ORU at Alabama

theeagleman5

"Every mistake that we threw tonight, they'd hit," Goff said. "That's what good teams do. That's what a veteran team does. That's what I told our players, this is an SEC-type team. And we've got to get better."

"I thought that we got outplayed tonight in all facets of the game. Pitching, defense, base running. Just got outplayed by a better team tonight."

Howe was injured when a batter cracked a hot shot up the middle that hit Howe in his throwing arm/wrist. It hit so hard that the ball caromed off of him almost all the way to first base, where the first baseman grabbed it to make the play at first.  Amazingly, with runners at first and third and one out, the runner on third did not attempt to score, and was eventually stranded when Glaze came in and got the third out. 

Howe tried to stay in the game, but threw two practice pitches, neither of which came close (in fact, they were so out of range, neither were catchable by Whatley).  I haven't heard the prognosis on Howe's condition, but he was hit so hard, they may have to wait until the swelling subsides to make a medical determination.

Hopefully Bryce has just a bruise....we can't afford to lose our ace this early on....big game this afternoon in Tuscaloosa as ORU can put a stranglehold on the series....GO BLUE!!!...:eagles:

really impressed with the at bats early in the season.  ORU seems to be working counts and extending the opposing pitchers more so than last year..

bases loaded pitching change for Bama in the top of the 6th.......insurance runs needed.

Picked up an insurance run on a wild pitch. Had a chance to get more with batters in scoring position. Now 5 to 1 with Bama batting in the 6th. 

Bama plates 1 in the 6th and 2 more in the 7th.... 5-4 ORU.....i'm guessing we will see Wommacks in the bottom of the 8th to try and get a 2 inning save.

great job by McCutchin in the 8th and 9th and by Stout to get the final out.

Folmar has to think about moving Williams out of the 5 hole and down in the order.  why would you ever throw a decent pitch to Cummings as hot as he's been?

Tough, tough win...

First EVER weekend series win over an SEC opponent.  We did win a home series against Missou in 1979, before they joined the SEC - and won a four game home and home series against Arkansas in the early 90's, but that was played on various days throughout the season.  Nice to add this to the ORU baseball resume.

Now, might as well finish the sweep tomorrow! 

Nice win - again. I like this squad. Good pitching, timely hitting and good fielding. And they are mentally tough. 

While the Alabama commentators have been (and they admit this) total homers, they have also been very complimentary of the ORU team.  They recognize that ORU is not your normal mid-major.  Solid at the plate, on the mound, and in the field - it's an excellent combination!

Agree about the Bama announcers. Also read a thread on an Alabama message board where a commenter was degrading ORU. Another poster corrected him be recounting how many power schools ORU has beaten over the last 2-3 years. 

It's still early, but this team could be special. 

One of the Bama announcers is older and does not seem to have much baseball knowledge in general or college baseball knowledge in particular. I'm betting he's normally a football announcer and baseball is a side job. He seems stunned by each and every ORU Baseball factoid.

He also keeps referring to ORU as "pesky" and "opportunistic", like the Golden Eagles should be embarrassed for hitting opposite-field singles and bunting guys over, rather than clouting 3-run bombs. 

A true baseball announcer would be more appreciative of how masterfully ORU has played the last two days.

While I love being able to watch our guys playing Bama, and I fully expected their broadcast team to be schills, the camera work or better yet lack thereof is readily apparent.  Geez, for a P-5 school with massive resources, your video coverage is a joke.  You can not afford to place a couple more cameras around the stadium to give different looks?  Hax use to do better at JLJ with his video feed.  Hopefully our broadcast team takes notes on how not to broadcast a game.  Put at least two stationary and one roving camera in the stadium to truly show the game.

4 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

While I love being able to watch our guys playing Bama, and I fully expected their broadcast team to be schills, the camera work or better yet lack thereof is readily apparent.  Geez, for a P-5 school with massive resources, your video coverage is a joke.  You can not afford to place a couple more cameras around the stadium to give different looks?  Hax use to do better at JLJ with his video feed.  Hopefully our broadcast team takes notes on how not to broadcast a game.  Put at least two stationary and one roving camera in the stadium to truly show the game.

That being (rightly) said, it sure has been nice to see these games. Big time facility and atmosphere. 

I too am grateful to get to watch the Golden Eagles play Bama.  And, I should not complain about Bama's TV production or lack thereof.  I was just shocked that a P-5 team would put that poorly produced product on the SEC Network.  They have the resources to place 3 cameras or more in the stadium.