Commissioner's Cup -- Summit Conference

EaglesFan

To ORUJason's point:  Yes, the ONEOK Sports Complex is being built debt-free, and the funds are coming from outside ORU--primarily funds that Mike has raised. Alumni and friends have also contributed to this project. It's part of our 50th Anniversary Campaign.

Titansforever is correct.  Besides ONEOK, alumni were asked to contribute and did contribute as part of our 50th Anniversary Campaign.  I know this from personal experience.  Further, the track/tennis complex was pitched to us at a price tag of $14M.

$14 Million is tip money for Mart Green.....;-)

Ya know....this whole thing isn't just about winning...wins are great and we want that....but it's also about recruiting good character kids who will commit to representing ORU and its values well for 4-5 years....how are we bringing in guys who split after 1-2 years or as in one case....5 games.....???....something is wrong....and it has to change.....:oru-logo:l

If you want to feel worse about ORU finishing dead last in men's sports, please note that we sponsor 8 men's teams while most of the schools ahead of us sponsor 5-6.

I wonder if this is just the "Dakota'ing" of the conference. I know nothing of athletic/recruiting budgets, but this conference has gone from a random grouping of commuter/directional/private schools to adding larger state schools, and a school like Denver which specializes in some of the Olympic sports. Rolling up conference titles over UMKC and Chicago St. is a little different than going up against football-playing, revenue-generating flagships, even if they are in the middle of nowhere. And even if that money isn't directly trickling down to the minor sports. Our commitment to athletics, financially and otherwise, may have been enough 10 years ago with schools still considered "transitional". But I would imagine the Dakota schools have their sights set far beyond the Summit.

A lot of the winning for us in some of these sports stopped as soon as the Dakota schools showed up, but now that we're equally terrible in basketball it's even more glaring. I mentioned this before, but I can't even name a regular season or tournament title in the last 5 years outside of baseball.

On 3/23/2017 at 7:32 PM, ORU82 said:

Our MBB coach is at about $500K per year which I believe places him at the 2nd highest paid HC in the Summit.  We are currently spending about $14MM for a new track.  What are you talking about??

SDSU hired TJ at a salary of $300,000 per year for 3 years.  This is the first year South Dakota has allowed multi year contracts.  Last year, coach Nagy made $212,000.  Supposedly coach Nagy would have got about the same salary if he decided to stay but he wanted to leave after (I think) 21 years.

USD had coach Smith for $196,000 this season but since Drake was supposedly courting him, he got a raise to $275,000 per year for 3 years just last month.

I see the UND's MBB coach Bryan Jones only makes about $110,000 per year.  He was the lowest paid coach at the NCAA tournament this year.  UND just cut their women's hockey team and their men's and women's swimming and diving teams yesterday.  You would think that some of the money that they are saving there would go to their basketball coaches since their men's team went to the NCAA tourney and their women's team went to the WNIT. Both teams either won the Big Sky or were second in the season standings.

I know this is a MBB conversation but I will give you the WBB coaches salaries too as long as I see them.

SDSU-  AJ makes $205,000

USD- Plitzuweit makes $185,000

• Upvote 3

Thanks fensket33% for the info.  Clearly, ORU is outspending the rest of the Summit on MBB by a large margin with the possible exception of Denver. 

Thanks Alum, so basically we are paying at least $165K more per year for our MBB HC then our competitors, and in some cases WAY more than that.  Thus, the question then becomes, are we getting a great ROI, or could we do better?

To be honest, these salaries don't really bother me.  If you hire good people, you have to pay them well or they will work somewhere else.  However, there is a lot of accountability that comes with the higher $ salaries.

Its not the salaries themselves that bother me. Scott earned that kind of money because he put a good product on the court. What bothers me is how far the product has fallen since giving him that contract. 

To spend the most in the conference and get the worst product in return is embarrassing. If we're paying twice what our competition is paying, can we not just hire the competing coach that is consistently beating us? 

Evaluations need to be made at all head coaching positions all the way up to the AD level. 

I too have no problem paying the money and would actually be in favor of increasing that amount if we found someone to turn our programs around.  To me it is not about the money if we are winning.  The reason I pointed out what we are spending is not to complain about the amount spent but to complain because other institutions in the Summit are getting it done for way less than what we spend.  I agree with EagleManiac and others that evaluations need to be done across all of the different sports teams we field including the AD himself.  By the way, that is a fairly nice salary we are paying Mike Carter to be our AD.  And to answer my own question above, with the exception of baseball, I am not sure we are getting a very good return on investment.  I am excited however to see how the new track stadium will help the track and field teams.