Fort Wayne at ORU

theeagleman5

IPFW got off to a great start this season and even beat Indiana on the road when they were ranked #3....they are 15-7 overall but the Mastadons have tailed off and lost 3 of their last 4 games...however, they are coming off a 103-73 spanking of IUPUI and may have righted the ship.....Fort Wayne is dangerous and can score lots of points as evidenced by the 102 they hung up on us earlier in the month....and we never old anyone under 80 anymore so this game tomorrow at Mabee Center has all the earmarks of a big time shootout...the OVER is almost a certainty...ORU is coming off a very tough loss at NDSU and the only thing predictable about our boys is their unpredictability....but here's the deal...we have been tough at home....7-1 with the only loss a head scratcher vs. IUPUI....ORU is clearly a different team on the home court and for some reason, I think we will find a way tomorrow....plus, it's always hard to beat a team twice within the same month and personally I don't see a huge difference in the talent level between these two squads....Big Albert has been on fire and Martin and Bradley also play well at Mabee......I expect both teams to score 90+ and would not be shocked if ORU and IPFW combined for 200+ points....Get ready for some old fashioned Ken Trickey Run and Gun Basketball just like the old days when the headline in Sports Illustrated read....PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE BALL TO FUQUA....yes, it really happened in a 1972 article......so TheEagleman calls this one  ORU 104  Fort Wayne 97....GO BLUE!!!   :eagles::hcsutton2::tb-white:

• Upvote 1

First half 11:24 - ORU 14 IOFW 17

We are missing lots of easy shots

Don't see Chris Miiler on the bench. 

how in the world does ORU not have 2 people on the lane when Albert is shooting a 1-and-1????   of course the ball bounces directly to where an ORU player should have been standing after Albert misses.   just absurd....

• Upvote 1

That rebounding sequence before the last commercial break was pretty pathetic.  They just let FW get 3 or 4 offensive rebounds before they converted the last one for a bucket.  Frustrating.

ORU finally got the lead and once again could not defend the baseline out of bounds play.  they give up an easy lay up and then FW wins with FTs.

10 straight OVERs for ORU games

Tough loss....how does KMart go scoreless?....oh well....TheEagleman cashed big again teasing ORU and the over....easy $$$....had Good Guys +8.5 and 161.5 on the over...this team now 7-16 and the season on a downward spiral....thought we would get this one today....we just stink....:(:hcsutton::n:

How does a team, playing at HOME, get 20 more free throw attempts as their opponent, yet still surrender 87 points and lose?

AJ with 4 rebounds in 31 minutes. Six other players in the game had as many or more. Guard John Konchar for IPFW had FOURTEEN.

Virtually guaranteed the first 20-loss regular season since Bill Self's first year back in the mid 90's.

i ridiculed a preseseason blogger who speculated ORU might finish ninth and miss the conference tournament. Reality check: ORU is in a 3-way tie for last place with SDSU and IUPUI, with one more road game the rest of the way than the other two cellar-dwellers. Not looking good right now for a trip to Sioux Falls.

The question then becomes do you start to give more PT to Dez, Darian Harris, Jontray Harris, Chris Miller, RJ Smith and Manek?  In other words start preparing for next year.  If we win all 7 remaining games we still finish 14-16.  So, even if we loose the next 7 playing all of the younger guys, what difference does it make?

• Upvote 1

1. Is making the Summit tournament even a good thing at this point?

2. Developing players for next season should be the number one priority.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

The question then becomes do you start to give more PT to Dez, Darian Harris, Jontray Harris, Chris Miller, RJ Smith and Manek?  In other words start preparing for next year.  If we win all 7 remaining games we still finish 14-16.  So, even if we loose the next 7 playing all of the younger guys, what difference does it make?

• Dez -- have they decided he won't be back next year?? no reason he should not be getting minutes otherwise
  • Darian -- should get all the minutes he can handle
  • Eman -- ditto
  • Jontray -- out with a foot injury.....i think they said for the rest of the year
  • Miller -- foul trouble all season has cost him minutes
  • RJ -- red-shirting
  • Manek -- red-shirting.....will be interesting to see him play next year.  real upside or Byford 2.0?

Forgot that RJ and Manek were red shirting.  Did not realize about Jontray's injury.  But as for the rest, why not put them on the floor as much as possible.  That includes Dez.  If he does transfer, the question becomes why?  We lost 2 potentially good freshman last year, one of whom allegedly stated he wanted to play for a winning team.  Why are they not at ORU?  Is this a pattern?  Why?  Our level of play as a team has gone down over the last couple of years.  Why?  We have an HC in his 18th season.  Why is this happening now?  Play the younger guys.  Who cares if we lose the next 7 if we are playing all the younger guys building for next year.

From a coaching perspective, you have to try to win every game.  What if ORU wins 4 of their next 7, which could certainly happen, and they end up with a 5 seed in the Summit League tournament.  That gives you a better chance to win the tournament than if you come in as an 8-seed.  It also gives the team more confidence that they could win the tournament when they have been playing better.  So you don't throw away the season.  You play your best players.

This Summit League Tournament will be wide open this year.

It also helps recruiting if you at least have double digit wins and are in the middle of the pack in your conference vs. being at the bottom of the league.

• Upvote 1

"You play to win the game!" - Herm Edwards

Yes, the season has been a downer....but, most of the conference games have been close, so I would expect ORU to fight in the remaining games to keep them close as well and pull out a few more wins...get into the conference tourney and see what happens...

Not having Jontray the rest of the year will hurt because his minutes could help others get some breathers, and unfortunately he loses valuable game experience...not having Jontray AND Chris yesterday I think played a big part in the loss....along with K-Mart not scoring a flippin' point!

Would not be a shocker to me if Dez left after season...there's always some movement each year, just hope it's not a total surprise of someone we never expected...

I know playing the whole "what if" doesn't change wins or losses, but I just wonder what kind of discussions we are having if Javan is healthy all year?