2017-18 (Roster, Schedule, etc)

ORUalum

I wonder why Nero de-commited from Milwaukee. He was one of the better HS players in the state this past season.

38 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

I wonder why Nero de-commited from Milwaukee.

Butler Hires Milwaukee’s LaVall Jordan As The New Men’s Basketball Coach

It took Butler athletic director Barry Collier just three days to identify, interview, and hire his new men’s basketball coach. On Monday, the Bulldogs announced that 2001 BU graduate and former men’s basketball player and assistant coach LaVall Jordan would be taking the reigns following the departure of Chris Holtmann to Ohio State.

The 38 year old Michigan native played for Butler from 1997-2001 when current BU athletic director Barry Collier was the head coach, and Jordan returned to the bench as an assistant coach to Todd Lickliter from 2004-2007. From there he spent time at Iowa and Michigan as an assistant before landing the head coaching job at Milwaukee in April 2016. The Panthers went 11-24 in his lone season as a head coach and just 4-14 in Horizon League play, but made a miracle run to the HL tournament title game as a 10 seed before falling just short of an NCAA tournament berth.

https://www.anonymouseagle.com/2017/6/13/15789526/butler-bulldogs-milwaukee-panthers-lavall-jordan-mens-basketball-coach

Caleb Nero and RJ Fuqua grew up playing together in the same AAU backcourt, coached by their dads - a formidable pair on the summer circuit in their teens.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know for a fact that ORU is contractually obligated to return a game to Richmond this season?

The Spiders' fan forum is questioning whether ORU is coming to town this season, or any season:  some seem to think the game was a "one-off" last year, just so their four Texas kids could play a game closer to home. 

https://richmond.forums.rivals.com/threads/ooc-games-2017-2018.9508/

In a pre-game post last season, ORUTerry also mentioned the unconventional reason why the game was scheduled,:

Bottom line:  if I'm Paul Mills, and there's any way of getting out of returning that game, I jump at it. 

Too far away, too penal if you lose, too marginal if you win - very little upside in playing that game, if it's not required...

The Summit League conference schedule was announced this week last summer - wonder if IUPUI bolting last month has cast a wrench into the works, and will delay the schedule being announced this year?

I, for one, must admit I did not realize the North Dakota Fightin' Crown Jewels were not dominating competing in basketball until the 2018-19 season, resulting in the league only having 8 teams this season, and a 14-game conference schedule. 

That means each game has gained a bit more importance throughout the campaign - not as much wiggle room for losing games you should win.

4 hours ago, Old Titan said:

resulting in the league only having 8 teams this season, and a 14-game conference schedule. 

With 2 less conference games, I sure hope ORU doesn't go out and add 2 games with NAIA schools....would be nice to see some more mid-major games

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, ORUIllini said:

With 2 less conference games, I sure hope ORU doesn't go out and add 2 games with NAIA schools....would be nice to see some more mid-major games

That's going to be hard, at this late date.

My guess would be a couple more "buy" games on the road, versus power 5 teams, if there are a couple still with open slots. And, even that may be tough at this late date.

15 hours ago, ORUIllini said:

Why not?

First off, the league office has approved adding more non-D1 games as an emergency measure to replace the lost IUPUI games.

Secondly, ORU needs a 20-win season just as soon as it can get it, for a variety of reasons:  post-season play, recruiting, attendance, righting the ship, etc.

Play as many non-D1's as possible, buy home games if you can afford them, frankly do whatever is possible to pad the schedule, and JUST WIN, BABY - at least for this year.

YES....YES....YES!!!!....people want wins.......let's play UCO and Tabor....schools like that....unless NJIT or  Prairie View A&M have openings.....:geek:

Non D1 Games are a real possibility.  They don't really help you reach the post season but they give you some minutes for your bench so coaches still see some value.  The overall schedule is VERY difficult as-is.  My bigger question is managing the gaps in the calendar.  Maybe we can get IUPUI to play us as a non-conference opponent.

36 minutes ago, TexasParent said:

Non D1 Games are a real possibility.  They don't really help you reach the post season...

The heck they don't!

I'm not talking about RPI, and whether non-D1 games hurt ORU's seeding in the NCAA tournament. 

I'm talking about the difference between an 18-12 record vs. a 20-10 record, and making the CollegeInsider.com field (or the CBI, if ORU is willing to go on the road to some school who paid for their right to host).

Wins. 

WINS. 

WINS!!

12 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Why not?

First off, the league office has approved adding more non-D1 games as an emergency measure to replace the lost IUPUI games.

Secondly, ORU needs a 20-win season just as soon as it can get it, for a variety of reasons:  post-season play, recruiting, attendance, righting the ship, etc.

Play as many non-D1's as possible, buy home games if you can afford them, frankly do whatever is possible to pad the schedule, and JUST WIN, BABY - at least for this year.

I get the whole wins thing, and maybe it's just me, but I would much rather see ORU play some regional mid to low major D1 program that they can beat and still add to the win column, versus what to me seems like a JV game against a D3 or NAIA school.

After the last couple of years, I think it's safe to agree that we all just want to see more wins, whoever they come against!

Agree with Illini, in theory.

But, the reality is (at this date), getting ANY D-1 games is going to be tough. Real tough.

13 hours ago, ORUIllini said:

I would much rather see ORU play some regional mid to low major D1 program that they can beat.

I'm not sure there are many (any?) programs that would satisfy that criteria this season.

I'm quite certain there weren't many/any programs that would have satisfied that criteria last season... :doh:

22 hours ago, Old Titan said:

The heck they don't!

I'm not talking about RPI, and whether non-D1 games hurt ORU's seeding in the NCAA tournament. 

I'm talking about the difference between an 18-12 record vs. a 20-10 record, and making the CollegeInsider.com field (or the CBI, if ORU is willing to go on the road to some school who paid for their right to host).

Wins. 

WINS. 

WINS!!

Im with you. I don't care how many low level games we have to play. I want wins. Those tough schedules in previous years haven't helped us at all.    Ill take a few years of cupcakes so we can get some swagger back in this program.

Let's leave Jimmy Swaggert out of this.....:-P

23 hours ago, Old Titan said:

The heck they don't!

Wins. 

WINS. 

WINS!!

I know that The NCAA only allows DI teams to play 2 non-DI teams.  Even though that Summit League gives you a waiver to play more non-DI teams, will the NCAA even count those games?

You might have an official record of 18-10 instead of 20-10 if you play too many non-counters.

I don't know if this is the case or not but it could be.  It's not the NCAA that shafted the teams in our conference so will they make an exception or not?