K-Mart

ORUalum

Saw that one coming a mile away when he was benched in February.

Gotta imagine Dez is close behind, but I have no intel on that.

Easily Scott Sutton & staff's most critical Spring Signing Period EVER coming up - games (and jobs) are won and lost this time of year.

despite being called a conspiracy theorist in the other thread, the post season community service tweet proved prophetic again.

how do you build anything when you have at least one of your top players leaving the program at the end of every season?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

how do you build anything when you have at least one of your top players leaving the program at the end of every season?

If you look at the Summit League Losses from 2016-17 (Players Leaving the Summit thread you'll see that ORU is in the top 4 for PPG, RPG, & APG lost after 2016-17... and that was without factoring in Martin's departure.

A good chance we are fighting it out with WIU to even make the Summit Tournament next season.

I'm sorry, but my initial reaction is that this is ridiculous! I get it, I'm way on the outside looking in, and many of you are closer to the inside, so if this is a result of K-Mart not being a good person and not adhering to program rules, I get it....

but ORU has players who are being recruited by this coaching staff who are not working out, and CHOOSING to leave...that's a reflection of the coaching staff and program, no?

13 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

despite being called a conspiracy theorist in the other thread, the post season community service tweet proved prophetic again.

Define "top player", please.

If you mean "among the top returning scorers from an 8-22 team that couldn't guard a school crosswalk this season", then; yeah - I'll buy that.

But, if you mean "one of the top returning players that could be instrumental in turning things around for ORU next year", then; sorry - I ain't buyin'...

1 minute ago, ORUIllini said:

but ORU has players who are being recruited by this coaching staff who are not working out, and CHOOSING to leave...that's a reflection of the coaching staff and program, no?

Either way it's a reflection on evaluation and coaching. 

We've had one our top performers leave early for the past 4 years. That speaks to player evaluation.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ORUIllini said:

I'm sorry, but my initial reaction is that this is ridiculous! I get it, I'm way on the outside looking in, and many of you are closer to the inside, so if this is a result of K-Mart not being a good person and not adhering to program rules, I get it....

Did he choose to leave?

Or, like the line from "O Brother Where Art Thou?", was he "R-U-N-N-O-F-T"?

1 minute ago, Old Titan said:

Did he choose to leave?

You're right, I (we) don't know....

how does it work with college scholarships? can a player request and will either be granted or denied by a school?

I guess if he requested and was granted then that certainly speaks volumes for Scott and company...

For me right now I would describe the last couple of years of ORU basketball as dysfunctional...

Other observations:

• Based on the percentage of them that have ended up quitting or getting fired the past few years under this staff, should Scott Sutton & Co. avoid signing so many freshmen and instead invest more heavily in jucos & transfers?  Is "everything ORU" at this point in time just too much for some (most?) 18-and-19-year-old mid-major recruits to handle?

• I know K-Mart seems like a really good kid (as did most of the guards last season), but he was really inconsistent and a lot of times selfish on the floor (as were most of the guards last season).  Strange paradox.

• Isn't player turnover at all schools in D-1 at an all-time high?  In recent years, isn't the transfer list significantly longer than the year before?  Is the AAU "greener grass" mentality running amok? Or, are coaches more inclined these days to flip the roster and provide immediate releases when things aren't working?

Does K-Mart's departure open the door any wider for Tre Evans to land at ORU?

Ben Johnson @BenJohnsonTUL

Statement from ORU coach Scott Sutton on Kris Martin... #orumbb

Sutton: "After visiting with Kris we mutually agreed that the best thing for him was to continue his career elsewhere." #orumbb

More Sutton on Kris Martin: "We wish him the best of luck as he continues to work toward his degree." #orumbb

More Sutton on Kris Martin: "Hope he finds a school where he can be successful on and off the court." #orumbb

Kris Martin @BeGreatKris 

I'm thankful and grateful for the opportunity given to me to play at Oral Roberts University!

I'm now ready to move on and continue to pursue my career and degree elsewhere.

Nothing bad to say about Coach Sutton. He's a great man and honorable coach! I wish him and his program nothing but the best!

Doesn't sound like somebody who was asked to leave.

Good for Kris. He wouldn't be doing himself any favors by talking ill of the coaching staff. This team severely underachieved, across the board, on both offense and defense. It doesn't take a basketball savant to see that Kris was clearly one of the guys on the team with a high ceiling.

It seems clear to me that Sutton has a problem with this generation of kids. Call it AAU mentality, call it entitled millennials or better yet call it ... what we have to adjust to.

Sad to see him go. Good luck K-Mart!

I too wish Kris the best of luck.  I hate to see you go.  

As for where that leaves us, with the exception of Dez who averaged an eye-popping 1 minute per game over the last part of the season, we have no other guard returning from an 8-22 squad who even sniffed the floor.  Therefore, even though we were an 8-22 team, we will now have to completely rebuild at the guard position.  All 4 guys who played any time at guard are gone.  AA, Bradley, AY and now K-Mart are gone.  I know I am stating the obvious but what really infuriates me is the fact that our beloved staff did nothing to get anyone else on this team any playing time and road the same 4 bodies to an 8-22 season.  And now, when we start the new season this Fall we will be playing with guards who have ZERO game experience on this team.  Yes, I too hope and pray we are looking for a couple bigger JUCO players who actually know how to play either guard position or preferably can play both the 1 and 2 positions.

K-Mart was going into his Junior year so I do not buy the argument that he did not like or could not live with who we are as a University.  For that matter, I do not think Daquan had that problem last year either.  His parting comment was something about wanting to play for a winning program.  How prophetic!

This is clearly on the staff.  If these players had no talent, why did they recruit these guys anyway?  Are we going to continue to try and play that 4-1 game plan the staff insists on playing even though it fails continually and miserably?  If so, that means 4 new guys are on the floor who have not had game day experience with us.  Bottom line, if next year is a repeat of the past 3-4 years, the entire staff needs to be fired.  

• Upvote 1

I'm convinced that Scott has at least another two years left, even if next year is another 20 loss season, for the same reasons previously mentioned in other threads. 

Let's just see how the roster looks in October, and see who is healthy enough to contribute.

But, even with all new faces, I find it hard to imagine the backcourt being much worse than it was this season on both sides of the ball. Time will tell!

2 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Doesn't sound like somebody who was asked to leave.

Strangely, it doesn't sound like a coach who's all that sorry to see him go, either.

At least, it doesn't sound like when Daquan Jeffries, Chris Crawford or Bobby Word left, where there was obvious shock and angst on Scott's part.

This sounds more like when D.J. Jackson, Jabar Singleton, Dederick Lee or Drew Wilson left, and there appeared to be some sort of gag rule in effect.

There's something important NOT being said here, which we may never know for sure, but I suppose it's good that both sides are apparently taking the high road.