2017-18 (Roster, Schedule, etc)

ORUalum

Scott Sutton court....thats a wonderful thing and should be done.....and the Billy Wilson Memorial Ladies Room is also an excellent thought....:|

• Upvote 1

I wonder if Coach Mills has reached out to Jamicheal Morgan, or if that ship has already sailed.  He committed to ORU once, and now knowing what the future staff will look like, would there be any interest on his part (and on ours)?

Coach Mills indicates that we will play a more up tempo style of basketball - which will normally necessitates good guard play to push the ball up the court. Our current roster has these players listed as guards:

• McDaniel
  • Harris
  • Malveau
  • Fuqua
  • Ruder

I assume that the two open slots on the roster are for additional perimeter players - hopefully a tall, physical point guard and a great outside shooting guard.

I think Harris and Ruder are the only current guards over 6'. Let's hope that they all work on their ball handling, passing and shooting during this off season.

On 5/1/2017 at 7:26 PM, ORUalum said:
  • Owens (SR)
  • Ruder (SR - TR)
  • J. Harris (JR)
  • Ka'Juan (KJ) Malveau. (JR)
  • White (RS - SO)
  • Eman (RS - SO)
  • Miller (RS - SO)
  • Mcdaniel (SO)
  • Manek (RS- FR)
  • Sutton (RS - FR) - walk on
  • Emir Ahmedic (FR)
  • RJ Fuqua (FR)

a couple 6'3" - 6'5" combo guards to round out the roster?

a bigger guard, known for his defense, from an uptempo championship team --- well done

now, go find a 6'4" scorer/slasher combo guard to round out the roster

• Owens (SR)
  • Ruder (SR - TR)
  • J. Harris (JR)
  • Ka'Juan (KJ) (JR)
  • Ruder (SR - TR)
  • J. Harris (JR)
  • White (RS - SO)
  • Eman (RS - SO)
  • Miller (RS - SO)
  • Mcdaniel (SO)
  • Manek (RS- FR)
  • Emir Ahmedic (FR)
  • RJ Fuqua (FR)
Looks to me like we just need a (3)  6' 7' like what we lost last year who can shoot!
Something like this kid.

REALLY good read about Conley -- the recent loss of his mother and receiving an offer from ORU

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/article150408802.html

excerpt:

‘Divine intervention’

The call from Oral Roberts came last Sunday, but it wasn’t for Conley, not originally.

An assistant on Oral Roberts’ staff was calling Hutchinson Community College coach Steve Eck to ask for his opinion about another player in the conference.

“Well, he’s a fine player, but I’ve got kid that’s even better,” Eck told him.

Eck told the ORU coach to watch the film on Conley before deciding. Less than two hours later, Oral Roberts called Eck back with a scholarship offer prepared for Conley.

It was a perfect fit — a Division I program at a Christian university less than three hours from Derby.

“It’s hard not to think there was some divine intervention in all of this,” Eck said.

The first thing Papi did was phone home, sharing the news on speakerphone with his three siblings.

“You could just hear the excitement in his voice and you could tell he was smiling,” Amber said. “My mom always told him, ‘Don’t settle for less,’ because she knew how great of a player he was.

“We were all so happy to see him finally get what he deserved.”

Papi has dreams of becoming a basketball coach one day. He’s likely to pursue some type of teaching degree at Oral Roberts.

His mother won’t be there to motivate him toward these goals, but her spirit will.

• Upvote 2

Welcome aboard Mr. Conley, may God bless you in all you do and may you always stay in His perfect will.

1 hour ago, ORU82 said:

Welcome aboard Mr. Conley, may God bless you in all you do and may you always stay in His perfect well.

When I have been bad, I have felt like I have been in His not-so-perfect well.  :stuck-out-tongue-winking:

• Owens (SR)
  • Ruder (SR - TR)
  • J. Harris (JR)
  • James 'Papi' Conley (JR)
  • White (RS - SO)
  • Eman (RS - SO)
  • Miller (RS - SO)
  • Samuel Kearns (SO)
  • Mcdaniel (SO)
  • Manek (RS- FR)
  • Emir Ahmedic (FR)
  • RJ Fuqua (FR)

If I am reading this correctly, there are only 5 players on the roster now who actually played any significant minutes last year.  Wow!  

2 hours ago, ORUalum said:

#24 Samuel Kearns

Position: Guard
Height: 6-0
Class: Freshman
Hometown: San Antonio, TX
High School: Clemens

24.jpg

http://www.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2016-17/div1/players/samuelkearnsvbpu

• 12.8 --pts
  • 53.1 --fg%
  • 53.4 --3 pt fg%
  • 79.2 --ft %
  • 53.1 --fg%
  • 53.4 --3 pt fg%

Looks like Kearns has decent shot selection.

Kearns shot 52.8% (56 of 106) two point goals and 53.4% (63 of 118) from behind the 3-point line. 52.7% of his shots were 3-pointers. He shot 106 free throws (3.5 per game) - so he is not just a spot up shooter. 

Never hurts to have a good shooter.

So I just wonder if Conley and Kearns are players that Coach Perry has been recruiting over time, or if they both are players that Mills had been pursuing possibly at Baylor?

Just a thought....I'm excited about both and think they may both have an immediate impact for ORU.

Kearns is from San Antonio (Clemens High School) but played juco at North Platt Community College (Nebraska). I have to think that Mills, Hester or Patterson (or someone from Baylor) knew of this kid. He evidently was Texas all-state (6-A) on a decent high school team. I saw some mention of him not playing much AAU basketball and that we was a football player - so maybe he was overlooked? He apparently can shoot the basketball. He is 6'0" and maybe his size kept him from being recruited. Let's hope he is a unfound diamond. Ken Tutt was a 6' guard who turned out all right for us.

Conley's story was on the front page (big spread) of the Sunday Wichita Eagle. I saw it when I was visiting my mother this past weekend. Several nice mentions of ORU in the story. He is a nice sized (6'3") guard who can hopefully distribute the basketball.