Omaha at ORU

theeagleman5

Omaha comes to town at 11-9 (4-3 Summit) having won four in a row and in 2nd place....TheEagleman knows that the Mavericks are the better team but are they good enough to win 5 in a row?...I think not...it all comes down to which ORU team shows up at Mabee Center tomorrow afternoon...will we play with intensity that we showed in the 2nd half  vs S.D.  or the all game malaise that we have played with in most of our losses?....i honestly cant say....flip a coin....but we are home and we really need this win....And TheEagleman is a sucker....ORU 86 Omaha 82....:eagles:

nice win......that had to feel good for JB to have a game like that against Omaha.

good to see Albert bounce back to have a good game after the slow start

8 straight "overs" for ORU

Good team win.

Impressed by Bradley's statline today.

7 assists

1 turnover

7/12 FG

Not much Defense is required when you score 103 as ORU did vs. Omaha today at Mabee in a 103-86 win.....Ken Trickey must be smiling down on his old team...the "Run and Gun" has returned to campus..Albert a huge 2nd half after starting out 0-6  ends with 28...Martin and Bradley also 20+...ORU now 7-14 and 3-4 in the Summit...moving into the middle of the pack and a big game vs first place NDSU coming up next.....:eagles::hcsutton2::clap:

I do feel like there were some improvements on defense in this game.  There were still a lot of open 3 point attempts but there weren't as many easy drives allowed to the basket.  

I definitely think Omaha is a better team than USD, so I consider this to be a good win.  Omaha has several decent players and they will win quite a few Summit League games this year.  Hollins was impressive.

Albert was cold to start the game, but once he got going, he couldn't be stopped.  He is getting better at dealing with the double team and is gaining an understanding of how to pass out of the double team.  Nzekwesi seems to have a lot of offensive potential, but he is mostly getting putbacks and rebounds at this point.  I will certainly take the double-double effort and I appreciate those putbacks because offensive rebounds have been hard to come by this year.

Hopefully today's game represents this team turning the corner and becoming a more complete team.  If they play like they did today, they will win most of their remaining Summit League games.  

We also hit 26-29 free throws today.  That is impressive, including 6-7 from Albert Owens.  He has improved his FT shooting this year vs. last year.  With as confidently and aggressively as Albert was playing, if he did not make a basket, he was often drawing a foul.  If he can get to the FT line and make most of his FTs, he becomes even more of a threat.  I certainly hope he is able to maintain this high level of play.

Another nice win by ORU! Tyus getting 2 quick fouls and sitting out 15 minutes of the 1st half I think was a big factor in ORU getting the win.

ORU will be a big underdog next Wednesday @ NDSU, and I'm not expecting a win....but the four after NDSU are games ORU can win, Ft. Wayne and Denver at home, @ SDSU, Western at home....if they can put a nice streak together over the course of those games, I think ORU could be a factor in the Summit tourney...

• Upvote 1

Post-game observations:

The offense is really clicking right now, but can/will the defense ever hold anyone under 80 points?

Jalen Bradley is really playing at a high level, but can/will he keep it up on the road?

i really like our "bigs".  I haven't seen anything close to them so far in the league.

ORU is now in a 4-way tie for 5th place, and remarkably just one game out of the coveted 2nd-place bye slot.

The Summit is simply not as strong this year as in past seasons, which is obviously to ORU's advantage.  There's no Nate Wolters or Lawrence Alexander walking through that door. It's anybody's title in Sioux Falls.

Jevon White is the tallest guy in the ORU huddle by a considerable amount, and his jeans barely reach the top of his tennis shoes. Can you say "growth spurt"?

Nice crowd today, compared to the rest of the season.  I really like the 3pm Saturday starts. I hope they continue next year.

Best ORU game I have been to in years.  Love having 3 players score more than 20.  Albert looked like a different player to me--dominant in the second half with some great post up moves. Nzekwesi kept giving 100% up 15 - 20 in the final minutes.  I really like it when both big men are in the game at the same time (but I guess they need some rest). Omaha only had 13 points at the 10 minute mark.  They had one guy that was their entire offense in the first half and we did better on him in the second half.  I don't know how total possessions compare to other games, but I bet they had a lot since we were scoring quickly on many trips,

• Upvote 1

Hard to comprehend but a huge game at NDSU on Wed nite for ORU. If we can find a way to steal this game then we are in the mix for a Summit Tourney bye....the Bison are really hot and I cant see us winning up there but who knows. Albert Owens is a big time player right now and if we can shoot 50+% like we did today...we have a shot....this is a weird and unpredictable team....:eagles:

It was Parents Weekend at ORU on Friday-Saturday, so lots of parents were at the game in the section next to the students. There was a comment at their post-game dinner that we should have parents at all of our games!