Clarence Thompson

MrsSmith

:clap::clap::rock::clap::clap:....good stuff!...:eagles::eagles:

Clarence had the deepest range of anyone I've ever witnessed in person.

LITERALLY, he would cross half court and was a threat to shoot. He made some of the deepest 3's I've ever seen in a basketball game.

ah Voice...you never saw Richard Fuqua....;-)

• Upvote 1

LOL...and when Fuqua played at ORU there was no 3 point line and no dunking.....true story....Eddie Woods was such an intimidator....in some big games Coach Trickey would instruct him to Dunk one at the end of pre game warm ups to fire up the crowd and intimidate the opponent....a dunk even in pregame was an automatic technical back then...the other team would then start the game with a technical FT and the ball....LOL....also, in some big games Woods would be instructed to goal tend the first shot where the opponent drove down the middle just to intimidate them and let them know that Eddie would be there the entire game.....it was awesome.....Eddie was just a killer...played with fire and intensity.....ORU is missing that today.....:eagles::eagles:

I've seen some old videos of Eddie Woods defending & rebounding. That guy was skinny (everyone was) but wow could he jump! Hard to believe how high he got up in the air. 

TheEagleman was in the practice gym at Mabee my freshman year (72-73) and the team was goofing around after practice one day and Eddie was in a particularly good mood...he was generally a very quiet guy with a scowl on his face and you didn't often approach him unless he approached you first....but this day he was playing around with 7'0" David Vaughn, Larry Baker and Al Boswell right in front of me....I mentioned to the group that legend had it that Wilt Chamberlain could pick a quarter off the top of the backboard from a standing jump.....so one of the team interns was hoisted up and put a quarter that I gave him on the top of the backboard and on his 2nd try, Eddie picked it clean....an amazing feat for a guy only 6'7".....Wilt was 7'1"....David Vaughn was not able to do it....says something about how Eddie could get up....he was a better shot blocker than Vaughn and usually took the center jump at the beginning of each half.....if Eddie is not in the ORU HOF then he should be.....great player and really was the intimidator and glue of the great ORU teams of the early 70's......:rock:.....oh, last week I was cleaning out a closet and found a box with some old crap I needed to get rid of...in the box was a pocket schedule for ORU basketball from the 1973-74 season....we opened with Wisconsin-Milwaukee.....lol....:eagles:

Here is a thread from TEN YEARS AGO regarding the "Mad Bomber" nickname that apparently both Richard Fuqua AND Clarence Thompson share:

Re: Clarence Thompson (orusports.com 8/29/07)

Don't you just love this incredible forum where we can look back that far into the past?  I don't even remember saying that stuff!  LOL

As always, well done Doc Cornelius and ORUTerry, on maintaining this message board over the years!  :clap:

I too thought the "Mad Bomber" was Fuqua's nickname, but based on his shot selection, Clarence was a bit "mad" too.

I knew it was only a matter of time before the "quarter off the backboard" story came out.  I thought that was an Alvin Scott story though...

Bring back the flame.

Rob 

Yes, Rob....Alvin could also do it.....Alvin and his wife were my next door neighbors at Fairmont Terrace Apts in 1975-76....we lived in 5826 and he lived in 5822....sometimes I would give him a lift to campus as I was also very friendly with his brother Terry Scott who was an PE prof and asst ORU basketball coach at the time. I was not in the practice gym when Alvin picked the 25 cent piece off the top of the backboard but I was told he did it...not that Alvin would ever brag about it...a very quiet and humble guy....Alvin and Terry Scott were two very fine men.....Terry much more talkative and enjoyed going to Coney Island hot dogs back in the day with TheEagleman and Golf Coach/PE teacher Ted Gellert.....;-)....is Alvin Scott in the ORU HOF?....he had a 8 or 9 year NBA career with the Phoenix Suns and was an excellent 6th man during most of his time with them.....:eagles::eagles:

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Yes, Rob....Alvin could also do it.....Alvin and his wife were my next door neighbors at Fairmont Terrace Apts in 1975-76....we lived in 5826 and he lived in 5822....sometimes I would give him a lift to campus as I was also very friendly with his brother Terry Scott who was an PE prof and asst ORU basketball coach at the time. I was not in the practice gym when Alvin picked the 25 cent piece off the top of the backboard but I was told he did it...not that Alvin would ever brag about it...a very quiet and humble guy....Alvin and Terry Scott were two very fine men.....Terry much more talkative and enjoyed going to Coney Island hot dogs back in the day with TheEagleman and Golf Coach/PE teacher Ted Gellert.....;-)

Used to love those Coney Island dogs myself!  As a kid I remember eating at so many unique and delicious restaurants in Tulsa...

Goldie's, Bill & Ruth's Subs, Braum's, King's (Hamburgers), Taco Bueno, Village Inn and Casa Bonita was a real bonus for a 8-10 year old kid!  Anyone remember a place called "Chicken, Steak and Chocolate Cake"?  And always liked my birthday parties to be at the pizza place just a couple blocks north or ORU on Lewis Ave...on the west side of the street.  What was it called?  This was back in the 1976-79 time frame.

Too bad our basketball forum has turned into this, LOL! 

Bring back the flame.

Rob

Happy Joe's Pizza wasn't there as far I recall when TheEagleman was at ORU but I left Tulsa in 1976....used to enjoy Shotgun Sam's and there as an all you can eat buffet pizza place at 61st and Peoria called Pizza Inn but it sucked....TheEagleman loved Casa Bonita...one of my all time favorites and we would go there at least once or twice a month it was like $3.50 all you could eat which seemed like a lot of money back in those days...lol...Goldies was great for burgers along with a place called Michael's which was closer to down town....TheEagleman and his best Youngblood buddy (who shall remain nameless but he is now a Catholic Priest in NC) used to go on the brother/sister wing outings to Shotgun Sams and  they had these 20 oz. red plastic glasses for sodas but we would get them filled with dark beer and nobody was the wiser until our wing leader finally got wise to our trickery and told us not to do it again.....we also used to frequent a small gentleman's club at like 33rd and Memorial called The Regency Club where we would get 35 cent Coors draughts....LOL...we were young boys having some harmless fun and we laugh about those times now....and we thank God for his forgiveness and grace!!!....;-)

HAHAHAHA!!!....yes, I admit to a handful of minor violations but for the most part I wasn't too bad....my friend who is now the Catholic Priest was much much worse and I would draw the line at some of the things he used to do....we laugh about them now but all I can say is that 5 yellow in the men's dorm as quite a fun place to live...I was there from 1972 until 1974 when I mistakenly got married....in 72 our wing was called The Street and we had a lot of loose cannons....several guys got hammered one Saturday night  during thanksgiving break after sneaking in a two cases of COORS cans....stupidly, they dumped the cans down the trash shoot and clogged it up...when it got back to Bill Techanchuk that the trash shoot had been stuffed with beer cans he came up to our wing and threw a fit trying to find out who was responsible for it.....he never located the offenders.....TheEagleman was not involved in that one....the following year 5 Yellow become Youngblood and we were a much calmer group except for the end of the hall that I lived on...we had the late John Cardone of the famous Cardones living in 518 with my buddy who is now the Catholic Priest....that was quite a pairing...I was in 520 with a freshman from Western Okla.....I felt bad for that kid...we were nuts.....but it was mostly good clean fun.....the original Youngblood in 1973-74 was quite a crew....;-)