Denver at ORU

theeagleman5

cue the obligatory "whether we win or lose" tweet of a post game prayer in 3.........2..........1..........

Just now, ORUalum said:

THE CURRENT STATE OF ORU BASKETBALL

giphy.gif

Probably a little too kind.

Contenders for the worst team in program history. The 1994 team at least had some somewhat decent wins (Indiana St. & TCU).

This team still only has 5 D1 wins (one less than the 1993-94 team).

• Upvote 2

Albert may have violated team rules but this coaching staff violates common sense almost every game....at least the game went Over which was good for my wallet....ORU plays no defense at all...just disgraceful....almost as disgraceful as Sen. Chuck Schumer from NY......:-P

• Upvote 1

Ok, please bench at least Young and lessen the play of Bradley.  Put in Darian Harris and let Dez see the floor a lot.  Where was Chris Miller tonight and what did Albert do to not start?  This team is like watching the movie "Ground Hog Day" over and over.  For these past 2 seasons we have finished each game with Coach's vaunted 4 guard lineup featuring at least Bradley and Young and have consistently lost.  This is probably the worst loss we have had in the Mabee in years to go along with the worst season in about 23 years.  Give up thinking this team is going to salvage anything this year.  Start building the team for next year.  Who cares at this point about losing the rest of the season.  We are already doing that.  Play only the younger guys and AA.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

Where was Chris Miller tonight and what did Albert do to not start? 

the new radio guy stated Miller was still out sick and only said that the disciplinary action on Albert was a result of something that happened in practice

This team packed it in at about the 10 minute mark tonite....TheEagleman did likewise flipping on Fox News and Tucker Carlson.....ORU is 7-17.....get ready for 7-23.....who would have thunk it???.....this is a disgrace......;(

I guess Scott doesn't want to play Albert and Eman at the same time, period.  They are generally both on the floor together for maybe 6-8 minutes a game.  I can understand tonight because Chris Miller was still out with flu-like symptoms.  However, once you get deep into the 2nd half and neither player is in foul trouble, you have to get both those guys in the game.  It is the only way this team can win the rebounding battle and the only way we can hope to have a low-post defensive presence.

You have to give it to the guards who consistently have to guard taller players due to the lineups Scott puts on the floor.  I think that when Denver started hitting 3s when we were missing 3s, it broke this team's will.  Up to this point, this team has been giving 100% effort and has been on the losing end of several close, discouraging games.  However, they had seemed to keep a positive attitude.  Somewhere in the middle of the 2nd half, I did not see the team give up, but I saw despair on their faces.  If anything, the coaching staff gave up by sticking with the 4-guard lineup with Jalen and Aaron Young on the floor at the same time.

Tonight's game has changed my perspective on what needs to happen.  Something has to change.  I hope that Scott and Sean can figure out what needs to change so that they can change it.  I want them to turn this team around to give us hope for next year.  But it appears that Scott and Sean at this point have had many opportunities to reach into their bag of tricks and things are not getting better.  I have seen some player development this year, such as Albert emerging with more confidence.  But beyond that, I have not seen other players develop.  There is talent and potential with this team, but there is not enough player development.  As a result, they keep games close when they are shooting well, but lose by 20+ when they do not shoot well.

Javan White will help next year, but he unfortunately doesn't appear to be Caleb Green either, from what we saw last year.  Manek will probably provide some rebounding and scoring, but we really do not know enough about him to know if he could be a difference maker.  Chris Miller has shown some flashes mixed with a lot of turnovers and fouls, so overall he has been a disappointment.  What I am saying is that looking at this situation realistically, I do not have a reason to hope that next year's team will be remarkably different that this year's team.  So, if something doesn't change next year, then there needs to be a change at the head coach level.  Scott is making big-time $ and the team that he has coached for 17 years is in last place in the Summit League.  ORU is not getting value out of this current team based upon the $ that are invested in the current coaching staff.

