ORU at Alabama

theeagleman5

TheEagleman is doing handstands with the ORU 5-4 win today over Bama.....we are 5-1 now and getting out the brooms for a possible road sweep at Tuscaloosa....who would have thunk it?....:eagles:

13 hours ago, ORUJason said:

A one-pitch save for Stout.  Way to be efficient...

I was really surprised not to see preseason All-American reliever Brady Womacks in that situation.

Come to think of it, following his marathon three-and-two-thirds outing into extra innings vs. Little Rock, he has not logged another appearance - is he hurt?

ORU is just 3 outs from a sweep of the Crimson Tide....5-1 in the 9th....3 hits and an RBI for Sam Grellner and 6 innings of one run pitching by Asusa....:eagles:

HOLY COW!!!....The Golden Eagles hold on for a sweep of a quality SEC team, Alabama.....5-2....Miguel Asusa gets the victory and we win despite 3 errors....ORU now 6-1 on the young season with a trip to Kansas on Tuesday up next before we head to the tournament in Minnesota next weekend....:clap::eagles::clap:

GREAT job by Folmar.  he out coached the Bama manager all weekend.  i like that he seems to moving away from that Gary Ward / Ok State "play for the big inning" mentality and moving to small ball. 

the 6th inning was a thing of beauty  ---  3 runs scored on 2 hits --- execution and timely hitting

• walk
  • sac bunt
  • single (run scored)
  • double (run scored) advance to 3rd on E
  • sac fly (run scored)

Snedeker also did a great job managing the arms.  OT must be right about Wommacks being hurt.  he did not pitch all weekend in 3 tight games.

wonderful weekend for the good guys.  it's nice to be winning again after the dreadful ORUMBB season. :clap::eagles::clap::clap::eagles::clap:

• Upvote 1

After watching practically every pitch of this series, I was really impressed by ORU's discipline and execution in all three games.

It was also an incredibly respectful series between the two teams.  I don't think I saw a single player or coach on either team argue with an umpire, or witness any players trying to show up their opponent.  In a final class act, the Alabama team waited patiently along the third-base line after the final out Sunday to shake hands with all of the ORU players.

Just a really great weekend of baseball. Thoroughly enjoyed watching it, and was proud to be an ORU fan by the way the players and coaches conducted themselves in every facet of the game. 

Well said, OT.  I was thinking many of the same things.  Great early-season baseball series. And, I absolutely LOVE ESPN3. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Old Titan said:

I was really surprised not to see preseason All-American reliever Brady Womacks in that situation.

Come to think of it, following his marathon three-and-two-thirds outing into extra innings vs. Little Rock, he has not logged another appearance - is he hurt?

I was surprised not to see Womacks too.  I also wonder about Varnell and Tims.  And will Howe be able to pitch next weekend?  I wish we could get injury reports.

Ausua seems to be a great pickup for us.  LHP from Panola JC and played for Todd Shelton there.

I like how we are running the opposing pitcher's pitch count up.  In the past we weren't good at this.

• Upvote 1

We do seem more patient at the plate this year - resulting in higher pitch counts. I also think it places more pressure on their defense. 

Nice sweep of the Crimson Tide. 

On 2/24/2017 at 7:28 PM, Old Titan said:

So impressed by this ORU team so far on the young season. Doing a lot of the little things right. 

Roark 4-for-4 with 4 RBI - yet some Dakotan will no doubt earn Summit League Player Of The Week for batting .300 in a weekend sweep of St. Olaf's School For Vikings. 

Conspiracy theory checkup

Likely finalists for Summit POW are:

Noah Cummings - 8-16 with 6 RBI in a 3-1 week against Missouri State and a sweep at Alabama 

IPFW's Brock Logan - 7-13 with 3 RBI in a 1-3 week against Chicago State, NJIT and Canisius

No disrepect to Mr. Logan, but if he wins, we will know the "fix" is in.

• Upvote 1

Chicago St....NJIT and Canisius??...:-D:rofl::rofl:....do those northern schools even have enough players to field a team of 9?...IPFW really steps out with some tough OOC scheduling....|(

TheEagleman is still basking in the glow of a weekend sweep of a pretty good SEC squad.....6-1 on the season now which is our best start in years.......Kansas tomorrow....anybody know did our team bus home last night or did they drive straight to Lawrenceville?....:eagles:

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Conspiracy theory checkup

Likely finalists for Summit POW are:

Noah Cummings - 8-16 with 6 RBI in a 3-1 week against Missouri State and a sweep at Alabama 

IPFW's Brock Logan - 7-13 with 3 RBI in a 1-3 week against Chicago State, NJIT and Canisius

No disrepect to Mr. Logan, but if he wins, we will know the "fix" is in.

• Upvote 1

ORU baseball players are a different breed. When they arrive here, it's as if they expect to win every game--and they all seem to be looking ahead to the day when they WILL play in the majors. They have CONFIDENCE. And about those unis...after this past weekend, who's laughing now? :smiling-face-smiling-eyes:

• Upvote 1

TheEagleman is not laughing at the new uniforms...they are now featured as my screensaver at home.....:oru-logo: