Wichita State to AAC?

ORUTerry

There are numerous reports that Wichita State is under serious consideration by the AAC to join that conference. 

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article139945788.html

The fall out could impact the Summit League/ORU as there are other reports that the MVC would consider asking SDSU and NDSU to replace Wichita State - although I think that would create an imbalanced number of schools. 

Another indication of how little respect people now have for the basketball program. In past years there was a contingency of MVC fans that hoped ORU would join them but no more. I can't blame them. Nothing about the direction of our athletic programs (sans baseball) indicates that we plan on leading like in years past. If I'm them I go for the Dakota schools too. 

The summit can't survive without the Dakota's. But would they really want to leave? Is the MVC without the shockers really that much better than the summit? And is it worth enough to give up the conference tournament being held in your backyard? I just don't see that being a good move. 

Also don't see a move to the American being good for Wichita State, though I understand how attractive it might be right now. Are Cincinnati, Uconn and Houston going to stick around long term? Doubt it. They're all looking for a move up. 

The good point was made.....WHY WOULD ANY OF THE DAKOTA SCHOOLS WANT TO LEAVE THE SUMMIT???....they have it made in the Summit League. Unless there are advantages for their football programs...but I doubt it....The MVC is headed downhill if the Shockers leave.....:|

Conference RPI rankings per RealTime RPI (link: http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html)

Summit (17) - top teams: NDSU (111) and SD (116)

Missouri Valley (12) - bolstered by Wichita State (32) and Illinois St. (33)

Horizon (19)

Southland (27)

Without Wichita State, the MVC would fall several spots in the ranking.

Another reason to not leave the Summit is the $1,000,000.00 exit fee per school.  Even though the MoValley houses their football teams, it does not make sense for the Dakota schools to make the move.  Also, this was a down year for the Summit.  Last year the Summit's RPI I think was 11.

Wichita might also think about two following issues:

• What happens when/if Marshall leaves? WSU's success is tied to him.
  • What happens when football playing teams in the AAC want to move on or up? This is what tore apart the old Big East.

If WSU leaves the MVC is it even worth joining? I could see the Summit regularly finishing ahead of a WSU-free MVC.

• Upvote 1

The biggest thing in the Summit's favor is that the conference tournament is already Dakota owned. Without the Shockers the MVC really isn't that interesting. In fact I could see the Horizon League making a move for a couple MVC teams (assuming they want to expand). IMO the MVC made a huge, idiotic mistake choosing Loyola a few years back. They are a non-factor in Chicago and the Ramblers are not a distinctive brand. Dumb, dumb, dumb! 

• katz_andy_m.jpg&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Andy Katz ESPN Senior Writer

Wichita State would accept an invitation to move to the American Athletic Conference from the Missouri Valley Conference if the league decides in the coming weeks and or months to extend that offer, university sources told ESPN on Thursday.

A source with direct knowledge told ESPN on Thursday that the AAC will make a decision on Wichita State soon.

If this were to occur, it would happen for the 2018-19 season, since it would be too late for the 2017-18 season. Under NCAA rules, if a conference adds a basketball-only member, it must take all of its Olympic/non-revenue sports. That's not the case for accepting a football-only member. The AAC has a football-only member in Navy.

I don't think the Dakota schools would be interested in the MVC if Wichita State leaves (or even if they don't leave).  The MVC is not that much better now and will be similar in strength to the Summit without WSU.  Plus as several of you have said, the presence of the tournament in Sioux Falls is very positive.  There is no effect on football.  The Missouri Valley Football Conference is completely independent of the MVC, something many people don't realize.  The MVFC has 5 members from the  MVC and will have 5 from the Summit when North Dakota joins along with Youngstown from the horizon.  And the strongest programs are predominately in the Summit League, NDSU and SDSU along with an ascending UND and USD.  The fifth member Western Illinois has been as strong year in and year out as many of the MVC based programs.

• Upvote 1