Brad Underwood

titansforever

I thought Underwood was a good fit at OSU but Mike Holder can find a way to screw up anything.

Doug Gottlieb is lobbying pretty hard for the job... which would be pretty funny to see.

This article gives some details - sounds like Mike "Cowboy Way" Holder mismanaged yet another employee:

This is the sort of thing that happens when you make your golf coach your athletic director. 

There's a LOT more to the job of running an athletic department than just knowing rich people who you can convince to donate money.

They have another position in the department for that duty - it's called "Development Director".

The picture in the Daily Oklahoman is priceless. It shows how Underwood felt about Holder.

This could/should have been handled much differently. I think just proper communication would have prevented some of the tension. Not a good job by Holder.

Underwood gets this deal with Illinois the day after his first season at OSU? Come on now, I bet he never even unpacked his bags in Stillwater. And did he not meet Mile Holder when he agreed to coach there?

I don't doubt that Holder screwed it up, but I would have to believe Underwood knew that OSU couldn't, or wouldn't pay him like Bill Self, Bob Huggins or Lon Kruger, especially after the Ford debacle. Underwood bet on the fact that if OSU wouldn't be dumb enough to pay him $3 million, someone else would.

I fault Holder for going after one of the hottest names on the market last year knowing they weren't going to pay him.

Also, if players are going to get blame for not honoring their commitments, coaches should as well. What's the difference between a coach becoming "disenchanted" with his athletic director and a player feeling the same way about a coach? Except for the increase in salary?

I don't know what the % chance that Scott would leave for the OSU job, or if he's even that serious a candidate, but I could look at from both angles...

now is the time to get out, the last 2 years at ORU have been rough, and next year most likely won't see drastic improvement, make the big jump

or

the ship has sailed on any chance of Scott ever landing a high profile job

That ship HAS sailed for Coach Sutton....TheEagleman wishes that OSU would give his brother  Sean another chance but that's clearly not happening....I don't see Greg Marshall leaving Wichita St. for OSU if he makes $3.2 mill per year.....Holder wouldn't pay Underwood that much and he's not going to dish out close to $4 mill per year to lure Marshall from his big Shockers pay check (plus you get that crazy Mrs. Marshall along with it...lol)......Doug Gottlieb?...eh, I wouldn't go there either.....Now Tom Crean is the guy TheEagleman would go after....it didn't end well at Indiana but he is a really good coach with a ton of personality and something to prove...he's been in the big games....and he wouldn't cost a fortune because he needs a job....that's the man.....:clap:

Not sure how they spin the hiring of Scott at OSU. Can't see that happening. I also don't see how the heck they hire Gottlieb but heck they might! I would look at Cross at UTA as I think he has done a great job.

Holder must have really pissed Underwood off badly. He just walked in and said I quit and he was done. Not sure how good of fit he is at Illinois as that is a tough place to recruit in inner Chicago and St. Louis. Lots of ring kissing of the high school coaches and AAU guys.

7 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

That ship HAS sailed for Coach Sutton....TheEagleman wishes that OSU would give his brother  Sean another chance but that's clearly not happening....I don't see Greg Marshall leaving Wichita St. for OSU if he makes $3.2 mill per year.....Holder wouldn't pay Underwood that much and he's not going to dish out close to $4 mill per year to lure Marshall from his big Shockers pay check (plus you get that crazy Mrs. Marshall along with it...lol)......Doug Gottlieb?...eh, I wouldn't go there either.....Now Tom Crean is the guy TheEagleman would go after....it didn't end well at Indiana but he is a really good coach with a ton of personality and something to prove...he's been in the big games....and he wouldn't cost a fortune because he needs a job....that's the man.....:clap:

People just don't realize how good of a job Wichita st is. They sell out every game. He really makes close to 3.5 million per year. He has a private plane to go on recruiting trips!! Top flight facilities and he gets whatever he wants. He just makes a list and the Koch brothers ok it. That's a tough job to leave. Plus, next year they are loaded! Everyone back and might be there best team there.

• Upvote 1

Bingo, Darren!...Greg Marshall would have to be an idiot to leave Wichita St. and he doesn't appear to be an idiot....great place to coach with that rabid fan base and they pay him Power 5 money....his only issue is that crazy wife.....he needs to put her in a private box upstairs in that arena......Coach Marshall has a job for life and that town seems like a great place to live and raise a family.....he's not coming to Stillwater or anywhere else in the near future....:|

1 hour ago, darrenj said:

People just don't realize how good of a job Wichita st is. They sell out every game. He really makes close to 3.5 million per year. He has a private plane to go on recruiting trips!! Top flight facilities and he gets whatever he wants. He just makes a list and the Koch brothers ok it. That's a tough job to leave. Plus, next year they are loaded! Everyone back and might be there best team there.

The crazy thing is this year was supposed to be somewhat of a "reloading" year for WSU. With everybody they have coming back they have to be preseason top 15 going into next season.

Supposedly Wichita State is considering a move to the AAC in order to improve their strength of schedule so their future NCAA seeds will improve.  If that happened, the Missouri Valley Conference would be fairly devastated and might even move to parity or below the Summit League in the overall conference pecking order.

2 hours ago, darrenj said:

Perhaps most importantly, he does not have to compete internally with football for anything.  Men's basketball is the alpha sport at Wichita State.

Kansas is a basketball state and he is the king of Wichita and treated like royalty. As Daren mentioned, the Koch's provide him with a private plane for recruiting trips - and probably other amenities. It would have to be a special place/situation for him to leave.

Doug might be a good option for them. He's eager to prove himself and will coach with a chip on his shoulder. He's a smart guy and I think he'll be able to recruit. Plus we might get a 2 for 1 from the Cowboys if he's the coach.