"Traditional Route" Trivia

Old Titan

I may not have researched this as thoroughly as necessary, but I think I'm right:  can you guess who was the last ORU player to satisfy the following criteria:

• Signed with ORU out of high school.

-AND-

• Played four straight seasons without redshirting, losing a season to medical hardship, transferring, getting run off, retiring due to injury, flunking out, flaking out, freaking out, etc.

BONUS QUESTION:  Can you name the last one before him?

The answers may SHOCK you!!  LOL

off the top of my head.......Weezy Niles and DoMo

now i'll go see if i can figure it out

As far as I can tell, the last one was Brandon Conley.

Before that, Warren Niles played four straight seasons for ORU, but he spent one year at a prep academy after high school.  

Damen Bell-Holter signed with Missouri State out of high school, but when Barry Hinson was fired and Damon's mentor Kyan Brown lost his assistant's job there and came to ORU, DBH spent a year at a prep school in New Hampshire before coming to ORU.

Dominique Morrison graduated from high school the same year as Warren Niles (2008) and along with Brandon is the only ORU player since that year to meet the requirements.

Albert Owens would join that exclusive club next year barring any calamity, but the next possible candidate would have to be Dez McDaniel (in 2020) or one of the incoming freshmen (in 2021).

If you care to read between the lines, just think of how many freshmen ORU has signed since Domo graduated from high school in 2008.

TEN years worth of recruiting classes, and only TWO freshman signees playing four seasons in four years? 

Is that not unbelievable??

• Upvote 1

:puke:....that's a deplorable stat......TheEagleman is hoping that a kid like RJ Fuqua who has to bleed ORU blue because of his dad might be a guy who could help change the culture at 7777 South Lewis.....:|

28 minutes ago, drclean1 said:

what about tim gil....from victory>

Yes - but that was 20 years ago.

And feels even longer...

Saw D-Mo out in Vegas with Hank and he was one of those guys you had to watch a few times to see what type of player he could be. Assistant coaches from Kstate and Missouri and such watched him like maybe a half and just left to another court and Hank watched him like 4 games in a row and said he was really going to be a player. Guess he was right on that one for sure!:) 

You make an interesting point, but redshirting players should be a good thing if you have the luxury to be able to do so.  If you looked at it without considering the redshirt angle, I think it would have more meaning.

I think it is generally risky to redshirt a guy at ORU, due to the housing requirements (and the rules they entail) eventually wearing them down.

Hard enough to get guys to live in the dorm for four years - adding another year just compounds the problem.

The prevailing trend on college campuses these days - by FAR - is for kids to be living off-campus by their junior year, at the latest.  Many only live on campus their freshman year.

ORU is really behind the times in this regard.  I would imagine the living-on-campus requirement has as much to do with making money via housing fees as it does about keeping close tabs on undergraduate honor code adherence.