I do not recall the exact numbers, but most of the current Summit League coaches that are succeeding this year have much lower salaries.  This may seem like a really negative post, something I do not normally do.  However, tonight's game changed my entire perspective.  I hope that Scott and Sean can turn things around, but I suspect that they are unfortunately out of ideas.  I sincerely hope they prove me wrong.

• Upvote 2

In a season filled with low points, this is rock-bottom. 

To surrender 93 points at home - 59 in the second half - to a deliberate, motion team that is trying to run clock, not score in bunches, is beyond explanation.

Soul-searching time:  there's still a month to go in the season.  Where, oh where, to go from here?

Good point OT about Denver's deliberate slowdown style.  I kept thinking in the last couple minutes of the game that Denver could have topped 100 points and made the score worse if they went uptempo.

A month ago, I laughed at the prospect of ORU missing the Conference tournament.  Now, it will take a herculean effort (and a lot of help from other teams) for ORU to NOT earn the "doormat" label.  In a league where everything hinges on "three days in March", it is incredibly embarrassing to not have the opportunity to play on those three days.

A 24 point loss at home to Denver U.....yes....this truly is rock bottom......Denver is really good at hockey but mediocre at basketball.....ORU is now officially the DOORMAT of the Summit League....TheEagleman also does not like to post negative stuff about his beloved alma mater but this is about as low as I have seen the mens basketball program in the past 20 years.....changes must be made and hopefully we have the intelligence to make them.....I am a big fan of Scott Sutton and I will never call for his head....but we can't continue going along the same path not only finishing under .500 but we aren't even going to win 10 games.....recruiting and scheduling changes need to be made as well.....everything needs to be reviewed....I understand that we pay a lot of $$$ to our coaching staff....highest paid in the Summit League....but this team has been on a downward spiral for the past 5 years since DoMo left.....it's a sad day.......;(

On a positive note....KEEP BETTING THE OVER!!!...it's like getting an extra tax refund every week.....this ORU team is guaranteed to give up 85+ every game.....;-)

i started the year saying Sutton deserved this season and next to fix things.  it's getting very tough to justify another year.

for the Tulsa folks, is there any chatter among what boosters are left that Wilson will do anything to fix ORU basketball?

One quick look at Oral Roberts’ student section Tuesday night told you all you needed to know about ORU’s 93-69 home debacle against Denver.

With less than three minutes remaining, the students who stuck around to watch were buried in their cellphones. There was no need to keep watching Denver dismantle an already beleaguered Golden Eagles club.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/long-night-for-oru-fans-as-denver-wins-big/article_b9fa61df-11b0-5825-baad-ab9bc0e52618.html#.WJFxl_LaLcs.twitter

Geez...Coach Sutton looks and sounds almost suicidal....I feel for the guy......they need a lot of prayer and a lot more hustle.....right now this is a defeated team and coaching staff.....we have to turn this around quickly or the final six games could be even more embarrassing.....giving up 70 points in 23 minutes to DENVER is almost impossible.....the Pioneers aren't Kentucky.....:-(

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

On a positive note....KEEP BETTING THE OVER!!!...it's like getting an extra tax refund every week.....this ORU team is guaranteed to give up 85+ every game.....;-)

I posted a warning a few weeks back that opposition scoring might go up even MORE the second time through the conference schedule.

Tuesday night was a case in point: Denver scored just 77 points in a home win over ORU a month ago, which is right at their season average of 76.8 points per game.  The Pioneers scored 93 Tuesday night in the Mabee Center.

Think about it:  how many teams go on the road in conference play and score 16 points better than their season average?

Don't bother looking it up, I can tell you:  not many.

Unless, of course, they're playing ORU this year... :doh:

I have given a lot of thought as to why Aaron Young and Jalen Bradley get so much playing time.  I think it is because they are two of the better 3 point shooters on the team.  Scott knows that we may need to outscore our opponents and you need shooters to do that.  When Jalen is nailing shots, it picks up the whole team.  However, when the shots aren't falling, it can get a little ugly.