?

17 hours ago, ORUJason said:

So then why does it matter whether or not the previous school "releases" you from your commitment/scholarship.

you need a release to go on scholarship at the next school

29 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Have they changed the rules since Darian Harris transferred from Creighton and played immediately for ORU? 

Or, was he a special exception because he red-shirted his freshman year in Omaha?

wasn't Darian allowed to play immediately because of the "run-off rule"?

i.e. old school admits we out recruited you and the athlete receives a waiver that allows them to play right away

• 3 weeks later...